closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need advice regarding keeping feet warm.

Need advice regarding keeping feet warm.

Strange one this, but for the past few years I have noticed my extremities are getting very cold during colder weather. I have managed to keep my head and hands warm, but whatever I try I can't keep my toes warm. I have high tog socks etc but it's to no avail. It's really bad in my car, when waiting to drop my daughter off at school. The car takes a while to warm up. It's diesel and it's only about three miles to the school. Any suggestions on what to do, whether footwear, socks, shoes or something else, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I find Sketchers trainers, strangely enough, keep my feet warmer than leather shoes. They have that memory inside sole and it helps. Maybe some thermal socks?

Me too

Either move to a warm climate

Or buy from here

https://www.raynaudsdisease.com/rayn...-clothing.html

Search Amazon for 'Heated Socks.' I've never used them personally but do have a heated gilet (two actually!) and they work really well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am type 2 diabetic, so it's since diagnosed about 7 or 8 years ago it's slowly becoming more noticeable, especially the last 4 years. I have some nice socks but am thinking either the army cold weather socks or 4.8 tog socks. But will definitely try Reynaud's socks. I have had a looked at the heated socks but am not sure...

How about the toe warmers that cyclists use?

Master
    From the cycling perspective, the toe warmers I use are neoprene covers that go over the front of the shoe. You would wear them out if you walked in them with normal shoes though and they are really there to shut out the wind vs. warm your feet up. Some people use foil wrapped around their feet to help achieve the same thing.

But do you mean something more akin to pocket warmers, i.e. an actual heating element?

In the coldest weather I swear by Woolie Boolie socks.

Thanks for the reply. It's my toes, they seem to freeze. I have a wool insole and a aluminium one. I'm thinking I need something specifically for my toes?

Master
    Found this too. It mentions chemical warmers: https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeest...et-on-the-bike

I have a similar problem and the best solution for me is using Thermal Insoles, the ones with foil backing. Much better than thick socks alone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Search Amazon for 'Heated Socks.' I've never used them personally but do have a heated gilet (two actually!) and they work really well.
    Got to be a bit careful if you heat up extremities with poor circulation. Agree with those who suggest a visit to the doc (assuming OP has a sympathetic interested practitioner). Hopefully nothing untoward but better to get confirmation.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't seen the post about your diabetes. Definitely discuss with your doc.
    Last edited by David_D; 5th December 2019 at 01:41.

Decent boots and wool socks will help keep your feet warm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am type 2 diabetic, so it's since diagnosed about 7 or 8 years ago it's slowly becoming more noticeable, especially the last 4 years. I have some nice socks but am thinking either the army cold weather socks or 4.8 tog socks. But will definitely try Reynaud's socks. I have had a looked at the heated socks but am not sure...

How about the toe warmers that cyclists use?
    You aren’t alone it’s the Same for me,one year I soaked them in a bucket of hot water.
    I’ve bought wool slippers the lot,to no avail.

Grand Master
    i'm the other way round, my feet always get hot! usually stuck out from under the quilt at night.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    Might be a silly idea,but what about shearling lined shoes/boots? Not Ugg but something even more proper...

I have a pair of older Moncler boots with shearling liner that helped me on the coldest days

Craftsman
    How about after walking for a while, are your feet still cold then? Just thinking that might help as the blood will circulate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    When I walk around its less noticeable definitely, but they're frozen whilst driving to the point of being uncomfortable.

Will check with the doctor also.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also a type two,I found smart wool socks the best of the bunch,but not in all situations.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just go for heated insoles for the school run, you can get plug in's (my wife uses them on the long German runs on the motorbike), or go for the rechargeable ones you stick in the microwave.

cheers

mike

Master
    Make sure your torso is properly warm too. Your body will protect this at the expense of your extremities. I struggled as a cyclist in the cold with really cold fingers until I realised that my body was only just warm enough. When I sorted that, I had less problems with my fingers getting cold.

