closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: South Africa 2020.

South Africa 2020.

Looking for some advice if anyone can help please..
    Looking to spend 4 nights in Cape Town then drive along the Garden Route followed by a transfer to Kruger National Park for 3 nights.
    The travel agent has put forward Southern Sun Waterfront hotel in Cape Town...the reviews are a bit good and bad and the hotel is a bus transfer away from the Waterfront area.
    Can anyone recommend a hotel nearer or on the Waterfront that won’t break the bank ideally?
    Was thinking of extending the time at Kruger at Lukimbi Lodge to four nights maybe...?
    Holiday is from 29th October till 16 November so looks like weather is good then but any advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback good or bad on the above from anyone with experience of SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don’t know about Lukimbi but when I’m out that way I try to get to Balule camp, rustic and basic but when you get the animals so close it’s well worth it. Some of the modern camps are so sterile you might as well go to Dubai and watch animals on the tv in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We did this a few year ago now. Flew to Port Elizabeth and drove the Garden Route over 3 weeks or so. We stayed at the Kariega game reserve for a few days - good, great food and drink and lots of it but ultimately very small - we drove around all of it every day. We then stopped at Knysna, Hermanus and Stellenbosch for a few days each.
    We watched the whales in the bay at Hermanus whilst spending the whole afternoon and evening in a bar, eating and drinking and the bill for both us was a whole £40. Cost of living was pretty good then!
    We liked it there and Simonstown on the Cape peninsula but both are very ex pat sort of places.
    On the whole we had a good time but they didn't do directions very well at all so we got fairly lost a few times, especially on foot; this was before the wholescale advent of satnav. Actually they didn't do "on foot" at all.
    We were surprisingly non plussed with Cape Town and spent very little time there.
    There were a few things to bring home we weren't at home - we fancied hiring a TVR Chimaera for a couple of says but were strongly advised against it and just when you were enjoying the scenery you came over a hill into a township and there were people everywhere, all over the road and the tin huts were plain to see. A real reality check. We were also told that if we had an accident don't stop, just go straight to a Police station especially if it was at night.
    Would I go back, maybe but no great hurry.

Lived in Africa myself and have travelled to SA many many times over the past 20 years, but based on the current situation won’t be going back anytime soon.

Business partner has just emigrated back to the U.K. after 15 years in Durban. He’s Rhodesian by birth and initially lived there until he was 15 and returned to SA when he was 33 . Power outages, disrupted water supply, rising murders, rapes, demonstrations, riots etc. Not reported outside SA but it’s not looking good.

When he emigrated back he also used a pet overseas company. Just to give some perspective, the company would deal with roughly 40 pets per month. Since the UK allowed grandparent descendants to emigrate back, they are now sending over 600 pets per month to the U.K. This is just in Natal.

I’m not saying don’t go, but personally if you don’t need to go, think twice or at least do your homework.

I love South Africa, love the people, just saddened it will end up like Zimbabwe. The country is catastrophically falling apart.

Apologies in advance for being a prophet of doom. Just saying as it is.

Chinnock tells it as it is unfortunately.

Cape Town is a beautiful place but other than the waterfront it’s a bit of a no go area, it has the highest murder rate in the world, (if I am not mistaken.

It’s worth a visit to see the sights but do some research about where you want to go and stay before hand. Also if not driving use trusted cabs (uber or hotel organised) also arrange transfers to and from the airport beforehand.

That said the waterfront is very nice with plenty to see and do over a day or two, dependant on time of year whale watching is a must and so is a tour of the cape / going to see the penguins. If the weather is good get up table mountain as well.

Have a look at the V&A hotel, it’s very nice, I try to stay there when I visit. Also make sure you eat in the Silo restaurant - one of the best steaks I have ever eaten.

Appreciate all the advice and recommendations

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't bother, it's going the way of Zimbabwe under the current leadership, the SA guys I work with are just holding on by their fingertips but making plans to relocate, such a shame but predictable.

Ignore the doomsters. Yes, it may be bad, but just be sensible as a tourist and you’ll have no issue.

I’ve had 4 holidays there, including 2 with children. Best holidays ever.

Master
    For the last 5 years we have spent 6 to 8 weeks a year in SA, mainly in Knysna

OK there are problems, as there are in many other countries........ but you just have to be aware of this and take a little extra care......... and not put yourself in situations were you may be at risk

SA is a wonderful country, great weather and spectacular geography ....... with wonderful people, food and wine.

Master
    I visit every 18 months or so. Sure there are problems, but I've come closer to being killed in London. I've been to Zimbabwe and it is not comparable to SA. There were water shortage last year and power shortages, but I don't imagine the Cape Argus reports on flooding in Sheffield.

October is a time of year to visit, especially the Kruger, as the grasses are low. Southern Sun is lovely or was when I stayed there is 2009. Great breakfast and easy to get to the Waterfront. The most recent time I stayed at the V&A was in the Portswood in 2017. Hotel was only OK but location was great. Camps Bay, (maybe the 12 Apostles) is probably a more glam spot to stay.

