closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: One for 2020

It's a bit soon to share survey results when hardly any time has passed. In any case, boobies for me.

Hooray for boobies.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BritWatchFan View Post
    It does look 40s although the watch is 1950s isnt it?

I agree its a discussion forum so when some posters jump on the new guy for sticking his head above the parapet its a bit rich. Eddie made the right choice with his 1st dial choice in my opinion. No harm in stating a preference before the final watch is ordered and paid for.

Design is design its an iterative process. Forwards and backwards there is no cut off. Or the Prs29 wouldnt have had so many detail changes in its history.
    It was first issued in 1948 and knowing how slow the military acquisition process is, it would have been designed and specified several years earlier. I intentionally didn't go with the straight plain lettering because that's how the original is and I wanted to avoid comments that I was even copying the lettering.

Interestingly, the first ones didn't have the blunt hour hand, this was introduced following requests from RAF pilots who reported difficulty in differentiating between the hour and minute hand.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I agree. 1940s design.
    I also look to history for the justification for boobies->
    The first smiths mil watches beig the 1940s mkX design was sterile. NO branding at all.
    then in the 1950s the deluxe with coronet. Then i the late 60s the straight script came in with the w10.

Rolex and omega and (some) lemanias had logos o their dials by that point. Would a mine clearance diver become distracted by lookig at the logo ontheir seamaster or sub wilst working at depth? Of coarse not.

Boobies forever.

(Apologies for typos btw my keyboard is nacked)

Just my 2 shillings worth....

It may be too late but I believe the boobies request was a bum steer for this particular watch.
    One man's bum steer is another's home run.

Martin

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonofmorton View Post
    It's a bit soon to share survey results when hardly any time has passed. In any case, boobies for me.

Hooray for boobies.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Plain Smiths logo was good enough for Norton... just saying ;)

Craftsman
    I like both designs very much. My thinking was that the plain one liner sans boobies leaves the field open, or clearer, for the possibility of the GS De Luxe at a later date as otherwise they could have quite similar dials. Should it ever be seriously considered, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    .... Then i the late 60s the straight script came in with the w10.

I just love this way of branding the (IWC) Mark X. I understand it is called a replacement Nato dial.
    Last edited by abraxas; 13th May 2020 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by alx.lago View Post
    I agree with BritWatchFan and would also vote for the no-frills Smiths logo on the black dial version. I think the boobies logo indeed looks the best on the cream dials - just compare PRS-29A vs PRS-29AM or the black vs white Everest.
    I agree, plain Smiths on the black, boobies on the white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a couple of plain typefaces for the straight script but couldn't find one which looked "right", I think the straight Smiths used on the Everest is too bold for this one. The W10 typeface might work but I don't know which it is.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    Would the font used for the latest Prs29 work? It looks great on that watch I agree the one on the Everest would be too bold on this dial and steal space. If you are growing Smiths as a brand having two fonts moving forward for dials would help strengthen the brand. The crown topped Smiths and the PRS29 plain Smiths.
    Last edited by BritWatchFan; 13th May 2020 at 17:54. Reason: More thought on font

I love minimalism. The less clutter the better. The 29a ‘Smiths’ would work I think. I’d be interested to see a semi sterile dial - text in the same vein as the ‘Everest’ on the errr Everest. But I guess you are kinda then getting into the realms of the speedBird?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Hmmm...🤔 I just think that 'Boobies' version stands out as being different.

I agree also that if its too sterile it will look too much like the Speedbird and/or something that is just anonymous.

Eddies current proposal (Boobies) adds character IMHO.

One for 2020

I’m not sure the association with boobies will be good for the long term image of the brand or this watch. Not in the market for one, but would sure put me off if I was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 14th May 2020 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    Hmmm...ï¤â€ I just think that 'Boobies' version stands out as being different.

I agree also that if its too sterile it will look too much like the Speedbird and/or something that is just anonymous.

Eddies current proposal (Boobies) adds character IMHO.
    Given the 'who got to the top of Everest first debate' I think that the 'booby crown logo' sort of 'cocks a snook' at these boys -

To me this looks good
    But this looks perfect
    Last edited by number2; 14th May 2020 at 09:20.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    So the survey has gathered 26 responses and has slowed in the last 12 hours only adding one more response. It might need bumped or we can draw the conclusion that most interested parties have participated already.

