Blog Entries

Seiko Credor Eichi II

Anyone experienced the RG version?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Anyone experienced the RG version?
    Yup and Platinum too. IMHO Platinum is the purest form. Tried it on at Seiko Boutique along with a few members here. It is stunningly stunningly stunning. Screams quality and refinement. The dial really comes to life in the metal - the porcelain gives off an organic light hue that is hard to describe. One day.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    What he said,awesome watch. The fact the dial markers and name are hand painted is awesome

Movement finish is about the best there is too

Apprentice
    Can someone give me some more info on Credor - I realise they are a branch of Seiko? But what is so special about them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjm29 View Post
    Can someone give me some more info on Credor - I realise they are a branch of Seiko? But what is so special about them?

Thanks
    https://watchesbysjx.com/2015/07/fac...-eichi-ii.html

Apprentice
    Much obliged!

Stunning watches! Love the porcelain dial

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Wow. I hadn't heard of these, but just read the link and they are both stunning watches. I think I prefer the i over the ii and the platinum to the rose gold pictured here. Porcelain dials certainly do work as you get a 3D effect from anything painted on top of it.

Must ask the wife if she was planning on spending £40k+ on my Xmas pressie 😂

[useless link deleted]
    Last edited by Der Amf; 2nd December 2019 at 22:51.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    And some forum-level photography of it: https://www.intlwatchleague.com/show...picture-heavy)

(I like that he px-ed a Royal Oak, a Patek, a VC and a Snowflake for it.....)
    Now that is a bold move! I'm not sure I could give all of that variety up. It is beautiful and unique though

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

And some forum-level photography of it: https://www.intlwatchleague.com/show...picture-heavy)

(I like that he px-ed a Royal Oak, a Patek, a VC and a Snowflake for it.....)
    Requires a log in just to view....

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Requires a log in just to view....
    Oops.

There are a few macro shots if you go a page or two in.

I handled the platinum one in the London Seiko Boutique a few years ago. Incredible. I have always held out hope they would I'd a steel version, but I doubt it would be a tenth of the price!

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I tried one on at an event last year. Beautiful. I'll never own one but it's my 'euromillions watch' if I ever win!

It is a real stealth wealth watch. Most people looking at it wouldn't realise what it was, me included until a few days ago. Would have to be a safer Watch to wear than a bolder statement that shouts look what I'm wearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is a real stealth wealth watch. Most people looking at it wouldn't realise what it was, me included until a few days ago. Would have to be a safer Watch to wear than a bolder statement that shouts look what I'm wearing...
    After reading about the guy who had his AP stolen at 4am after a night out in Birmingham I'm sure this wouldn't have happened with a Credor for both the reasons that no one would know what it was and a Credor owner wouldn't be rolling out of a Birmingham nightclub at 4am

What is stealth wealth? Wearing a £40,000 watch that looks like a £150 watch??
    It looks nice and all but is a little underwhelming. There are quite a few Grand Seikos I would pick over this. I am sure it is well made.

Aside from preoccupations with wealth or stealth, something that reveals its quality slowly and subtly is good if you wish to spend years being impressed by it, and not so good if you want others to be instantaneously impressed.

Aside from preoccupations with wealth or stealth, something that reveals its quality slowly and subtly is good if you wish to spend years being impressed by it, and not so good if you want others to be instantaneously impressed.
    Sure.
    If one wanted non ostentatious quality, IMO there are a lot of better watches for 40,000.
    This enamel dial thingy wouldn’t hold my interest for more than five min, let alone years.
    Anyway if OP is happy, that is all that matters. I am assuming he bought it.

I know we are supposed to swoon over stuff like this, but that looks super-boring. At that price point I'd be looking at FPJ, Moser, Voutilainen, et al.

