closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fishing Knife

Master
    Blog Entries

Fishing Knife

I'm looking for some advice on a gift for my Dad. He is retired and know he use to love fishing but hasn't had chance to do much until now.

Trying to think of a good gift for Xmas and thought a pocket knife would be useful.

Can anyone recommend a good knife for a casual fisherman?

What ever I get him he won't use but I think this is something he wouldn't buy himself and have some thought behind it.

Blog Entries
    Have a look on the Heinnie Haynes website. Excellent choice on there. They also list which are’UK friendly carry’
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Fishing Knife

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Angler or Fisherman.

Opinel No. 8 with fish etched in to the handle. This does have the Opinel ring lock, so maybe for the tackle box rather than pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless he's sea fishing he probably doesn't need a knife, most I know don't preferring to use nippers / snips.

However, they aren't an inspiring gift to be fair. If he is sea fishing, then you'll do better with a long blade for bait cutting.

So just buy the one you like the look of best.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice.

Maybe it's not the right gift.

I struggle to buy for him tbh. He genuinely doesn't want for anything and he has enough to buy himself anything he wants if he did.

Tricky this Christmas gift buying.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mora ,great knives for the money.

Perhaps some type of Leatherman? Razor sharp blade/s, needlenose pliers for hooks, various other tools for his tackle. Ooh err missus! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

A Spyderco with H1 steel will never rust. Yellow handle for visibility. Probably best with a serrated blade (won’t do filleting, though). Something like a Pacific Salt

Heinnie Hayes is indeed the place to buy them. Outstanding choice and customer service.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A Spyderco with H1 steel will never rust. Yellow handle for visibility. Probably best with a serrated blade (won’t do filleting, though). Something like a Pacific Salt

Heinnie Hayes is indeed the place to buy them. Outstanding choice and customer service.
    And both the Salt 2 and Pacific Salt are on offer at that very same store:

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-salt-2-yellow-37383
    https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-pac...in-blade-37434

If he’s a sea fisherman, then you can’t really buy better than a Marttini filleter- good for bait prep and filleting.
    If he’s more a coarse angler then maybe a fishing pliers with blades etc more akin to a multi tool would be good

Craftsman
    I fish pretty regularly, usually wading up to my armpits in rivers and bog lakes, covering 10+ miles in a day after pike.
    I also do some coarse fishing and a little bit of trout fishing when the mood takes me.

A knife is not really essential to me, but can occasionally be useful. I have a victrinox Switz army fishing knife. It was a gift and i dont get much use out of it.
    Whats much more useful is a small scissors that can cut trace wire or braid cleanly and doesnt rust. I use the scissors to open my bags of bait also.
    I also get use out of a proper wire cutters with a long reach, in case a fish has properly inhaled a bait and i cant easily get it out with a forceps without hurting the fish, then just snipping the hook at the bend and pulling it out makes unhooking easy and safe.

Master
    Sounds pretty hardcore to me. Cant he use a rod instead? 😁