closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: One for 2020

Journeyman

This one. Dimensions are correct (shorter lugs to avoid strap gap), and please provide with 50,000A/m antimagnetism or more. For me that is really important in a watch like this. 100m WR too, because that's really easy to achieve nowadays, and all your other watches have this. Sapphire too.

Aesthetically, it would also be nice for the bar markers to be raised applied chrome markers. Adds some class to it.

I also wouldn't mind 2 size options: 36mm and 38mm. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post

This one. Dimensions are correct (shorter lugs to avoid strap gap), and please provide with 50,000A/m antimagnetism or more. For me that is really important in a watch like this. 100m WR too, because that's really easy to achieve nowadays, and all your other watches have this. Sapphire too.

Aesthetically, it would also be nice for the bar markers to be raised applied chrome markers. Adds some class to it.

Welcome to the forum, as for case sizes, remember that ''Timefactors'' isn't a huge multi national company, what the gaffer delivers is nothing short of astounding considering it's a 'one man band'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum, as for case sizes, remember that ''Timefactors'' isn't a huge multi national company, what the gaffer delivers is nothing short of astounding considering it's a 'one man band'.
    Yes, I'm not expecting anything, just thought I'd ask to show that there's interest in a traditional "modern" size. I always wanted a Mark XII which was 36mm, so there's nothing wrong with 36mm.

Key to me are the technical merits of this watch. 50k A/m antimag, 100m WR, manual wind and Sapphire and we have a winner IMO.

Journeyman
    Is this watch definitely coming out in 2020, or is this a "maybe"? If it's a definite, then I want to start saving. But if it's a maybe then I'll continue my search for something that meets the criteria (or get the PRS-29). Thanks.

Is this watch definitely coming out in 2020, or is this a "maybe"? If it's a definite, then I want to start saving. But if it's a maybe then I'll continue my search for something that meets the criteria (or get the PRS-29). Thanks.
    My understanding is that the prototype is imminent. So 2020 seems good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Eddie stated a couple of days ago that the prototypes will be mailed out by today for arrival next week, of course the store will be open tomorrow so next week Eddie will be busy shipping orders and won't have time to take and post pictures so it may be a week or two but it will be worth it I think. I know he already ordered the movements from Sellita but with Covid-19 shut downs things will be a little behind but with that said I still think late 2020 would still seem likely.

I know that this is a much anticipated model and I have been on board since the first post from Eddie in this thread.
    Last edited by kneadking; 16th May 2020 at 14:58.

Craftsman
    Yes, I'm not expecting anything, just thought I'd ask to show that there's interest in a traditional "modern" size. I always wanted a Mark XII which was 36mm, so there's nothing wrong with 36mm.

Key to me are the technical merits of this watch. 50k A/m antimag, 100m WR, manual wind and Sapphire and we have a winner IMO.
    Eddie answered this in post number 250 of this thread, it will be 20,000 A/m.

I'm still not entirely convinced by the arched Smiths logo, although don't have a strong opinion. It looks to me that Smiths designed it specifically to frame De Luxe and it's missing. My preference for this watch is still the straight Smiths or the full crown/arched Smiths/De Luxe of the 1960s military GS. Perhaps the full whack is being saved for a future GS homage which I think would be popular (maybe not the fat arrow of the original though).

On the latest rendering imagine a line between the start of the triangle at 12 and centre circle. It looks like the arched Smiths and arrow are vertically distributed, the Smiths is centered in the top half of the space and arrow in the bottom half.

I think that the IWC Mk11, Hamilton 6B and Smiths W10 are all pretty perfect designs. In all three, the company logo and symbol are not vertically distributed, they are grouped and then top aligned in the cases of the IWC and Hamilton and centred in the case of the Smiths. Therefore I'm imagining that the Smiths and arrow closer together would look better.

100m WR and sapphire are practical features but I am less than enthused by the suggestion of applied indices.

Why would you add shiny applied indices to a tool watch of which one of the primary functions is legibility? I don't see that as adding class, I see it akin to adding a diamond necklace to a firefighter's uniform. It serves no useful purpose IMO and detracts from the functionality of the watch.

I do think a 38mm or 39mm version of the watch would be a nice option to 36mm which is rather small.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post

Why would you add shiny applied indices to a tool watch of which one of the primary functions is legibility?

I don't see that as adding class, I see it akin to adding a diamond necklace to a firefighter's uniform.

Military watches are not supposed to have applied indices... in case the minute-hand tip "drops"... then it can still slide round the dial without snagging.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Military watches are not supposed to have applied indices... in case the minute-hand tip "drops"... then it can still slide round the dial without snagging.
    Without wanting to be a pedant (yeah I know I am being one) that’s not the reason for military watches not having applied indices.
    It’s down to cost, printing straight on the dial is cheaper, it’s also visually clearer and more robust.
    Applied indices are superfluous for the requirements and intended use of the watch.

I do agree that his watch should not have applied indices though. It’s totally out of keeping with the idea, purpose and inspiration of this watch.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th May 2020 at 12:48.

There is no way this watch will have applied indices ... hand wringing may now end.