Pete

Master
    Approaching your problem from a different direction, would having a pre-heater fitted to your car be practical? Depending on it's make/model and parking arrangements, the timer can electrically heat the cars coolant before you start it so warm air to your feet immediately. They have the added bonus of less wear on the engine, quicker defrosting of the car and better fuel economy. I appreciate this may appear to be a sledge hammer to crack a nut but worth a thought?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Make sure your torso is properly warm too. Your body will protect this at the expense of your extremities. I struggled as a cyclist in the cold with really cold fingers until I realised that my body was only just warm enough. When I sorted that, I had less problems with my fingers getting cold.

Pete
    This is very true,it’s the reason a lot of injured soldiers survived in the Falklands as when you are cold the blood is redirected to the vital organs and not extremities.

I am also trying to drink a lot more water,often in winter people are not drinking enough.

My feet get both cold and painful from the diabetes,combined with cramp at night.

My doctor has told me to stop taking Quinine it used to work well but now they are worried about side effects.

Craftsman
    Oh no, side effects from quinine? When I have cramp, I drink tonic water as that contains quinine but that may no longer be a good idea from the sound of things?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Approaching your problem from a different direction, would having a pre-heater fitted to your car be practical? Depending on it's make/model and parking arrangements, the timer can electrically heat the cars coolant before you start it so warm air to your feet immediately. They have the added bonus of less wear on the engine, quicker defrosting of the car and better fuel economy. I appreciate this may appear to be a sledge hammer to crack a nut but worth a thought?
    Hi mate, that's a great option. I think if I can get my car heated quickly a lot of the problem will go. I have a 2012 Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid car. Any suggestions on a pre-heater?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Oh no, side effects from quinine? When I have cramp, I drink tonic water as that contains quinine but that may no longer be a good idea from the sound of things?

Warning
    Oral route (Capsule)

Quinine sulfate use for the treatment or prevention of nocturnal leg cramps may result in serious and life-threatening hematologic reactions, including thrombocytopenia and hemolytic uremic syndrome/thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (HUS/TTP). Chronic renal impairment associated with the development of TTP has been reported. The risk associated with quinine sulfate use in the absence of evidence of its effectiveness in the treatment or prevention of nocturnal leg cramps outweighs any potential benefit.

Try battery powered heated inner sole liners as used by motorcyclists and fisherman.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am just back from podiatry treatment,I asked about this.

he told me nerve damage can also tell you your feet are cold but they might be warm or vice versa.
    last year my feet where wet and i didn't realise until i got home and took my shoes off,I had lost a lot of feeling.
    He warned me to be careful with bowls of hot water it should only be warm.

my conclusion is there is no easy answer,but warm wool socks is at least a start.

Master
    To keep the feet 'Toastie' RAF '36 pattern flying boots.
    https://www.lewisleathers.com/produc...=BootFlyNo204A

Have one of these installed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesel-Park...a-815246903029

It's basically a truck cab heater - it takes a feed from the car's fuel tank, and is a mini deisel heater. It burns fuel and heats the air inside. No fumes ever enter the car - and remote control.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Google videos of truck night heater if interested.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    When spectating at rugby I wear a couple of pairs of socks in my boots, thin pair under the thermal ones, more layers for insulation? not so bad if I keep them moving, school run? get a tandem and work up a sweat?

Master
    No personal experience, but I have heard of Webasto;
    https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-u...arking-heater/

Strangely I get bad painful toes after running and my shoes are plenty big enough. I’ve put this down to circulation. They are sore for a month or so after a run. This has reminded me to mention it to my doc.

Master
    Go Keto and have cold water showers or baths. Your circulation will improve. Forget socks or gadgets .

As mentioned above by a few people; I have been cycling most of my life and extreme cold feet goes with the territory in that sport/hobby.

I swear by these socks;

https://www.prendas.co.uk/products/p...aebabce3&_ss=r