closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Hello all
    thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Anyone bought one recently and got a recommendation?
    I've read a few old posts but wondering if theres any recent experience.
    I normally buy quality tools, and don't mind something up to a couple of hundred, what I don't want is some cheap fally-aparty crap.
    I'd like it to be good for bracelets (obviously!) but aLso usable for car and bike components up to the size of a carburettor for instance.
    any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks

I purchased second hand ,a Swiss made Whaledent Biosonic , from Ebay and used by a Orthodontist . If you can find something from a medical supplier or practice thats closing you will get a really good machine for a good price !

Its the law that they have to check/ inspect these machines periodically ,to make sure they are still working to spec !, they pop up on ebay/ gumtree just keep an eye out.

Its better than a cheap James or jewellery cleaner

Grand Master
    My current one cost £40 from Maplins before they went bust. I need to sort out a replacement because the cheap ones don’t last forever.....perhaps I could treat myself to two!

Thread resurection.....

Any expert opinions on the stuff here? https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co...small-up-to-3l

Bench range at between £75ish - £150ish

Master
    As has been said above Maplins used to have a good range, but are sadly no more. Key points from the classic Kawasaki scene.

I dont own one but one of the lads of the KR forum did a first class job for both my bikes.

1) Buy one with a heater, whilst the cavitation generates heat, a hot bath loosens dirt.

2) Buy one to fit an entire carb or largest component you want to clean. Also on carbs there are “ hidden” air tubes, sometimes sealed with a ball bearing. All these need to be removed before cleaning a carb, otherwise the fine dirt can migrate into these tubes and negate the clean.

3 Study utube for the best detergent for the task as many are alkaline based and given the extra energy you are putting in can tarnish / stain the work.

Lastly invest in some small cages/ containers to hold the work, this prevents valuable washers being lost in the shitty residue at the base of the cleaner.

Pm me with an email addy or whatsapp if you want to see photos of carbs after sonic clean.

Steve

Thanks - only interested in cleaning watch bracelets really!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    As has been said above Maplins used to have a good range, but are sadly no more. Key points from the classic Kawasaki scene.

I dont own one but one of the lads of the KR forum did a first class job for both my bikes.

1) Buy one with a heater, whilst the cavitation generates heat, a hot bath loosens dirt.

2) Buy one to fit an entire carb or largest component you want to clean. Also on carbs there are “ hidden” air tubes, sometimes sealed with a ball bearing. All these need to be removed before cleaning a carb, otherwise the fine dirt can migrate into these tubes and negate the clean.

3 Study utube for the best detergent for the task as many are alkaline based and given the extra energy you are putting in can tarnish / stain the work.

Lastly invest in some small cages/ containers to hold the work, this prevents valuable washers being lost in the shitty residue at the base of the cleaner.

Pm me with an email addy or whatsapp if you want to see photos of carbs after sonic clean.

Steve
    Very usefu, thank you.

I have a cleaner but was unsure of the best way to use it. I have some brackets that need cleaning and some other parts.

In the past, once they have been cleaned, they tend to be dull in colour. Do you apply any polish or do anything to get them shine again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Very usefu, thank you.

I have a cleaner but was unsure of the best way to use it. I have some brackets that need cleaning and some other parts.

In the past, once they have been cleaned, they tend to be dull in colour. Do you apply any polish or do anything to get them shine again?
    Hi I dont have a cleaner , just a guy that has done mine. I would use a mild detergent eg like baby bath soap as the cleaning energy comes from the cavitation of the bubbles as they go “pop” Dullness could be the effect of a high pH detergent eg washing up liquid.

The work I have done is carburettors which are naturally dull, if anything they look brighter after a sonic clean.

I've got a cheap eBay one (much like https://ebay.us/JLXc5L - think mine is the 3L one, but the labels are a little different) and it's fine for cleaning small components and bracelets.

I took the movement out of a gold Rotary my dad had and cleaned it and, with a nice new strap, it looks great now and my mum often wears it!

Probably true that a used commercial one would be better quality, but finding one that's not worn out or otherwise less than ideal will be the trick, there's little reason to get rid of one that's still working really.

M

I have an eBay cheapie which gets very irregular use on bracelets and a couple of coins which were left to me. I did find that the advice to use washing up liquid etc. didn't really work well, so I bought a cleaning solution from Amazon, called SeaClean 2. This is diluted with warm water and I found it to be more effective. I usually give my bracelets a couple of runs of three minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Thread resurection.....

Any expert opinions on the stuff here? https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co...small-up-to-3l

Bench range at between £75ish - £150ish
    I'll second that, they are well engineered and do a great job. I use mine to clean ultra filthy bicycle parts - lots of oil and dirt in impossible to reach areas. A friend uses his to clean parts for Tiger Moth engines, and loves it. Probably an overkill for the occasional watch strap ;-) You'd be fine with one of the £30 plastic ones, and they need less "product" to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    I'll second that, they are well engineered and do a great job. I use mine to clean ultra filthy bicycle parts - lots of oil and dirt in impossible to reach areas. A friend uses his to clean parts for Tiger Moth engines, and loves it. Probably an overkill for the occasional watch strap ;-) You'd be fine with one of the £30 plastic ones, and they need less "product" to do the job.
    I'd buy one of the industrial ones. My cheap one (Lidl, but they're all much the same) is pretty ineffectual.

Craftsman
    Has anyone had any issue with them taking the finish off anything?

I have a gold plated bracket that needs cleaning, but it's quite old and some of the finish is already starting to come off. I'm a little worried about using a sonic cleaner as I have removed finishes before (but I left them in for far too long)