Apprentice
    Sat eagerly awaiting to see pics....I know Eddie is super busy right now but one shot of the sample would just make my day....this is if he even has it yet!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I received the prototypes yesterday and I have to say that a cursory inspection says "nice job". I won't get the pictures done until next Tuesday or Wednesday though, I'm packing through the weekend.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I received the prototypes yesterday and I have to say that a cursory inspection says "nice job". I won't get the pictures done until next Tuesday or Wednesday though, I'm packing through the weekend.

Eddie
    That's excellent news, any initial things that you're not sure on or that need changing before the watch goes into production?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    That's excellent news, any initial things that you're not sure on or that need changing before the watch goes into production?

Only one thing so far, I expected the crown to be signed and it isn't but that's an easy fix.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly off tangent but are there future plans to update the Smiths logo on the 'Everest',,

To this Smiths logo?

Last edited by number2; 21st May 2020 at 23:52.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Slightly off tangent but are there future plans to update the Smiths logo on the 'Everest',,

To this Smiths logo?
    The logo will change on the next batch, all the 36mm Everest variants will have the same log on the next batch.

Eddie

The logo will change on the next batch, all the 36mm Everest variants will have the same log on the next batch.

Eddie
    As I'm delighted with the ''Expedition'' I'd better start saving.

For all those who say there's no place on a military watch for the boobies logo.

Eddie

Eddie
    Excellent news!!

Craftsman
    I like the direction that this thread has just taken........

Craftsman

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie for the update. So excited to see the photo's next week. Keep up the great work and take care.

Master
    For all those who say there's no place on a military watch for the boobies logo.

Eddie
    I love those crowns on the two left hands ones. Is that part of your collection Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I love those crowns on the two left hands ones. Is that part of your collection Eddie?
    Sadly not :-(

Eddie

Eddie
    Might this be next on the list Eddie?
    Please?
    Pretty please?
    That one bottom left, finer print, larger crown - perfect
    Dave

Eddie
    Would there be any possibility you might entertain the notion of a 'gilt' Everest variant, please Eddie...there have been some interesting renders of what an Everest with gold hands and tastefully done aged lume might look like, over on the other Smiths Everest thread, and several members have indicated they'd be enthusiastic buyers...
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd May 2020 at 09:34.

Blog Entries

Eddie

Steady on Eddie, it's a luxury problem after all ;)

Take care.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

The Smiths GS looks great, well the thin-arrow version. And, the arched Smiths with truncated letters frames De Luxe which I like.

Smiths crown logo is fine, the 'boobies' logo isn't. Okay, I'm being po-faced.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The Smiths GS looks great, well the thin-arrow version. And, the arched Smiths with truncated letters frames De Luxe which I like.

Smiths crown logo is fine, the 'boobies' logo isn't. Okay, I'm being po-faced.
    Just imagine that it's an unimpressed duck staring at you down its bill
    Last edited by Der Amf; 22nd May 2020 at 15:39. Reason: Speling

One for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just imagine that it's an umimpressed duck staring at you down its bill
    Sold!

In the case of the boobies it looks like her knicker elastic is hitched high above her stomach - really attractive.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 22nd May 2020 at 18:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Might this be next on the list Eddie?
    Please?
    Pretty please?
    That one bottom left, finer print, larger crown - perfect
    Dave
    That's a chunky case isn't it, I like it.

Only one thing so far, I expected the crown to be signed and it isn't but that's an easy fix.

Eddie
    I think the sterile crown is superb and preferable to a signed crown.

Craftsman

I fully agree, and its a large crown which is super especially for a hand wind only.

No to applied chrome markers. No to two size options. Keep it pure.

Agree. No signed crown.

One for 2020

I think we a’re over here now...?
    (New thread)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ator-prototype
    Last edited by redhed18; 25th May 2020 at 01:20.

I'll be going with the hooked 7, a lot of the unhooked 7 dials are IWC service replacement dials (unless it's the rare white 12 dial).

Eddie
    Hey Eddie, are you still going ahead with the Hooked 7 on these?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastadon View Post

Checkout the Navigator Prototype thread. It looks as though he went with the unhooked 7 on the prototype but if he were going to go with the hooked 7 he could easily change that unless the dials have already went to the printers. Hooked or unhooked, doesn't really matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastadon View Post

Eddie

Eddie
    Amazing!

Eddie

Hubba Hubba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie
    Looking good....!

Apprentice
    The dial looks great, and so sure the movement great skills sir :)

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Sorry auto correct on my last comment dial looks great and so does the movement.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Eddie

Lovely thing Eddie, you can see by the shape of the balance spokes it's a high grade version.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Lovely thing Eddie, you can see by the shape of the balance spokes it's a high grade version.
    That's the reason I went with the top version. Even though you won't see the movement the Glucydur balance and Nivarox hairspring give greater resistance to magnetism and the movement is capable of giving more accurate performance. I've asked for every single mnovement to be regulated on assembly of the watches.

Eddie

Craftsman
    That's the reason I went with the top version. Even though you won't see the movement the Glucydur balance and Nivarox hairspring give greater resistance to magnetism and the movement is capable of giving more accurate performance. I've asked for every single mnovement to be regulated on assembly of the watches.

Eddie
    This is wonderful news that the movements have arrived and I must say that they are sooooooooooo wonderful looking. Any ideas yet as to when they will be assembled and ready for sale and the price of the Navigator. Thanks Eddie!!