closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone on here do App development?

Master

Anyone on here do App development?

I have an idea for an App and just wondering how to go about creating/marketing it, or not

Master
    First thing to do is have anyone you are talking to about it is sign a NDA!

There are some really good companies out there and cloud has taken the costs and speed to develop down massively, the software isn’t really the issue these days - more getting the market proposition out there.

To be honest NDAs are pretty pointless for the tech world. There are always a way around them. Plus it can create an illusion for trust which isn't actually there.

For App ideas (or any other idea), you need to focus on the problem you are solving - speak to lots of relevant people (potential target user) and do your research to ensure there really is a need or if you're simply creating a solution to a problem that doesn't need solving. Do not focus on your idea/solution. Once you're fully convinced on that, then a discussion can be had on how to develop.

Master

Anyone on here do App development?

If you want to learn to develop yourself take a look at Udemy and some online courses for things like Xamarin, QT or react native. It’s a fun hobby if you like that kind of thing. Doing it this way may take years though.

If you are looking for someone to develop the app with you then be prepared to pay, a lot.

You’ll need
    Market research
    UI / UX designer
    Graphic Designer
    Software engineering
    Test
    Public Beta Test

And be prepared to iterate through the above multiple times with probably the shortest you could expect to get through the above being a month for something simple and iterating I would guess 3 or so times to get something release worthy.
    In reality you could probably double or triple that if it’s something more complex, involves a back end server or external hardware.

Then you are into the realms of multiple device testing do you have the 4 or 5 iDevices necessary to cover all your bases (as long as you don’t have a device specific issue), then there’s android where the marketplace is so fragmented across screen sizes and os versions meaningful pre release testing is almost impossible.
    The solution to this is to basically treat your customers like beta testers and iterate like hell so your rep doesn’t dip enough to blacklist your app.

As for marketing and making money off it. Yeah that’s beyond my purview but there is no magic formula for that. Either spend a ton to shill it on social media or pray it goes viral. Look into how many games rovio released before angry birds took off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Well if you are looking to hire a mobile app developer. There are various considerations you have to keep in mind. As you all know that applications are top and essential thing for smartphones and for users. On my experience a finding custom mobile app development company. I get luck work with mova.io
    Last edited by Derrils; 24th February 2020 at 23:38.

This is good advice. Do lots of research into whether your users need it and potential competitors. Have a good idea as to why your idea is better than alternatives. Test / validate your idea as simply and cheaply as possible, preferably without using any code!

Beyond that, you can start to look for app developers in places like www.clutch.co. As a very basic rule, western countries are the most expensive, followed by eastern europe, followed by far east.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    To be honest NDAs are pretty pointless for the tech world. There are always a way around them. Plus it can create an illusion for trust which isn't actually there.

For App ideas (or any other idea), you need to focus on the problem you are solving - speak to lots of relevant people (potential target user) and do your research to ensure there really is a need or if you're simply creating a solution to a problem that doesn't need solving. Do not focus on your idea/solution. Once you're fully convinced on that, then a discussion can be had on how to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I have an idea for an App and just wondering how to go about creating/marketing it, or not
    So OP, how did your research on the app idea go?

Master
    Have a look on PeoplePerHour, found some great resource on there

Journeyman
    Monzo primarily makes money through the selling of additional services on top of its core banking product. Examples of services they make money on will be the interest they receive on overdrafts or via insurance premiums they provide. Here’s a great article that talks about how to build app like Monzo kindgeek.com
    Last edited by Derrils; 6th June 2020 at 12:54.