A very good read.
    I had heard of marque but never read much about them.
    Initially, I thought who would pay that much money........
    But the article has made me reconsider that thought. And the fact that the watchmakers went to see how Philippe Dufour made assembled his magnificent timepieces, speaks volumes.
    For me Mr Dufour is the pinnacle of what watch making is all about. It would be end game for me, if I was ever, (which will be never) to own one of his beautiful pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I know we are supposed to swoon over stuff like this, but that looks super-boring. At that price point I'd be looking at FPJ, Moser, Voutilainen, et al.
    This was my view but I really am going to have to up my education on these a touch
    Still couldn’t walk past Tony’s Lange that he posted here a few weeks back.
    I think Glashutte also do(or did) some Meissen porcelain dials, but may be wrong..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjm29 View Post

Thanks
    Grand seiko X1000

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    A very good read.
    I had heard of marque but never read much about them.
    Initially, I thought who would pay that much money........
    But the article has made me reconsider that thought. And the fact that the watchmakers went to see how Philippe Dufour made assembled his magnificent timepieces, speaks volumes.
    For me Mr Dufour is the pinnacle of what watch making is all about. It would be end game for me, if I was ever, (which will be never) to own one of his beautiful pieces!
    Any Seiko that makes its way out of the Seiko Micro Artist Studio is punching above its weight horologically speaking.

For all those saying this is a bit boring, I wonder what your take is on a Dufour, if it didn’t have his name on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Any Seiko that makes its way out of the Seiko Micro Artist Studio is punching above its weight horologically speaking.

For all those saying this is a bit boring, I wonder what your take is on a Dufour, if it didn’t have his name on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For a watch to punch above its weight ( in this case 40,000) it would have to be far more than this Credor.
    As for Dufour, this one has ten times the character of that Credor

^^^compared to that Dufour's, I agree. However I have seen some Dufour's and been underwhelmed. I personally think the excellent finished movement and dial is worth the 40k price tag. There is a certain flair to the watch. The next step up in the micro artist realm is this bad boy below. Link to more here - https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/gra...sary-9r02.html

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For a watch to punch above its weight ( in this case 40,000) it would have to be far more than this Credor.
    As for Dufour, this one has ten times the character of that Credor

Zero chance this is nicer than that Credor but I won't shame you for you assertion as one needs to see the Credor in the metal. Then you'll see. You'll see big time

Master
    I guess that’s what you call a Forty Grand Seiko. To be honest I prefer the back, as lovely as porcelain dials are.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    ^^^compared to that Dufour's, I agree. However I have seen some Dufour's and been underwhelmed. I personally think the excellent finished movement and dial is worth the 40k price tag. There is a certain flair to the watch. The next step up in the micro artist realm is this bad boy below. Link to more here - https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/gra...sary-9r02.html

I love that. The texture reminds me of one of those arts and crafts hammered copper dishes, all done by hand.

Just seen the price in the article $73k - a little above my budget...
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd December 2019 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Zero chance this is nicer than that Credor but I won't shame you for you assertion as one needs to see the Credor in the metal. Then you'll see. You'll see big time

There are better looking Credors for sure than the plain Jane in this thread- which is just a piece of enamel with rather lovely blue hands stuck on it. The back is nice but not 40,000k nice. Doubt seeing it in person would blow me away.
    There is some kind of reverse snobbery at play in this thread.
    Anyway, it’s a personal choice.
    If we all liked the same things and all that.

Some people like frilly lines in the centre of some dull numerals, some people like unblemished simplicity; some people like production line watches with interesting provenance, some people like handmade objects; some people think that there's a direct correlation between cost and quality, some people understand that different things are priced on different tariffs.

Personally, I would prefer the Credor if it said Seiko on the dial, but I understand that not everyone is as smitten with that word and that logo as me.

I love that. The texture reminds me of one of those arts and crafts hammered copper dishes, all done by hand.

Just seen the price in the article $73k - a little above my budget...
    It feels like they took the learning from the Eichi II and made a more of a complete watch. I think it probably justifies the additional cost increase and certainly has more character than the Eichi II (which I concede Raj does have a point).

Some people like frilly lines in the centre of some dull numerals, some people like unblemished simplicity; some people like production line watches with interesting provenance, some people like handmade objects; some people think that there's a direct correlation between cost and quality, some people understand that different things are priced on different tariffs.me.
    And some labor under the impression that orgasmic delight at mention of Credor is somehow a sign of good taste and ability to appreciate finer things.
    FWIW, I prefer your enamel watch visually to this. I know they are totally different objects but your old enamel watch has loads more personality.

Craftsman
    The Credor looks lovely to me but that money buys a lot of choice. If I were shopping in that broad price range I would go for this (at 55k) if I could source one....

To me this just crystallises my problem with Seiko. They sell watches costing a few £100's, which are ok, then they sell a few watches that cost a few £1ks (called a Grand Seiko), which are a bit better than OK, and then they sell a few more watches that cost a £10ks (called a Seiko Credor), which are a bit better again. What makes it worse is the mix of Quartz movements Vs their mechanical ones. All very confusing.

Personally I would not shell out £2k on any "new" Seiko irrespective of how good it was or the attention of detail which had gone into making it, simply because at the day it's still just a Seiko.

As for spending £40k on a watch without a complication, crazy. Personally I would go Patek or Lang (or both).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    The Credor looks lovely to me but that money buys a lot of choice. If I were shopping in that broad price range I would go for this (at 55k) if I could source one....

(To go off topic for a bit) This is a great watch in the metal (a friend is lucky enough to own one) and has bags of personality. The finishing is also excellent.

BUT I feel it doesn't encompass what Akrivia is really about. The AK-06 is IMO a better representation of the brains behind the brand:

from - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/akrivia-ak-06-watch/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Personally I would not shell out £2k on any "new" Seiko irrespective of how good it was or the attention of detail which had gone into making it, simply because at the day it's still just a Seiko.
    Once you’ve placed a brand in a particular category, for some reason it’s easier to reject evidence to the contrary than to re-wire your brain to accept it, and change the way you see the brand. That’s why they removed the standard Seiko logo from the dial of Grand Seikos in the end. Preconceptions can be hard to budge. I sympathise, as it’s taken me a long time to appreciate the brand and rethink what the logo means, but their historical models finally convinced me that there was much more to Seiko than what I saw as a child. I’ll admit though, that I do find it easier now that GS have a different logo, and it might be easier to appreciate Credor if there were no connection at all, just its own independent mythology without the baggage. The story is to some extent part of the product, which is good for GS, as they have a good story as well as making objectively high quality watches.

As for not spending >£2k just because they also make cheaper watches though, I’m glad I’m not missing out in that way. At some point you have to look at the actual product and change your own preconceptions to fit the reality, not the other way round.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Once you’ve placed a brand in a particular category, for some reason it’s easier to reject evidence to the contrary than to re-wire your brain to accept it, and change the way you see the brand. That’s why they removed the standard Seiko logo from the dial of Grand Seikos in the end. Preconceptions can be hard to budge. I sympathise, as it’s taken me a long time to appreciate the brand and rethink what the logo means, but their historical models finally convinced me that there was much more to Seiko than what I saw as a child. I’ll admit though, that I do find it easier now that GS have a different logo, and it might be easier to appreciate Credor if there were no connection at all, just its own independent mythology without the baggage. The story is to some extent part of the product, which is good for GS, as they have a good story as well as making objectively high quality watches.

As for not spending >£2k just because they also make cheaper watches though, I’m glad I’m not missing out in that way. At some point you have to look at the actual product and change your own preconceptions to fit the reality, not the other way round.
    Well put.
    To give this context, I am looking to procure my endgame piece. A full set 16520 white dial Zenith and a blue dial WG 126719 will both go to fund the purchase, so c. £55-60k plus change. I have no interest whatsoever in ALS - they leave me cold (sterile Germanic style); PP - been there, done that; complications - I have no need of a date let alone anything else more involved. The Credor (platinum or RG tbd) or perhaps a SBGZ003 appeal (sadly the 001 is sold out). Residuals are not an issue. This is an emotional purchase.

