closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new hobby.

Blog Entries

Cool A new hobby.

After a few weeks I don’t think the results are terrible. A long way to go to proficiency but I am fairly happy with this one? What do you make of it? Not so bad for 10 week fine art course. Only ever did a bit of drawing many years ago - never this medium.

Comments welcome of course! Martyn.

Need something to do in all this spare time!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd December 2019 at 22:16.

Nice. I struggle to draw the curtains.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Well I can see what it is!

Great start to new hobby.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    After a few weeks I don’t think the results are terrible. A long way to go to proficiency but I am fairly happy with this one? What do you make of it? Not so bad for 10 week fine art course. Only ever did a bit of drawing many years ago - never this medium.

I prefer it to some of the Picassos that I saw in the Picasso museum in Antibes. Seriously. Apart from anything else...no runs!

Have you thought about teaming up with Bremont for a series where watch meets art? Asking for a friend.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Where are the big green rat’s eyes?

Looks better than the avocado 🥑 I opened today!

Joking aside, very good indeed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Nice. I struggle to draw the curtains.

:smile:

and second masterpiece!!

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd December 2019 at 22:16.

I can see the green eggs, but where's the ham?

Just kidding - really quite good! You've definitely got the texture and shade of the avocado skin right.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Don’t worry, you will improve with time.

Seriously though, that’s really impressive. I couldn’t turn out anything half as good as that if my life depended on it.

Master
    Great work. I'm viewing on a tiny phone screen and initially thought it was a tongue in cheek thread about cutting avocado's in half! I like the 3d effect from the shading of both the stone, and hole on the other half.

I'm also in need of some kind of dark evenings hobby. Think I'm gonna have a crack at leather work.

Kudos on the Rubik's cube - I like that.

Master

and second masterpiece!!

I like this one! Well done mate:)

Great work!

Are they acrylic?

I've been painting and drawing since childhood and it's never lost its fascination. If I don't produce anything for a few months due to pressure of work etc then I start to feel tetchy.

I graduated to more abstract work about 20 years ago. Prior to that I had been selling small pieces locally via a wall I rented in an antiques centre. I made about £50 a month profit so not enough to give up the day job! I stopped doing this as it was starting to turn into something a 'production line' and not as much fun.

Have you tried pastel, charcoal and other mediums? Well worth experimenting.

What I have found is that it's best to totally ignore what other people think of your work. If you like it then that's all that matters. Regardless of your level of technical skill, if you have put your heart into it then this will shine through and connect with others.

It's a beautiful, meditative, calming and sometimes cathartic thing to do.

Good luck with your next ones!

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

and second masterpiece!!

This is really nice!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Are these for sale? Quite like that Rubik's one myself. A Martyn original...

great work , as someone else said the shading and texture of the avocado skin is perfect imo.
    i paint myself as a hobby and use all mediums from watercolours to airbrush and oils (you can get water soluble oil paint now - for those that dont want the mess and smell of traditional oils ) , like the mediums ive tried most thing from portraiture to abstract (i had a phase of doing acrylic flow abstracts ) as well as making a cenobyte head from a shop dummy ( this was sold at a fair, last time i saw it - it was sitting on the guitar amp of a local band while they were playing , i couldnt keep it on the side in the house the bloody thing was looking at me all the time ).

have fun trying different methods and mediums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Great work!

Are they acrylic?

I've been painting and drawing since childhood and it's never lost its fascination. If I don't produce anything for a few months due to pressure of work etc then I start to feel tetchy.

I graduated to more abstract work about 20 years ago. Prior to that I had been selling small pieces locally via a wall I rented in an antiques centre. I made about £50 a month profit so not enough to give up the day job! I stopped doing this as it was starting to turn into something a 'production line' and not as much fun.

Have you tried pastel, charcoal and other mediums? Well worth experimenting.

What I have found is that it's best to totally ignore what other people think of your work. If you like it then that's all that matters. Regardless of your level of technical skill, if you have put your heart into it then this will shine through and connect with others.

It's a beautiful, meditative, calming and sometimes cathartic thing to do.

Good luck with your next ones!

Thanks! Yes it is acrylic. I’m doing an intro course covering most media except oils. Pencil, charcoal, water colour pencil, water colour, acrylic. It is amazing how 4 hours can disappear it is an interesting pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Are these for sale? Quite like that Rubik's one myself. A Martyn original...
    We have an end of term exhibition after which who knows. Not thought of selling - but might be - negotiable!

I really like the 'cube' Very impressive indeed. The avocados appear to be floating in water.

It must be great to be able to see and articulate something through the media of paint. Sadly, I've never been able to do it; heck I even struggle to draw a straight line with a ruler
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I love painting but I’m truly terrible, certainly the best I can try and do is replicate a picture that I’ve seen somewhere else. So I’d be very proud of what you’ve painted if you’ve just started, and like others have said your avocado skin texture is really pretty good ! I joined my kids painting dinosaurs a few weeks ago and came up with this, although the shape was shamelessly copied from an ink drawing I found online. Great fun and I’ll maybe try to be more creative next time ! And please keep posting as you paint more...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I love painting but I’m truly terrible, certainly the best I can try and do is replicate a picture that I’ve seen somewhere else. So I’d be very proud of what you’ve painted if you’ve just started, and like others have said your avocado skin texture is really pretty good ! I joined my kids painting dinosaurs a few weeks ago and came up with this, although the shape was shamelessly copied from an ink drawing I found online. Great fun and I’ll maybe try to be more creative next time ! And please keep posting as you paint more...

looks good to me ! Well done. I have to admit my paintings are based on pictures (photos) when done in the art class. But the abstract melted Rubik’s cube was not a straight copy. The avocado I tried to make life like - not photo realism.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th December 2019 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    ………...(you can get water soluble oil paint now - for those that dont want the mess and smell of traditional oils )
    Ive just started using these, very pleasing results

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive just started using these, very pleasing results
    ive been using the winter and newton ones along with the water mixable linseed oil from my local 'the range ' - they are not that expensive and have a good pigment load , no smell at all and you can mix them with water for washes .

https://www.therange.co.uk/

Master
    Its nice , don't be afraid to get some more opposing colour in there. Yellow Ochre has a tendancy to make the colours next to it more vibrant , nothing is really monochromatic in the real world

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Its nice , don't be afraid to get some more opposing colour in there. Yellow Ochre has a tendancy to make the colours next to it more vibrant , nothing is really monochromatic in the real world
    Another - some contrasting colours :

Take a look at the Wetcanvas forum - virtually all medias and styles covered in sub forums and a large international membership. You can post pictures of your work up for comments.

I joined recently and I really like it.

No BP or willy waving there either!

Master
    Amazing first two paintings! I imagine the Rubik’s cube painting especially to be quite saleable, not that I know much about these things!

Craftsman

Both great pieces of work!

If this is ever available or you paint another put me down on the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk