closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WWI German battleship Scharnhorst found near the Falklands.

Blog Entries

WWI German battleship Scharnhorst found near the Falklands.

A local Marine archeologist from the Falklands has discovered the remains of German WWI Battleship Scharnhorst. (WWI, not the WWII version of the ship) The ship went down, with the crew and its commander Graf Von Spee (Yes another WWII ship was named after him) near the Falklands after a heavy sea battle with the British Navy. The so-called Battle of the Falklands on December 8th, 1914. https://en.mercopress.com/2019/12/05...lklands-waters

It took the marine archeologist about 5 yrs to find it. The Brits had made a mess of the navigation during the fights and the postition where the Scharnhorst went down was virtually unknown. The ship went down with its 2200 men crew and rests on the sea floor at about 1600 meters/1 mile depth.

The Battle of the Falklands was the result of the German fleet being very successful at the other end of Cape Horn! In November 1914, there was another sea battle between the Germans and the British Navy, resulting in the Battle of Coronel, with two British battleships downed. (Coronel being a town in Chili).

For more info: Wikipedia: Battle of Coronel, Battle of the Falklands and Scharnhorst Imperial Marine. All very interesting reading when you take your time and let it all soak in.

Last edited by thieuster; 5th December 2019 at 13:56.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hope they leave it well alone, it's a war grave.

mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

mike
    Quite right

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

mike
    From the linked article (for which many thanks to the OP):

The Falkland Maritime Heritage Trust is now seeking to have the site formally protected in law. The wreck was not touched or in any way disturbed during the operation. The team on board Seabed Constructor conducted an act of remembrance at the site, commemorating all who died during the Battle.

The BBC is catching up...link...and here is a wiki link, SMS Scharnhorst, from which you can find the other articles mentioned by the OP.

The article states that the Falklands Maritime Heritage Trust is seeking legal protection for the wreck. Let's hope it doesn't go the way of the Repulse and Prince of Wales.

Blog Entries
    Even at a mile depth, I can't help but think that in a few year's time someone is going to go back and check on it and find that it's all gone.

Yes, I am a cynic but there's money to be made and Chinese companies willing to make it.

This may have low-background steel so no doubt those without ethics will be keen to target it.

I seem to remember that Christopher Hitchens' Father was involved in the sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I seem to remember that Christopher Hitchens' Father was involved in the sinking.
    Wrong Scharnhorst ?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    A local Marine archeologist from the Falklands has discovered the remains of German WWI Battleship Scharnhorst. (WWI, not the WWII version of the ship)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

Christopher often referred to Eric as simply the 'commander'. Eric was deployed on HMS Jamaica which took part in the sinking of the German battleship Scharnhorst in the Battle of the North Cape on 26 December 1943.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 5th December 2019 at 16:39.

^Ah, thanks.

That's so interesting.

I remember as a lad reading the story of the Battle of Coronel and subsequent Falklands revenge of the Royal Navy.

Stirring stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    What amazed me in the past (and now revived), are the names of the Royal Navy's vessels.

The Germans were not really creative when it comes to name-giving, were they? The Brits however, have a great history of ship names! Just look up old British ships and be amazed by their names! Let's start with The Golden Hind (just picking a moment in history). Some names sound like pure marketing! I'm sure that there's a ledger somewhere with a list of names of ships of the British Navy through the ages.

EDIT: It's on Wikipedia! Great!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th December 2019 at 18:38.

What amazed me in the past (and now revived), are the names of the Royal Navy's vessels.

The Germans were not really creative when it comes to name-giving, were they? The Brits however, have a great history of ship names! Just look up old British ships and be amazed by their names! Let's start with The Golden Hind (just picking a moment in history). Some names sound like pure marketing! I'm sure that there's a ledger somewhere with a list of names of ships of the British Navy through the ages.

Menno
    See also RN Flower-class corvettes...other classes are available.

Blog Entries

I rather like the way they name classes with themes. River class, City class, D Class, Forts, Tide, and so on.

Very interesting many thanks for the post OP

Master
    Lot of seabed work coming up off the Falklands in the next few years developing oil fields.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't that the actual reason behind the 'historic claim' for Argentina to invade the Falklands?

Wasn't that the actual reason behind the 'historic claim' for Argentina to invade the Falklands?
    Certainly helped.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Famous german painting from that battle. Vice Admiral Graf Spee died, along with his two sons.