Well put.
    To give this context, I am looking to procure my endgame piece. A full set 16520 white dial Zenith and a blue dial WG 126719 will both go to fund the purchase, so c. £55-60k plus change. I have no interest whatsoever in ALS - they leave me cold (sterile Germanic style); PP - been there, done that; complications - I have no need of a date let alone anything else more involved. The Credor (platinum or RG tbd) or perhaps a SBGZ003 appeal (sadly the 001 is sold out). Residuals are not an issue. This is an emotional purchase.
    A risky move, IMO. Hope you don’t regret it.
    Good luck,anyways.

Well put.
    If you do this PM me if the Credor is the choice as I may be able to intro you to someone who can 'optimise' the price a bit and swing availability

I agree. The styling isn't to my taste and I wonder how many people would be salivating all over it if it said Rotary on the dial? I think the Credor branding on the dial is awful and jars in the same way as C Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    What is stealth wealth? Wearing a £40,000 watch that looks like a £150 watch??
    It looks nice and all but is a little underwhelming. There are quite a few Grand Seikos I would pick over this. I am sure it is well made.

For everyone complaining about the price of this (beautifully-executed) wristwatch, it's important to keep in mind at all times that luxury goods are all subject to the same rule: on a graph comparing price vs quality, quality and performance increase on a shallow, linear slope, while cost increases logarithmically or exponentially. T'were ever thus.

Worth also bearing in mind that this product is not aimed at most of us, it's aimed at the kind of wealth base that finds £40,000 a trivial sum, spent in a moment with little consideration.

I do love the painstaking execution, but am amused that even at this level of spend, safe, conformist design is de-rigueur.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Just for clarity there are not many watches I would spend more than a couple of grand on to be honest. Seiko is just one of them. Plus I spend my money on things I like and Seiko simply leaves me cold - I do however still own a 1975 6105, but never wear it because I have better (IMHO) watches available to me.

Credor, might be made from unavailablon, machined by devout Budist monks living on the top of Mount Fiji, it might have a ceramic Dial, fired in a kin burning only the rarest bamboo and panda fur, it even might be lubricated with the tears of a Moby Dick, but at the end of day I still don't like it. It's boring.

You on the other hand are welcome to think otherwise

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just for clarity there are not many watches I would spend more than a couple of grand on to be honest. Seiko is just one of them. Plus I spend my money on things I like and Seiko simply leaves me cold - I do however still own a 1975 6105, but never wear it because I have better (IMHO) watches available to me.

Credor, might be made from unavailablon, machined by devout Budist monks living on the top of Mount Fiji, it might have a ceramic Dial, fired in a kin burning only the rarest bamboo and panda fur, it even might be lubricated with the tears of a Moby Dick, but at the end of day I still don't like it. It's boring.

Sounds like you are not the best judge of my taste then. Fair enough.

Master
    To be honest it's the GS that make me think otherwise! I like the back of the Credor but it wouldn't be my personal unit of currency to represent £40k, though it would at least be an unusual and discrete choice. Personally, the GS (or at least some of them) make me happy to spend a fair amount on a watch made by Seiko and question what, 'just a Seiko' actually means in practice, instead of questioning the quality of the watch based on the brand name. It's a similar situation with Ford cars - if you had only seen the Mondeo, you could assume the GT40 is 'just a Ford', or you could revise your idea of the brand to include the unexpected information that they also make cars that won at Le Mans.

That is a lovely watch. But I am surprised at the choice when considering your G wagon. I would have assumed that a new purchase would be similarly sporty/rugged like an AP etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the car or the watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    That is a lovely watch. But I am surprised at the choice when considering your G wagon. I would have assumed that a new purchase would be similarly sporty/rugged like an AP etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the car or the watch.
    Strange question. I have the G. Which is great. My watch does not need to resemble that. Almost the opposite.

Strange question. I have the G. Which is great. My watch does not need to resemble that. Almost the opposite.
    Quite - I see no relation?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Yes it is strange I guess. I think I have seen TRF post on watch and car matching too many times.