closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first CWC G10

My first CWC G10

Hi all,

Just wanting to share, I recently purchased this 2006 CWC G10 from eBay seller "the-watch-maker" in llanelli, Carmarthenshire, UK for £109 with free shipping to the US. It has a new acrylic crystal, battery, and strap, and appears to be in good condition for an issued watch.

I bought this as a Christmas gift for my 13-year-old son, his first proper watch and birth-year watch. It's an affordable, sturdy quartz, so won't require much careful attention to wear, and the size will suit him.

My son is interested in history, and he occassionally tells me he likes my watches, but does not wear watches himself. I am hoping this British Army watch will appeal to him, and he will keep it for years to come, even if he does not decide to start wearing it now.

Personally I think this G10 is quite handsome. As a novice I do not know much about the characteristics or qualities that make some G10s more desirable than others, or what to look for in terms of authenticity, etc, but for my purpose with this example, I am pretty happy.

What do you think? I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice looking watch with easy battery change,well worth the money imho.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Nice looking watch with easy battery change,well worth the money imho.
    Agreed. Even though prices have gone up recently, they still represent good value for money imo.

The look is classic, simple, plain and utilitarian. All of which are goods things in this context.

I'd have been cock a hoop at 13 if I'd been given a watch like that as a present (that's not to saying I wasn't very grateful and pleased with whatever my parents gave me all those years ago).

It looks very nice. I have an immaculate 2006 with the plastic protection still on the crystal. The military must of disposed of a very good batch even though in very good condition. Because they were more that 10 years old?

You can’t go wrong with a G10
    I hope your son enjoys the watch.
    I have an 06 issued watch and it still glows.

Good stuff.

It was a search for info and advice on buying a G10 to use as a work watch (Fire Service) that brought me to this forum. You've made a great choice for your lad. I bought a new one from Silvermans back then, still have it along with an issued W10 from 1983 and a 6BB RAF Precista from 1984.

You both may find the following links interesting . . .

http://www.horologycrazy.com/2009/06...-markings.html

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfett...06/15/cwc-g10/
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks for those links and comments. Since I’m giving this one to my son, I may need another for myself.

I love my G10. I bought it to myself as a birthday present in 2017 and it's actually my most expensive Quartz. I have a growing collection of Natos to change it up which is fun so I hope your 13 year old likes it. To be honest the military style is making me look seriously at the IWC Mark XV series.

You can't go far wrong with a G10, I also have an 06 example along with an 1980 issue.
    Not being a great fan of the NATO straps I wear mine on a grey Eluit Perlon.
    I hope your son enjoys his gift.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I would've been elated. In 2006, my dad took me to the base exchange and let me pick out a watch. I picked out a timex expedition, but i wouldve loved something like this; a real military watch.

Funnily enough i bought a G10 from the same seller on eBay about a month ago. I knew it was a good deal soon as i saw it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    To teh OP, lovely watch. As other stated, I don't think you can go wrong with the G10.

I'm thinking of buying another one of eBay as well. I found one I liked and the price seems more than fair but my only concern is the seller states it needs a new battery and I'm worried I'll get a dud.

@brummie64 The watch looks great on the perlon.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    To teh OP, lovely watch. As other stated, I don't think you can go wrong with the G10.

I'm thinking of buying another one of eBay as well. I found one I liked and the price seems more than fair but my only concern is the seller states it needs a new battery and I'm worried I'll get a dud.

I would be wary of buying stated non working watches due to battery, a seller can easily and cheaply change the battery in these watches. Its not as if you have to remove the back.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Tell the seller to fit a new battery make sure it runs OK for 48 hours and You will buy it and pay for the battery.If He won’t I bet the movement is dead.

Master
    Thanks lew07 and brummie64. I've mailed him and I'll see what he says.

@williemays apologies for hijacking your thread, I'll let normal service resume.

Journeyman
    What a beaut

Master
    I was looking at eBay on Thursday and came across a listing for a CWC G10 by the same seller the OP bought from. I took the plunge and now I’m also a proud owner of a G10. It’s a lovely watch. I like the simplicity and legibility. I’m indifferent to the NATO it is on but plan to replace it with a grey perlon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You cannot beat a CWC G10 I really miss the one that I had. I have a Pulsar G10 from 2009 which is mint, so if any of you good forum members have a spare CWC to trade for my watch please PM me.

One of my all time favourite watches. '80/'82.

Apprentice

Great watch but wish they were waterproof

I have a '98 CWC G10 and really enjoy wearing it. I do wish it was waterproof/spashproof as I'd wear it so much more.

One of these as a gift for a teenager is a great idea...

Quote Originally Posted by C0ders View Post
    I have a '98 CWC G10 and really enjoy wearing it. I do wish it was waterproof/spashproof as I'd wear it so much more.

The more recent versions have a screw down crown, sapphire crystal and decent water resistance (100m)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C0ders View Post

I thought they were 50m WR which is a lot more than splash proof.

Master
    I made that mistake on holiday in Tenerife one year - took it swimming - ruined it.

maseman

I thought they were 50m WR which is a lot more than splash proof.

Craftsman
    Believe the early examples were rated at 30m up to the thinner case versions entering service from 87 when it went to 50m.

However water damaged examples coming up surplus are not uncommon, suggesting water/moisture ingress was an issue in service, for example the 60,000-77,000 s/n range from the 1990/91 contracts seem particularly prone to lum rot and dial corrosion.

Because of this I avoid wearing G10's if its likely to get wet; use a CWC Sub Hunter with much better water protection with its screw down crown when walking, out on the MTB etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Believe the early examples were rated at 30m up to the thinner case versions entering service from 87 when it went to 50m.

However water damaged examples coming up surplus are not uncommon, suggesting water/moisture ingress was an issue in service, for example the 60,000-77,000 s/n range from the 1990/91 contracts seem particularly prone to lum rot and dial corrosion.

Because of this I avoid wearing G10's if its likely to get wet; use a CWC Sub Hunter with much better water protection with its screw down crown when walking, out on the MTB etc.
    Wait! You have your own Motor Torpedo Boat? :o)

One problem with the G10 and water can be the battery hatch gasket. I have to wonder how many older G10s have knackered or non-existent gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The more recent versions have a screw down crown, sapphire crystal and decent water resistance (100m)
    Even better, they're 200m which seems crazy for a field watch. The GS Sapphire is a great modern option.