closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Price check please - OP39 White

Craftsman

Price check please - OP39 White

Friend of mine offered me £4k for my OP39 White, bought 2019 and unworn. Wasn't thinking of selling it (as didn't fancy losing £350) but I'm now tempted by a Black Friday deal on a nice TV.

Saw a few on Chrono24 around £4k but are all Russia etc. The cheapest one in UK is £4,735... Is my friend's offer any good? Not sure what availability is like now for these but I haven't seen much of them.

I think its very good as you would struggle to get much above £3700-3800 on sales corner.

The last one on SC had a trade value of £3600 although it was a few months ago.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 29th November 2019 at 16:25.

What bloody TV are you buying that you'd need to sell a £4k watch to fund?!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What bloody TV are you buying that you'd need to sell a £4k watch to fund?!
    https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision....d-oled-tv.aspx

I don't have much choice in what I choose to sell to fund - I own 3 watches and intend to keep the other 2.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think its very good as you would struggle to get much above £3700-3800 on sales corner.

The last one on SC had a trade value of £3600 although it was a few months ago.
    Thanks. I've tried searching SC but didn't manage to find those threads. Sounds like I'm getting my new TV

£4000 is fair, it's what I paid for the black version from here. Whilst there's not a premium above RRP on these models, the black and white 39mm versions rarely make it to the shop window. When I enquired about buying a new one, none were available in national chain ADs so it was either go an a waiting list or buy here at £4k.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision....d-oled-tv.aspx

I don't have much choice in what I choose to sell to fund - I own 3 watches and intend to keep the other 2.
    In a few years the TV will be worth nothing where the Rolex will still be 3k +.

Craftsman
    In a few years the TV will be worth nothing where the Rolex will still be 3k +.
    I want to say 'but unlike the TV, I can't stare at the watch all day can I?'. But maybe I can...

Grand Master
    Sounds like a fair deal to me, some chancers are trying to ask over list for OP models but I`m not sure they're selling at a premium, I certainly wouldn't pay it, but they are scarce at the moment. I was in Goldsmiths at Meadowhall on Wednesday and I was surprised how little stock was on display. A nice steel Datejust 36mm , but I can`t recall any other gents steel watches......it's crazy.

I wouldn't like to be selling a watch to buy a TV, I`m not a big TV fan and I`m happy with a modest one. Hi-Fi's far more important to me.

I`d be tempted to do whatever man-maths are necessary to hang on to the watch, but if you're certain it has to go I`d take your mate's offer, it's an easy deal and a decent price. If supply improves over the next few months the prices will soften, but the opposite could happen if Rolex increase prices next year,either scenario is feasible.

The OP models are closest to the traditional Rolex look in my opinion, with the brushed bracelet and lug tops. Understated and classy, no Cyclops date thing to spoil the symmetry of the dial and no polished centre links or lug tops, a classic case of 'less is more'. I`d think twice before letting one go.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 29th November 2019 at 19:08.

I want to say 'but unlike the TV, I can't stare at the watch all day can I?'. But maybe I can...
    Get down to Costco. You'll get a great TV for a grand. We just bought a 55 inch Sony from there for my Nan which was either £700 or £750.

If pushed I would just buy a TV on 0% and keep the watch.l but it's brand new and unworn so maybe the watch isn't for you?

Whatever the price of the TV you choose in the end add £350 to cover the loss of the watch for the true price.

Craftsman
    Get down to Costco. You'll get a great TV for a grand. We just bought a 55 inch Sony from there for my Nan which was either £700 or £750.

If pushed I would just buy a TV on 0% and keep the watch.l but it's brand new and unworn so maybe the watch isn't for you?

Whatever the price of the TV you choose in the end add £350 to cover the loss of the watch for the true price.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sounds like a fair deal to me, some chancers are trying to ask over list for OP models but I`m not sure they're selling at a premium, I certainly wouldn't pay it, but they are scarce at the moment. I was in Goldsmiths at Meadowhall on Wednesday and I was surprised how little stock was on display. A nice steel Datejust 36mm , but I can`t recall any other gents steel watches......it's crazy.

I wouldn't like to be selling a watch to buy a TV, I`m not a big TV fan and I`m happy with a modest one. Hi-Fi's far more important to me.

I`d be tempted to do whatever man-maths are necessary to hang on to the watch, but if you're certain it has to go I`d take your mate's offer, it's an easy deal and a decent price. If supply improves over the next few months the prices will soften, but the opposite could happen if Rolex increase prices next year,either scenario is feasible.

The OP models are closest to the traditional Rolex look in my opinion, with the brushed bracelet and lug tos. Understated and classy, no Cyclops date thing to spoil the symmetry of the dial and no polished centre links or lug tops, a classic case of 'less is more'. I`d think twice before letting one go.
    Reconsidering now... I know how nice the OP39 white is - Hodinkee wrote a nice article about it and I think Watchfinder also did a video couple of days ago on it?

Reconsidering now... I know how nice the OP39 white is - Hodinkee wrote a nice article about it and I think Watchfinder also did a video couple of days ago on it?
    That's kind of irrelevant. Whether you like it enough to keep it shouldn't have anything to do with what some industry-types think. Know your own mind!

Take the £4K. Very fair offer and it will be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If its unworn and stickers I'd look to get all your money back personally. These rarely hit the shop window these days and demand is high.

If we're being honest however, I'd keep it and stick the tv on a credit card :P

Watchfinder

A nice video from Watchfinder, and they've no stock of these watches so I think they'll be desperate for a few this week.

https://youtu.be/AmYO_KxOgTA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    That's kind of irrelevant. Whether you like it enough to keep it shouldn't have anything to do with what some industry-types think. Know your own mind!
    Agreed! I am still a fan of Hodinkee, although they push there luck a bit nowadays. But Hodinkee definitely shouldn’t be telling you whether or not you like your watch enough to keep or sell!! Blimey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of mine offered me £4k for my OP39 White, bought 2019 and unworn. Wasn't thinking of selling it (as didn't fancy losing £350) but I'm now tempted by a Black Friday deal on a nice TV.

Saw a few on Chrono24 around £4k but are all Russia etc. The cheapest one in UK is £4,735... Is my friend's offer any good? Not sure what availability is like now for these but I haven't seen much of them.
    Keep your Rolex, stick the TV on a 0% credit card or get 12 months 0% with Currys or Argos card.

Master
    Just a personal preference, but I just feel that 39mm moves it from the traditional Rolex size of 36mm and a bit less.........although 39mm seems to be popular

but £4k for unworn etc., if you like the watch seems a good price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    If its unworn and stickers I'd look to get all your money back personally. These rarely hit the shop window these days and demand is high.

If we're being honest however, I'd keep it and stick the tv on a credit card :P
    Yeah I know that, which is why I thought the offer was low. The general response from the thread is that £4K is a good offer though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Keep your Rolex, stick the TV on a 0% credit card or get 12 months 0% with Currys or Argos card.
    I’ve stuck too many things on my credit card already. Also just moved into my new flat 2 weeks ago so have been spending!

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Just a personal preference, but I just feel that 39mm moves it from the traditional Rolex size of 36mm and a bit less.........although 39mm seems to be popular

but £4k for unworn etc., if you like the watch seems a good price
    I’m considering selling mine, not buying one.

Craftsman
    Yeah I know that, which is why I thought the offer was low. The general response from the thread is that £4K is a good offer though...
    If I hadn't bought 2 watches already this month I'd have given you 4150 for it all day long, been after one for a while!

Master
    Might be worth a call to Watchfinder, they gave me £3700 for a 2016 full B&P Rhodium dial model last month.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    If I hadn't bought 2 watches already this month I'd have given you 4150 for it all day long, been after one for a while!
    Yeah, that would’ve been roughly what I wanted to put in on SC for... which is why thought £4K was low esp for a BNIB copy.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    Might be worth a call to Watchfinder, they gave me £3700 for a 2016 full B&P Rhodium dial model last month.
    Yeah WF have a 2018 one up for £5,250. They might offer me close to/above £4K I think...

Yeah WF have a 2018 one up for £5,250. They might offer me close to/above £4K I think...
    It will be more like £3200-3400.

Craftsman
    See comment below.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post

Master
    Yep. Maybe £3.5 if it’s a minter.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    If I was in your position I'd just sell it to them. By all means enquire with WF but i'd expect a silly quote back from them.

Unless there are very specific features that you can only get with the Sony, I’d personally save a grand and get the LG 65 C9?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    If I was in your position I'd just sell it to them. By all means enquire with WF but i'd expect a silly quote back from them.
    They’ve not provided me with a quote for 1 week now. Expecting them to lowball but curious on whether prices will be as silly as few others have guessed in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Unless there are very specific features that you can only get with the Sony, I’d personally save a grand and get the LG 65 C9?
    Thanks. Have been reading reviews/comparisons over the weekend.

Craftsman
    WF just came back with a range of £3.8k - £4k.

Journeyman
    I think £4K seems right price. If it’s not the watch for you, then better getting rid of it and use the money for something you do want / need. The watch (just like pretty much all watches) isn’t an investment so unless you love it there’s no point having that sort of money tied up in it when there’s other real world things the cash can be used for.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Capcarrot View Post
    I think £4K seems right price. If it’s not the watch for you, then better getting rid of it and use the money for something you do want / need. The watch (just like pretty much all watches) isn’t an investment so unless you love it there’s no point having that sort of money tied up in it when there’s other real world things the cash can be used for.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I’ve made the mistake of not using interest-free cards or taking up interest free loans on my Tudors when I could’ve. Now I’m getting stung in the butt for not having enough cash flow...

On a more positive note, in addition to the TV, part of my cash flow problems were also caused by being offered a BLNR!

