Hypothesis: at some point in the future you will be able to place an order with a manufacturer for one of their historical designs, and it will be fabricated for you on demand.

I'm thinking of music in the 1980s which was incredibly expensive by today's standards. There were even songs or albums that you hunted for and if rare, you'd think that's it, I'll never hear that song again unless it's rereleased at the whim of the record label. Now of course you can go onto Spotify and listen to just about anything you like. Songs that you thought were gone for good are now at your fingertips.

The journey from then to now in the music business has been pretty painful, and has been driven to a significant degree by piracy.

The parallels with the wristwatch industry are clear. Music is just data, as is design. The trend through history is for data to become less expensive. With improvements in 3d printing etc, how long before the improvements in fake watches start to undermine prices and spur a response from the industry such as my hypothesis?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk