closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: One for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    Im guessing that seeing as Eddie’s bought a pukka mk11 in order to get the case right, then the case will be pretty much externally identical to a mk11.
    It is regarded as an all time icon of understated watch design, and people dont tend to spend 5 grand plus on a watch if they think that the lugs are too long, or close together.
    If you need shorter lugs or a 20mm strap then TF already make that very watch, in the shape of the excellent Speedbird. Deffo inspired by a mk11, but with shorter lugs and a 20mm strap width already as standard.

As long as the case is spot on, i dont really mind whats on the dial logo wise. The case of a Mark 11 is a thing of beauty on the wrist, changing little details would turn it into a completely different watch.
    This. My understanding is that it will be as close to a Mk XI as possible (barring drilled lugs and sapphire). Not your cup of tea? Look elsewhere.

I’m interested to know why this is to be manual wind. Is it due to it being a reflection/homage of past models? The TF Speedbirds never have been, have they?
    I just cannot remember to hand wind. Is an automatic variety perhaps a possibility, or is this not viable due to cost? Maybe it’s just me, but this would probably stop me buying, and this issue alone. I’d be sorry, because it’s going to be lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I’m interested to know why this is to be manual wind. Is it due to it being a reflection/homage of past models? The TF Speedbirds never have been, have they?
    I just cannot remember to hand wind. Is an automatic variety perhaps a possibility, or is this not viable due to cost? Maybe it’s just me, but this would probably stop me buying, and this issue alone. I’d be sorry, because it’s going to be lovely.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is intended to be hand wound to keep it as thin as the original. Hand wound movements are generally thinner, often by quite a bit. Awkwardly fat homages are not ideal.

I wouldn't want all watches to be hand-wound by any means, but I'm totally in favour of it in this case. Thickness aside, certain automatics, especially the Miyota 9015 (found in the PRS-25), are noisy and cause the watch to wobble on the wrist. That was why I sold my Everest: I could handle the noise, but found I couldn't live with the wobble. A shame, because I loved everything else about it.

I used to try to keep my autos in rotation on a winder so they were always ready to go. Now I don't bother. Aside from putting more stress on the movement, in practice most of my autos don't maintain enough accuracy to be able to grab off a winder without setting anyway. In which case grabbing a hand-wound, winding and setting it, is just as quick.

What really matters with a hand wound is a good winding experience. Usually that just requires a crown that's big enough to be able to wind quickly without getting sore fingers. If I'm wearing one of my hand wounds for a long consecutive period then I actually enjoy winding it. It's part of the experience of owning a mechanical watch that you lose slightly with autos. Wind it last thing at night when you take it off and first thing in the morning before putting it back on. Then if you miss one it won't matter. It's not that hard to remember. It's just as easy with an auto to accidentally leave it off the wrist for too long and find it stopped when you put it back on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is intended to be hand wound to keep it as thin as the original. Hand wound movements are generally thinner, often by quite a bit. Awkwardly fat homages are not ideal.

I wouldn't want all watches to be hand-wound by any means, but I'm totally in favour of it in this case. Thickness aside, certain automatics, especially the Miyota 9015 (found in the PRS-25), are noisy and cause the watch to wobble on the wrist. That was why I sold my Everest: I could handle the noise, but found I couldn't live with the wobble. A shame, because I loved everything else about it.

I used to try to keep my autos in rotation on a winder so they were always ready to go. Now I don't bother. Aside from putting more stress on the movement, in practice most of my autos don't maintain enough accuracy to be able to grab off a winder without setting anyway. In which case grabbing a hand-wound, winding and setting it, is just as quick.

What really matters with a hand wound is a good winding experience. Usually that just requires a crown that's big enough to be able to wind quickly without getting sore fingers. If I'm wearing one of my hand wounds for a long consecutive period then I actually enjoy winding it. It's part of the experience of owning a mechanical watch that you lose slightly with autos. Wind it last thing at night when you take it off and first thing in the morning before putting it back on. Then if you miss one it won't matter. It's not that hard to remember. It's just as easy with an auto to accidentally leave it off the wrist for too long and find it stopped when you put it back on.
    I love my Everest. Have had it on for over a month and just can't get enough of it. It is a slow burn if you know what I mean. As far as noise from the rotor, mine is pretty good and really rarely notice it unless I actually hold it to my ear and flip my wrist. I love hand wound and I agree that it is a ritual that I look forward to twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

Cost doesn't come into it, the manual movement is around the same price as the auto.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    It should be manual, just goes with the watch, and I like it.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Cost doesn't come into it, the manual movement is around the same price as the auto.

Eddie
    How about both options then?!

I don’t think an automatic would fit in the case? Even if it would it wouldn’t be “right”. That’s why the PRS-29’s are manual wind.

Tbh quartz would make sense than automatic. . .!

Master
    Presumably Eddie would then need to have two cases sizes which would definitely increase the cost.

A camel is a horse designed by committee. The original Mk 11 is as perfect as a watch can be. Homage it faithfully and you won't go far wrong. Sapphire crystal - ok - from seeing the PRS 25 it was well implemented, but changing case diameter, lug widths, date windows, fake aged lume or adding auto movements will lead to a loss of what makes the original work so well. Keep the vision pure.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post

Keep the vision pure.
    I agree.