Edit: I’ve been PMed by a forumer telling me that it sounds as if I’m trying to sell watches via Watch Talk (by mentioning my BLNR) so let me just make it clear here - if I do intend to sell the OP39 White here, I will do so in SC. And I do NOT intend to sell my BLNR - merely just saying £7k is a big hit to my credit card (it might not be to others).

The heat that people get from mentioning Rolex sports models is real...
    Last edited by cheesycake7; 2nd December 2019 at 19:47.

WF just came back with a range of £3.8k - £4k.
    Tell your mate to pay list or you'll give it to WF. If they'll pay 4k then it's worth more...

Craftsman
    Tell your mate to pay list or you'll give it to WF. If they'll pay 4k then it's worth more...
    Thanks mate - that’s exactly my thoughts.

Grand Master
    Sounds like you need to sell it, so a firm offer of £4K sounds fair to me. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.........bite your mate’s hand off before he changes his mind! Watchfinder will try to chip the price down towards the lower figure, they want it as cheap as possible.

Frankly, I wouldn’t listen to the ‘it’s worth more’ brigade......they’re not trying to sell a watch, you are!

Journeyman
    There's one way to tell what a watch is worth. What it has sold for. I can find 4 that have sold £3,600, £3,775, £3,995 and £4,150. One on here the other 3 on eBay.

If it was worth much more than the £4k your mate has offered you would have had offers from here.

Master
    Honestly, what is the point of this thread? You’re clearly not happy with the offer so go either attempt to squeeze some more money out your mate or try to find someone who will pay list for it.

Apprentice
    or surely if he's his mate, rather than extorting him with the threat of using a extortionate grey market dealer, accept his fair offer of 4k?

where i'm from you normally help mates out a bit anyway.

Just my POV though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    There's one way to tell what a watch is worth. What it has sold for. I can find 4 that have sold £3,600, £3,775, £3,995 and £4,150. One on here the other 3 on eBay.

If it was worth much more than the £4k your mate has offered you would have had offers from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sounds like you need to sell it, so a firm offer of £4K sounds fair to me. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.........bite your mate’s hand off before he changes his mind! Watchfinder will try to chip the price down towards the lower figure, they want it as cheap as possible.

Frankly, I wouldn’t listen to the ‘it’s worth more’ brigade......they’re not trying to sell a watch, you are!
    Points noted. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Honestly, what is the point of this thread? You’re clearly not happy with the offer so go either attempt to squeeze some more money out your mate or try to find someone who will pay list for it.
    Tbh I just wasn’t sure if the offer I’ve got is good. Even on this thread we’ve had people saying £3,400 all the way up to £4,150. Now I’ve got a fairly good idea, so case closed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjm29 View Post
    or surely if he's his mate, rather than extorting him with the threat of using a extortionate grey market dealer, accept his fair offer of 4k?

Just my POV though.
    I think selling it to him above £4K and less than retail would still be helping him out, albeit helping slightly less.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjm29 View Post

Just my POV though.
    Where I'm from you don't stiff your mate for £350 on a brand new incredibly hard to find Rolex sports model with the stickers still on it.

Meet half way and get it done. It isn't about doing someone over it's about not doing anyone over. It's called being equitable.

No one is being extorted and to use such a charged word is quote frankly silly. People here need to realise they aren't watchfinder or in the trade (yes, a handful are) and aren't entitled to the trade price.

If watchfinder are buying for 5 and selling for 10 then being offered the chance to buy for 6 is still a great deal. Even 7 is not bad. WF are extortionate on the sell price, never the buy price. Just because they sell for silly money doesn't mean they buy in for silly money too.

Journeyman
    Or there's no mate....

Craftsman
    Where I'm from you don't stiff your mate for £350 on a brand new incredibly hard to find Rolex sports model with the stickers still on it.

Meet half way and get it done. It isn't about doing someone over it's about not doing anyone over. It's called being equitable.

No one is being extorted and to use such a charged word is quote frankly silly. People here need to realise they aren't watchfinder or in the trade (yes, a handful are) and aren't entitled to the trade price.

If watchfinder are buying for 5 and selling for 10 then being offered the chance to buy for 6 is still a great deal. Even 7 is not bad. WF are extortionate on the sell price, never the buy price. Just because they sell for silly money doesn't mean they buy in for silly money too.
    Yes. I think if WF are offering £4K and putting it up for £5.2k then even if I offered it to him for say £4.1/4.2 I’d still be doing him a favour. But the pricing abuse with Rolex sports have seemed to move on to other models too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Or there's no mate....
    Happy to prove otherwise. Or, if WF can add a bit more the watch will go to them and I’ll post the proof. That way you can be certain the watch doesn’t land on any of the forumers hands. (Well unless they subsequently purchase from WF)

Your be able to put it on SC soon!

Apprentice
    Your be able to put it on SC soon!
    Can't he already put it on SC?

I'd say keep it anyway - lovely watch haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk