closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use Bulb or Octopus

I'm another who has just moved from Bulb for two reasons:

1. The hike in prices means they're no longer as competitive as they were.
    2. They wanted to increase my monthly payment to an amount that I found unacceptable as it would have meant overpaying and Bulb holding around £20 a month over and above the maximum I have ever used in a month.

Having called Bulb to object to the increase in monthly direct debit they wouldn't listen so I told them I'd be leaving and hung up. I have now left and registered with Look After My Bills. Given that I have a Smart meter fitted what I simply don't understand is why I can't be billed for the actual electricity I use rather than paying a fixed amount each month. Whenever my account was in debit with Bulb by around £20 or more I made a one-off payment to bring the balance to zero.

When we recently moved my 84 year old father and started to look into his bills we discovered he was in credit to his electricity and gas supplier to the tune of £1,600 (now recovered). He was also paying £74/month for his broadband and phone (Virgin Media). As I have Power of Attorney and with his agreement I have taken control of his finances to protect him but do everything with his agreement................that by the following day he has no recollection of.

I have adopted the Martin Lewis approach to companies (actually his comments were specifically aimed at banks) and treat all companies as thieving gits who are trying to fleece you for whatever they can; it's served me well in recent years.
    Last edited by Skier; 22nd September 2020 at 09:22.

Thanks to those members for the bulb links.

I will have another look before signing up as I wasn’t aware of the pending rate rises.

If i do sign up ill use the first link sent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve had to move every year to get the best deal - although I’ve got in the habit of going for fixed one year deals, for what that’s worth.

Just gone from Eon to Utility Point. Was with Bulb a few years ago and then Pure Planet. No service issues but there’s too much money at stake to remain loyal. It’s now just like insurance - you have to go through all the comparison site palaver every year.

Journeyman
    I moved from Scottish Power to Bulb in Jan 2020 and my bills have been significantly higher ever since. And they emailed me this week to say prices are going up again. I would not recommend Bulb from personal experience

Blog Entries
    Currently Avro always go for a fixed tariff without exit fees and always look around remember they are not doing you any favours your the one paying.
    Recently was asked to read my meters again and send a photo my answer you want a second read send a meter reader my gas meter is a ground level and if you think with Winter coming this OAP is crawling about on his hands and knees go do one.
    Totally agree with post #51 these Companies are not there for your health and wealth.
    Last edited by mart broad; 22nd September 2020 at 07:40.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Been with Octopus for about 10 months - my dad referred me- they have been fine - although I only pay £30 a month gas and electric( I live alone )

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Been with Octopus for about 10 months - my dad referred me- they have been fine - although I only pay £30 a month gas and electric( I live alone )
    I've just moved to them from SSE. my monthly bill has halved but only had a couple of months so far so just have to wait and see what happens through the cold quarter

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Still with Octopus - no problems.....

We use Bulb, excellent customer service, the one occasion I have needed help it was a straightforward email exchange with a friendly person in real time and it was sorted.

I have been with Bulb a few years, and on the few occasions that it has been necessary to get help they have always been good. My electricity bills in my electric only property are usually £18 - £25 in the few summer months we have, and about £75 in the winter months. All the same, an 11% rise is a steep jump. I noticed recently, that although a customer should be able to change their own DD payment through the Bulb website, it wouldn't let me move mine below £65 per month whilst I was in the summer months. I was happy to pay just over the maximum amount in summer months, and just over the maximum amount for winter months. I get the idea that they want to build up a pot of cash in the summer. The £50 recommendation fee was certainly a bonus, but nothing is for nothing. I shall look on the comparison sites.

I can no longer recommend Bulb.

I've literally just made the move from Bulb to Octopus as a result of their impending price increase.

My Bulb charges with the new rise are:

Our electricity rate will increase from 15.055p to 16.737p per kWh. And we’re increasing our electricity standing charge from 22.500p to 22.838p per day. These numbers all include VAT.

