closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's the story with (5 digit) Rolex GMT's?

Master

What's the story with (5 digit) Rolex GMT's?

I'm hoping this thread won't descend as many Rolex topics tend to, this is of genuine intrigue to me and I'm curious to get others opinions..

I've been tracking the prices of luxury watches over the past 12 years or so. Clearly many brands/models have appreciated significantly over this time. However focussing specifically on pre-owned 5 digit Rolex sports (and excluding Daytona's as these have always existed in a market of their own - waiting lists etc), I remember around 2009-12 the Sea-Dweller was the most coveted, selling at a slight premium over the Submariner's/Explorer's/GMT's of the time. Then the 16600 was discontinued and prices went a bit crazy for a while, I can understand this as at the time it wasn't clear the Sea-dweller would ever be produced again.

Prices quickly settled down once the new model was announced, meanwhile the Sub's/GMT's/Explorer's had been steadily appreciating so it wasn't long before prices were pretty much back on par. Again, talking specifically 5 digit Rolex sports, these all seemed to appreciate on a steady path right up until 12-18 months ago, when suddenly the 16710 accelerated from the others. Looking back through SC as little as 20 months ago these were selling for £5K, around half of asking prices now. I just wondered if the forum had any opinions why this would be, when all other factors relating to these models have remained equal?

What's the story with (5 digit) Rolex GMT's?

Pulled up by the six-digit ones, especially the steel Pepsi on jubilee I’d have thought. Lots of people, unable to get one at list, would have seen the previous generation at half of what greys wanted for the 126710.

As much as I like my 16710 I think it's some kind of bubble that's going to burst when the economic recession starts.

And just as said before it's probably because there's such huge demand for the 6-digit GMT (for whatever reason, personally that model does nothing for me).

I wrote this article a bit over 2 years ago and they were going for around 6K euros. I thought it was a silly price back then.
    https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...ster-ii-16710/

I’ve never been a fan of the 16710, when the 16750 wasn’t too much more, and was the perfect mix of modern and vintage - plus still a true GMT Master and not a Master II.

Id take the plain black ceramic over the 16710 personally, or any size/colour Explorer II.
    It's just a matter of time...

Yes, seems quite odd when viewed in isolation, but not so much when you look at what has happened to pretty much all vintage and certain newish pre-owned watches over the last 2-3 years, particularly those with additional complications like GMT's/Chronos etc.

I remember when I bought my 16600 about 7 yrs ago, I was quite tempted by a 5 digit GMT, simply because they could be had privately for between 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the dweller, and I liked them almost as much... Looking at values over the last 12 mths or so, I really wished I had! Price wise, the SD seems to have stood still for some time now, to the point where you could almost get two for the price of one 16710 (bit of a stretch, but you get the idea!).

Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Yes, seems quite odd when viewed in isolation, but not so much when you look at what has happened to pretty much all vintage and certain newish pre-owned watches over the last 2-3 years, particularly those with additional complications like GMT's/Chronos etc.

I remember when I bought my 16600 about 7 yrs ago, I was quite tempted by a 5 digit GMT, simply because they could be had privately for between 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the dweller, and I liked them almost as much... Looking at values over the last 12 mths or so, I really wished I had! Price wise, the SD seems to have stood still for some time now, to the point where you could almost get two for the price of one 16710 (bit of a stretch, but you get the idea!).
    16600 was much more expensive when new and the production numbers are probably 1/5 of the 16710 (just my uneducated guess). In that sense it's weird that 16710 is so much more expensive and more "collectible".

Exactly, odd indeed. I was talking used prices btw for both models, back in 2012 ish.

Blog Entries
    Iconic watch and worth every penny, especially when you consider they are potentially 6 watches in 1 (3 x bezel inserts combined with 2 bracelet options). But agree they have continued to rocket in recent times, let alone the prices of rarer variations; stick dials, rectangular dials, 3186 movements.

Incidentally I rarely see 16710's out in the wild.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 7th December 2019 at 14:01. Reason: Spelling

I don’t know if it is a phase or this is going to continue but quite a few regard it as the best GMT Rolex has made. Quick set date, five digit profile, mostly non T dials and relatively well preserved since they are a little more recent. It has the best of both worlds for many - vintage with some modern features. Rare enough for the prices to zoom up as they have.
    Personally, I prefer the 1675 or 16750- aesthetics wise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don’t know if it is a phase or this is going to continue but quite a few regard it as the best GMT Rolex has made. Quick set date, five digit profile, mostly non T dials and relatively well preserved since they are a little more recent. It has the best of both worlds for many - vintage with some modern features. Rare enough for the prices to zoom up as they have.
    Personally, I prefer the 1675 or 16750- aesthetics wise.
    16700 has the quickset date
    Not the 16710

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Pulled up by the six-digit ones, especially the steel Pepsi on jubilee I’d have thought. Lots of people, unable to get one at list, would have seen the previous generation at half of what greys wanted for the 126710.
    Yes, I suppose I hadn't really considered that as the six digit models personally leave me cold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don’t know if it is a phase or this is going to continue but quite a few regard it as the best GMT Rolex has made. Quick set date, five digit profile, mostly non T dials and relatively well preserved since they are a little more recent
    Whilst this may be true I don't see this as the driver as the subs/explorer's/SD's of the same era also had these features so would surely also be considered the 'best' of their type and command similar prices?

I also don't see the technical features of Rolex watches playing that large a part in their desirability - the older GMT references still command higher prices whilst being technically 'worse' watches.

Master
    I think it's simply the versatility and splash of colour, in the same way that I've always preferred a blue Tudor sub over a standard Rolex sub. I've toyed with buying a 16710 but can't bring myself to pay the premium they now command.
    The 16600 is the better watch though and feels it on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think it's simply the versatility and splash of colour, in the same way that I've always preferred a blue Tudor sub over a standard Rolex sub.
    I absolutely understand this as a reason for choosing this model over the others, however this has always been a feature so to me doesn't explain the recent changes.. unless this look is particularly on trend right now for some reason?

Master
    The 5 series are discreet and can be worn without many people noticing whereas the 6 series just screams out ROLEX. That is a big difference to a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The 5 series are discreet and can be worn without many people noticing whereas the 6 series just screams out ROLEX. That is a big difference to a lot of people.
    Yes... Due to 5 series being that old people’s memories have faded and they have no idea what they look like nowadays ;-)

I’d agree that the 6 digit models have become bigger, louder and more jewellery like. That surely adds appeal to the 5 digit series for many.

That said, I see a place for both and enjoy both. The GMT is particularly iconic and versatile. Pre ceramic subs appear to have gone a bit crazy recently too and it seems the GMT premium is still about where it was a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16750 - plastic crystal, quick set and available with two Dial types, 3 if you include nipple dials on the gold and tutone models.
    16760 (aka fat lady) - synthetic crystal, not quick set, the original GMT 2 - basically the same as a 16550 but with a moveable bezel.
    16700 - replacement to the 16750, synthetic crystal with quick set. Cheaper than the 16710, but made for a shorter period and therefore rarer.
    16710 - replacement to the 16760, synthetic crystal, not quick set.

I have a 16750, 16753 and 16700 and a brace of 16550's - of all of them my heart belongs to my 16750

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

As a 16710 owner I'm the first one to admit that 1675 and 16750 are visually superior looking.

I wish I bought one when they were still cheap. I totally understand why they are desirable and expensive.