closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Radium in old pocket watch

Radium in old pocket watch

Found these two in the house today. Is there any value to these? Given the radium in the one I’m considering just binning it. The Waltham however has lovely blues hands. I should have taken a better picture.

Thoughts very welcome.

Last edited by canuck; 4th December 2019 at 23:07.

That Waltham looks superb. Is the case 14K gold?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That Waltham looks superb. Is the case 14K gold?
    I have no idea... I guess I’d need to look for a hallmark ?

I think it might just be marked 14K or not even have one, I think that is the way it works in the US. Webwatchmaker (Brendan) knows a lot about old Waltham pocket watches, might be worth dropping him a PM. They were apparently as good or better than anything Swiss at that time.
    Last edited by alfat33; 4th December 2019 at 23:21.

Many thanks!

Craftsman
    The Waltham 23 jewel could be a railroad grade watch.
    I’m guessing the top crown winds the watch but you cannot pull it out to set time? If so, unscrew the glass retaining front case to look for a small lever , pull lever up then turn crown to set time.
    Also if you can remove the case rear to check for serial numbers then input this on “pocket watch database” . Should give an idea of quality/scarcity/value etc.
    Look forward to more pictures if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I’d have never noticed that lever on the front! Even when looking for it I barely noticed it.

I took a few more photos. Also appears to be 10k gold not 14.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I’d have never noticed that lever on the front! Even when looking for it I barely noticed it.

I took a few more photos. Also appears to be 10k gold not 14.
    Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a nice movement. 10K and not solid gold, filled is a kind of better alternative to plating.

Still very nice, better than your average £50 pocket watch (of which I have a few).

This link to the Waltham Pocket Watch serial number database tells you a bit more about your watch.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ltham/30750168

Breguet hairspring, railroad grade movement - pretty cool.
    Last edited by alfat33; 6th December 2019 at 16:10.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

Bregeut hairspring, railroad grade movement - pretty cool.
    Thanks for the advice! I haven’t timed it but it ticks over fine and everything seems to work as it should.
    Last edited by canuck; 5th December 2019 at 20:27.

Craftsman
    I`ve just checked the database linked above, values estimated as follows;-

working condition, low value/poor condition $173

average $325

high $493

retail $598-$793

All in all a very nice, quality pocket watch.

I would recommend a service to keep it running well, chap I used was Michael Swift, Isle of Bute but there are others on here as well.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    The Waltham is beautiful canuck. American watch companies competed for the lucrative railway contracts so performance and quality were exceptional.
    * I would be wary of relying too much on Cooksey and Shugart's valuations. Their book is great but they are buyers and collectors.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I’m no expert, but shouldn’t something with radium in be disposed in a certain way, rather than just being put in a bin? Of course, you may well just be using that as an expression...

I’ve truly appreciated all of the advice I’ve received in this thread.

The Waltham will stay in the house and should hopefully when occasion presents itself be sent for a service if I can find a local person.

The other watch will be kept in the box in which it was found. My understanding is that as long as the case it sealed it should be fine. So far it is. If the shop where the Waltham gets serviced wants it they can then have it and do as they please with it. I’ll assume being in the business they will know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    My understanding is that as long as the case it sealed it should be fine. So far it is.
    That is correct with one proviso. Keeping the case unopened will stop you coming into contact with any bits of lume that may have flaked off the dial and hands which is your main worry.

The proviso is this. Radium decays over time. As a result your watch will give off minute amounts of radon gas, which is also radioactive. There is a background level of radon in every home; in some parts of the UK it is higher than the amount given off by your watch, so don’t worry unduly. Nevertheless if you want to eliminate all of the risk, keep it somewhere well ventilated and don’t keep the watch in a box under your bed.