timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Speedmaster

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I love the caseback on this speedy

342336-7fd6cf42d3b6a89556e3636c8fd1a9e2
    This is outstanding. Which model is this?

I'm sure I've read of a recommended seller of vintage Speedmasters on TZ-UK but can't remember his name. As I'm looking at a nearly new model (and have had my application double-ticked by the Finance Manager), I thought I may as well check out prices of vintage models too.

Thanks.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Here you go

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...-xi-3560-50-00

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    The Apollo 11 30th Anniversary limited edition from 1999. Apart from the case back the watch is a bog standard 3750.50. Nice though.
    Last edited by hhhh; 2nd December 2019 at 23:49.

Personally, I'd grab an old tritium 145.022. Find an 80s or early 90s one where the tritium has aged to a lovely green or orange colour and you'll have plenty of change from £4,500. The older tritium watches have lots of character!

Alternatively, you can probably find a -71 with a step dial if you're interested in that sort of thing, but this will cost more and be more difficult to find.

(e.g. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=704221 - although this is US-based and sold now, it gives you an idea of what you can get for the money).

Good luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post

(e.g. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=704221 - although this is US-based and sold now, it gives you an idea of what you can get for the money).

Good luck!
    And gone within 3 hours. IMO this was very keenly priced for a nice example and the quick sale would support this view. It might be difficult to find another similar deal, but it's what I would be looking for if I was going to spend £4500 on a Speedy. However, you really need to know what you are doing at this level.
    I'm still of the opinion that the safest and easiest way into (and potentially back out of) Moonwatch ownership is with a used but cared for, minty, current or late 'red box' example at the £2k/£2.5k level. It's very hard to go wrong there.

Journeyman
    I went to look at both watches (hesalite and sapphire) on Monday, and I preferred the sapphire crystal even though most people recommended the Hesalite. I bought it with the leather strap rather than a bracelet, but I doubt if I will use the original because in the pics I have seen it looks better on after market straps.
    I haven't received the watch yet (it's due tomorrow) or I would have posted a pic.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    I went to look at both watches (hesalite and sapphire) on Monday, and I preferred the sapphire crystal even though most people recommended the Hesalite. I bought it with the leather strap rather than a bracelet, but I doubt if I will use the original because in the pics I have seen it looks better on after market straps.
    I haven't received the watch yet (it's due tomorrow) or I would have posted a pic.
    Thanks for the help.
    Congrats! I’m sure you will be very happy with your new watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    Welcome to the club. Did you buy a new one?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Welcome to the club. Did you buy a new one?
    Yes, I did. There wasn't a big difference in price between a new one (with a good discount) and the pre-owned ones I looked at.

Journeyman
    Not a great photo but there it Is!
    The suitcase it comes in is a bit of a joke though, Its far too big . I've got 30 watches in one box not much bigger than that. I've got to store it somewhere where it won't get damaged but I don't have that much room left.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Currently day dreaming about a FOIS - the joy is in the hunt right!
    Enjoy the new piece

Enjoy, Speedmasters look great on a lestger strap too. Send more photos when you have them :)

After all the recent talk about Speedmasters, I decided that I really didn't know enough to venture into the vintage Speedy world but found this cracker from 2014 on SC from marcus.furious.

Immaculate and gorgeous (the watch, not marcus)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Im thinking of getting one of the broad arrow ones as I’m not really in to the space / moon thing. That said I did have a standard one which I sold to Snoodles ages ago was a great watch, look great on vintage style leather straps !

This one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a "from the Moon to Mars" Speedy in the pre-owned window of Laing's Edinburgh.

I know that discolouration is a well recorded characteristic of this model, but the example in the window is pretty extreme. Mars looks like a mottled green Venus, and the Moon looks like light blue Uranus!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondynamo View Post
    There is a "from the Moon to Mars" Speedy in the pre-owned window of Laing's Edinburgh.

I know that discolouration is a well recorded characteristic of this model, but the example in the window is pretty extreme. Mars looks like a mottled green Venus, and the Moon looks like light blue Uranus!

Just asking for a friend... how much is it?

Hmm now you're asking.

3 and a bit grand I think?