What do you think ? Will we keep it going longer or do you want to close it and hear results? I dont think I can make the results published unless I close it, but I can obviously tell you what the current standings are if you want.

The crown topped logo is great. Very distinctive and suits lots of watches, that isn't my argument. On the everest it would be killer but for a military issue watch I think its superflous and makes this particular dial layout more compressed. There is already a lot going on in a small dial, a circled L (must have) a broad arrow (must have) a Smiths logo (must have) and an ornate crown above that is pushing the space a bit visually (superflous). It is just pulling against the military aesthetic, nothing wrong with boobies but they arent needed on an already classic dial layout.

I dont want another Speedbird reissue, sterile is fine but having a branded Smiths dial is actually more balanced and pleasing imo for this watch. Im always looking to the IWC Mk11 as the yardstick because its the watch everyone would buy in a heart beat if they were affordable. A well engineered and specced Smiths Mk11 homage is going to sell like hotcakes whatever the fine detail of the dial design is. But according to the survey results most people who will buy this watch would prefer the plain Smiths logo, I am willing to bet that most reviewer such as tool watch enthusiasts on Wornandwound would comment on this too.

I think its reasonable to extrapolate the survey data and say that this thread represents Eddies typical market, its a military watch and its market appeal is knowledgable military watch enthusiasts and Timefactors repeat customers. Personally Id be happy to wait a bit longer and get a better watch than than to get a still great watch but one that I would look at the dial and think I wish it had the logical choice of logo for the style of watch it is.

I am greatful to be able to air my opinion here, I know its last minute in the design process and that Eddies decision is final, he has made great choises and his watches sell well and are sought after.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Given the 'who got to the top of Everest first debate' I think that the 'booby crown logo' sort of 'cocks a snook' at these boys -

To me this looks good
    But this looks perfect

On an everest it would be perfect or on the white dial variant of the new watch.
    On the black dial, so far, people seem to prefer the no crown plain Smiths logo.

Craftsman
    Personally I would leave it up to Eddie, and besides the old saying that you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time really rings true when it comes to how a watch is designed. I think this watch is going to be a very popular watch, especially with collectors of field/military watches and I know that I will be happy with whatever design Eddie offers. He can always make small tweaks down the road as he has done with the Everest, and need I say how popular that watch has become.

Apprentice

Why are CWC watches with the plain and simple logo more sought after?

Its not just for this watch, most British miltary watches that were made post Rolex suit sober logos, this was an era of efficiency and sterility and one that watch enthusiasts prefer look at CWC as an example.
    Why does a 80s Fatboy demand so much more than an 82 Fatboy? Both were issued and rare and could feasibly have seen combat but the plain one just looks way better on this military dial.

Last edited by BritWatchFan; 14th May 2020 at 11:29.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Personally I would leave it up to Eddie, and besides the old saying that you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time really rings true when it comes to how a watch is designed. I think this watch is going to be a very popular watch, especially with collectors of field/military watches and I know that I will be happy with whatever design Eddie offers. He can always make small tweaks down the road as he has done with the Everest, and need I say how popular that watch has become.
    Of course its Eddies choice, didnt a forum member shout boobies 1st though? I guessed that most people who are eagerly anticipating this watch would leave the boobies at home and so far the survey backs me up.

73% prefer plain logo on black dial

80% prefer crown logo on white dial

You cant satisfy all the people all the time. You satisfy the majority, especially when the original choice mademade by Eddie looked better!
    Maybe its too late but maybe its not.

Last edited by BritWatchFan; 14th May 2020 at 11:40.

Apprentice
    The watch will look a stunner whatever logo is used, of course, but for me, I think a very good choice would have been the "boobies without boobies", as seen on the SMITHS 'Black Shadow' PRS-38. Besides, this leaves extra room for the broadarrow.

There's always this.

Eddie

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There's always this.

Eddie
    Looks really good and well balanced to me.

Apprentice
    Its not just for this watch, most British miltary watches that were made post Rolex suit sober logos, this was an era of efficiency and sterility and one that watch enthusiasts prefer look at CWC as an example.
    Why does a 80s Fatboy demand so much more than an 82 Fatboy? Both were issued and rare and could feasibly have seen combat but the plain one just looks way better on this military dial.

Man, I was thinking about the same yesterday when comparing the CWC Mellor-72 and T20. Besides the movement, it's the same watch but the logo on the Mellor looks so much better with a simple sans-serif font.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

To me this looks good
    But this looks perfect
    Ahhhhh - thanks for that.

I've been trying to work out why it was called Boobies - as I thought it must have been something to do with the curvaceous 'S' s - but of course its the Crown,

Yeah - lets stick 2 fingers (or even nipples) up at Rolex 🙂

There's always this.

Eddie
    Works for me.

There's always this.

[IMG]ttp://www.tz-uk.com/pics/mkxicurved.jpg[/IMG]

Eddie
    Love it!

There's always this.

Eddie
    See option 4 in post #125 (link)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I like it a lot better Eddie it give the dial more space, but my ultimate preference is the logo as used on PRS29 Black dial or something straight
    Last edited by BritWatchFan; 14th May 2020 at 16:33.

Apprentice
    I like it a lot better Eddie, but ultimate preference is the Logo as used on PRS29 Black dial.
    Or with this sort of Font

Apprentice
    And if I was really lucky ( I know this is a matter of taste and Timefactors dont tend to do this! )
    A vintage lume version with a broader arrow and circle ended seconds hand.

Last edited by BritWatchFan; 14th May 2020 at 16:46.

Prefer 5, shift /|\ up to close gap with SMITHS

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Me too

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Hmm, I tend to agree. This way the pheon looks more integrated into the overall dial design as if it were a part of Smiths logo.

There's always this....Eddie

That's the one.
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Eddie- please take my money...
    That one totally works for me.

There's always this.

Eddie

One for 2020

Best one yet I think. I very much like that it isn’t directly like the iwc given the variation in the font size. And if anything it kinda ‘dresses it up’ a bit. Perhaps then the white one keeps smiths in one font size and drop the logo all together.
    Last edited by canuck; 14th May 2020 at 21:00.

Very Nice Indeed!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's the one.
    Agreed Bob.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Hi, longtime lurker and Everest and fixie-29 owner, signed up to report my excitement about this one. I don't need any more watches, but I'll find that stumpy hour-hand irresistible. It's a more refined design than the later W10 - I like it with the old logo, but agree better without the coronet. Just another opinion however! Looking forward to seeing photos.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroccoco View Post
    Hi, longtime lurker and Everest and fixie-29 owner, signed up to report my excitement about this one. I don't need any more watches, but I'll find that stumpy hour-hand irresistible. It's a more refined design than the later W10 - I like it with the old logo, but agree better without the coronet. Just another opinion however! Looking forward to seeing photos.
    Welcome to the forum, although in appears you are no stranger to Smith's and TimeFactors. Good point about not needing another watch, but as watch enthusiast nothing is black and white. This is a special watch as can be attested to in all the feedback on this thread.

Apprentice
    So folks, it looks like we are down to these 2 options. In my opinion, the right one looks the most coherent and balanced. What do you think?

https://prnt.sc/shc8op
    Last edited by alx.lago; 15th May 2020 at 13:34. Reason: Image link fixed

So folks, it looks like we are down to these 2 options. In my opinion, the right one looks the most coherent and balanced. What do you think?

On the right it looks like the arrow is part of the logo, rather than an entirely separate piece of useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    On the right it looks like the arrow is part of the logo, rather than an entirely separate piece of useful information.
    Agreed

+1

I am with the one on the left.

Yes, logo needs room to breathe.

Apprentice

The one on the left for me

I think we need to account for the position of the hands in making this consideration.
    The stock photo at 10:10 makes a very tight V in which the logo and arrow sit...

If I bodge an attempt to get the hands out of the way (sorry "2"), this is what I get:

With this view, I prefer the one of the left...
    the one on the right looks like Der Amf posted above (that the arrow is part of the Smiths logo/branding)
    but neither one is a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by redhed18; 15th May 2020 at 16:26.

The "arrow" and the "circled L" could swap positions.