Can anyone tell me what they are paying Octopus per kWh and standing charge per day, and what tariff you are on please? Also have you had a price increase or decrease recently? Octopus' web site does not make the answer to this straightforward.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    My Bulb charges with the new rise are:

Our electricity rate will increase from 15.055p to 16.737p per kWh. And we’re increasing our electricity standing charge from 22.500p to 22.838p per day. These numbers all include VAT.

Can anyone tell me what they are paying Octopus per kWh and standing charge per day, and what tariff you are on please? Also have you had a price increase or decrease recently? Octopus' web site does not make the answer to this straightforward.

Thank you.
    https://octopus.energy/tariffs/

Simply putting in your postcode shows all the current tariffs

I'm currently on Flexible Octopus...

Electricity 17.08p/kWh day 9.32p/kWh night 20.15 standing

Gas 3.31p/kWh and 16.80p/day standing

Apparently, of all the tariffs available I can choose flexible (cheapest) or

Octopus 12M fixed

current
    Eco 7 Electricity
    Day unit rate:
    17.65 p/kWh
    Night unit rate:
    11.43 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    21.43 p/day
    Electricty
    Unit rate:
    15.99 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    21.43 p/day
    Gas
    Unit rate:
    2.70 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    17.85 p/day

or Super Green
    Eco 7 Electricity
    Day unit rate:
    17.65 p/kWh
    Night unit rate:
    11.43 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    21.43 p/day
    Electricty
    Unit rate:
    15.99 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    21.43 p/day
    Gas
    Unit rate:
    2.95 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    17.85 p/day
    Last edited by Gyp; 22nd September 2020 at 19:48.

I've been with Octopus in the past, it was fine, I paid money and my heating and lights worked. That's about as far as my relationship with energy companies goes. IMO they're all much the same, in that there are good deals around for new customers which rise after the end of the first year (or end of your fixed-price period), so you shop around for the next good deal. The process is pretty seamless these days.

Martin Lewis has just released his own ‘automatic’ switching service, the details read very well.

https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/...693.1600726970

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Hi folks - just got an email from Bulb stating they’re upping their prices again from mid-April by another ~10%. Might move to Octopus does anyone have a referral? Will whack it into the fundraiser if anyone can PM me one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hi folks - just got an email from Bulb stating they’re upping their prices again from mid-April by another ~10%. Might move to Octopus does anyone have a referral? Will whack it into the fundraiser if anyone can PM me one. Thanks.
    share.octopus.energy/ebony-shade-757

I've chucked so my referral money in the fundraiser

Hello

Looking to find a supplier for my Dad.

Looking above it seems Octopus is well regarded. Does anyone have a referral code by any chance?

Best,

Ben

Hello

Sorry, I've been an idiot. Can see one above!

Neon reef was an easy switch from ScottishPower.

What I’m paying:

All Units 12.247515p/kWh
    Standing Charge 13.5135p/Day

£25 Referal code: Reef3574!

To get it fill in the referral form found at:
    https://www.neonreef.co.uk/referral_scheme/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks guys for all the PMs and Gyp above - when I get my arse into gear and swap I’ll pick one at random. Cheers

Octopus were still more expensive for me on economy7, think i’ll Stick with them for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Octopus were still more expensive for me on economy7, think i’ll Stick with them for now.
    The key thing I like about Octopus is that, whilst they might not be cheapest in year one, they don't take the Michael in year two and beyond.

I'm happy to pay a sensible price on an ongoing basis than have to keep switching every year.

Craftsman
    Got to agree with Octopus energy.
    I have been with them since they took over my account from irresa and.to be fair although not the cheapest a straight forward easy to deal with company. It's all a fine balance really (cost v ease of use, etc) I will stick with Octopus for the sake a a few £ a year.

This is why I like Bulb’s policy of reducing prices when their buy in cost has reduced.