I haven't posted here in years but this project is pulling me back in. I was a very enthusiastic fan of the SBIII (still am) but was never able to pull the trigger as higher priority family expenses have taken precedence over my watch hobby. In the intervening years I've also found that a 36mm case size is preferable for me. The ZEX I picked up from Eddy years ago is my most frequently worn piece. Given the choice between the SBII and this one I prefer this one hands-down. One thing I looked for but didn't find in this thread is whether there will be a bracelet or strap. Any definite plans on this yet?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickf View Post
    One thing I looked for but didn't find in this thread is whether there will be a bracelet or strap. Any definite plans on this yet?

Rick
    Please please please please please please please can we have a TF Bonklip? ;c)

Quote Originally Posted by rickf View Post
    I haven't posted here in years but this project is pulling me back in. I was a very enthusiastic fan of the SBIII (still am) but was never able to pull the trigger as higher priority family expenses have taken precedence over my watch hobby. In the intervening years I've also found that a 36mm case size is preferable for me. The ZEX I picked up from Eddy years ago is my most frequently worn piece. Given the choice between the SBII and this one I prefer this one hands-down. One thing I looked for but didn't find in this thread is whether there will be a bracelet or strap. Any definite plans on this yet?

Rick
    What about a depolyant clasp on leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    Please please please please please please please can we have a TF Bonklip? ;c)
    Eddie hates Bonklips. You can buy a cheap one and fit it yourself though.

Prototype under construction.

Eddie
    Looks really good so far.

Just to add I love the hands. So much better than the sword hands we normally see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

Yes to this, couldn't agree more.

Journeyman

Oh boy I like that!

"I haven't posted here in years but this project is pulling me back in". I'm with rickf -Looks really, really authentic! I'm starting to save my pennies..erm.. how many will I need?

I'll chime in here and for what it's worth, the sweep would definitely look far better with a longer back end and smaller counter balance like the original..
    Last edited by lambstew; 15th December 2019 at 19:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lambstew View Post
    "I haven't posted here in years but this project is pulling me back in". I'm with rickf -Looks really, really authentic! I'm starting to save my pennies..erm.. how many will I need?

I'll chime in here and for what it's worth, the sweep would definitely look far better with a longer back end and smaller counter balance like the original..
    And here speaks one of the world's authorities on military watches :-)

Ordered the movements today, delivery has shifted from April 2020 to July 2020 in only one week.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ordered the movements today, delivery has shifted from April 2020 to July 2020 in only one week.

Eddie

As they say in the US, hunker down!
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Gives me time to save!

Eddie
    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TZ-UK mobile app

Expect more to be branded Smiths, I'm building the brand up.

Eddie
    Good, the brand has history and the booby logo works well.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Love the design and will likely be in for one of these. The only thing I think needs changing is 48mm L2L is too large for a 36mm watch. Trim it down to 45/46mm and this watch will be perfect in my eyes. This will go great with an Erika’s original grey strap.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie

Craftsman
    Looks great Eddie. Dimensionally real close to what the PRS29A is. I don't see a thickness of the watch. Well I am really liking this model more and more each time I see a post on the progress.

Getting there but I think the hour hand is now too short.

Sent from my LG-H930 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post

Sent from my LG-H930 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I agree

The hour hand needs to be a smidgen longer and I think you have this nailed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I agree.

I think opinions will be divided whatever version is chosen. I still think the beauty of these watches is the functionality and no nonsense design they have (as with the original IWC). I love the more linear (less needle like) minute hand and as little gumpf (logos etc) as possible. I appreciate that to some it might be too close to the 29a but I think the style of handset is in itself enough for me to want it and is a deal breaker. The original Version IWC is sheer perfection in my eyes. I would be overjoyed to own something very similar without having to sell a kidney! Respect to Eddie for taking on board the input of members!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The hour hand now looks the same as the one on an IWC mark xi. It was too long on the original designs. Looks better now to me.

Tweaking a drawing will only get you so far, I'm waiting for the prototype now to see if any further changes are needed.

Eddie

Craftsman
    Sounds great Eddie. Really looking forward to seeing an actual photo. Can only get so much from drawings, just something about color and angles and the like.

Brian

Master
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    Latest drawing, the hour hand is the same length as the mark xi

The initial drawing, the hour hand is similar to the mark xii

Craftsman
    Tweaking a drawing will only get you so far, I'm waiting for the prototype now to see if any further changes are needed.

Eddie
    Look forward to photos. Getting better there.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    The hour hand now looks the same as the one on an IWC mark xi. Looks better now to me.

Apprentice
    Cool. Hope the design doesn't change too much.

Apprentice
    It has shorter lugs now! Sweet

Craftsman
    Oh dear ... it's growing on me ...

Not sure whether the hour hand needs shortening or the minute hand lengthening, because there is very little between them when viewed at night (using lume).

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Not sure whether the hour hand needs shortening or the minute hand lengthening, because there is very little between them when viewed at night (using lume).
    Looks like the lume image is wrong - the hour hand is shorter in the others.

Journeyman
    This looks ace, a lovely complementary watch to my IWC Mark XV with enough differences to stand apart.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

The 36mm Smiths De Luxe GS Military. I am all up for that as I also find the Mk II above to be too close to the PRS29-A (W10).
    I've mentioned recreating this model before.

I'd be all over it if it was.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

The shortened hour hand works well and gives it even more of the Mk 11 look.

Eddie
    You have my attention.

Master

I will take one

always been one of my favorite hand sets.

What I'm looking for, can't wait!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I've mentioned recreating this model before.

I'd be all over it if it was.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    I’d buy that in a heartbeat,too!

Apprentice
    I'm gonna have to sell off some of my collection but I'm really liking the look of the cream dial. The black dials look extremely cool just not sure which one I like more.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Definitely interested in black dial version. Great balance.