Once again thankyou for all the comments, all very helpful and interesting to see different peoples perspectives on SA.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I visit every 18 months or so. Sure there are problems, but I've come closer to being killed in London. I've been to Zimbabwe and it is not comparable to SA. There were water shortage last year and power shortages, but I don't imagine the Cape Argus reports on flooding in Sheffield.
    A fair point but in Zim no one is going to kill you for your car/ phone/ they way you look at them. The same cannot be said of SA.
    SA is suffering from the same power shortages and water issues as Zim now.
    In my opinion Zim is actually a nicer, safer place to go.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd December 2019 at 07:40.

Craftsman
    As others have said it’s fairly safe in the touristy areas but off the beaten track it’s a bit more ropey. In my opinion Kruger and the surrounding regions are safer than joburg and the north west province. I wouldn’t go back. They’re not a fan of the ‘whites’

I would say that generally Zim is safe, if you’re not set on SA I can fully recommend flying to Vic Falls and then doing a transfer into Botswana for a few days elephants galore in the Chobe National park.

Had a few days in Cape Town earlier this month.

Visiting Robben Island is a must see, former inmates take the tours, which gives a very real perspective on this historic place.

We really enjoyed dinner here:
    http://asoka.za.com/
    great food, good live music while you ate, and gets a bit livelier after about 11pm.

We were in the President Hotel in Bantry Bay which is a very nice location, though you need to use (inexpensive) cabs to get to the Waterfront etc

I really liked Cape Town but as others have said its a place of real contrasts.

Thanks for feedback. I’ll look into that restaurant

Master

South Africa 2020.

Was in CTown for 5 days for 50th last year
    Stayed in Airbnb apartment overlooking Clifton Bay beach(next to Camps Bay
    Love Capetown -it’s such an amazing place
    Trusted taxis and stick to waterfront or camps bay and you will be fine.
    We did venture into centre for food and it was fine too but it’s not as safe as it once was.
    I think Capetown is still a lot safer than Joburg as far as I know.
    The food and wine make it all worthwhile

Master
    I have a house here in Cape Town. Never had an issue and as long as you don’t go into the townships you are as safe as most other cities in the world.

Master
    La Colombe restaurant in Constantia is best place I have ever eaten if looking for somewhere special to eat.

Master
    If you want to do a "softie" Game Park experience - a night in a "Game Park" - there are a few along the Garden route - you get a good evening meal, stay the night in tented accommodation, wake at 5ish - cup of tea etc., in bed - 06:30 game drive and back for a good breakfast followed by a few hours sleep and then Lunch.

expensive-ish ........ but it's a good introduction to what's around

We usually spend a day/night at this place

https://www.botlierskop.co.za

I'm a keen photographer and I always find it enjoyable

it is about 3 or 4 hours drive due east from CapeTown along the costal main road..... just back from Mossel Bay in the hills

Have a good trip - restaurants in Cape Town can be expensive, but generally eating out is very reasonable and in some places, maybe not in Cape Town but elsewhere, you can take your own wine, (harping back to the past when licenses were restricted).

If you want the names of a few good places to eat in Knysna, good luck and not at all expensive, just PM me
    Last edited by BillN; 2nd December 2019 at 15:50.

Slight spanner in the works currently....South African airlines who I believe would fly us up to Kruger are or will be on strike very soon and may go belly up. Travel agent not allowed to proceed till things are clearer....

Craftsman
    Love South Africa. Been there On holiday 7 times in the last 3.5years. Going back in April. Never had any problems anywhere.
    As a few have said, stay in V&A and Camps Bay Area of Cape Town and you’ll be fine. 1.5 hours drive and you can be in Franshhoek which is an incredible wine area. Probably our favourite place in SA.

Andy

Master
    I can't help with the early part of your trip but if you are struggling to get to the Kruger then then don't feel you have to. Instead may I suggest Hluhluwe-iMfolozi game reserve (pronounced Shoeshlewie) which is a few hours drive north of Durban. I was there a couple of years ago and it is very good. Easy to self drive but also many good guides available. I don't know what wildlife you want to see while you are in SA. If the Big FIVE are important I saw all but leopards there but they can be tricky wherever you go. Rhinos everywhere. Giraffe, impala warthog etc etc. Unless you have to go to the Kruger then Hluhluwe-iMfolozi maybe a better bet. I've heard it's less crowded and more manageable but I haven't been to the Kruger so I can't compare but I don't feel that I have missed anything.

It is also close to iSimangaliso (St Lucia) reserve which is a wetlands reserve and therefore has different flora and fauna. (I nearly ran in to a frighteningly large hippo).

I stayed a couple of nights in Malala Lodge which is basic but comfortable with good food. The real attraction being that, as they don't have large, irritable animals within their boundaries you can walk the reserve. I saw loads of species you wouldn't see from the back of a land cruiser (wonderful butterflies, striped mongoose, Duiker and others). They do have zebra and wildebeest but they won't let you get too close to them.

They can put on tours of both reserves and they know their stuff. They are also very close to he Emdoneni Cheetah project so you get to see some of the cats you may not have seen in the reserves. Having a cheetah brush past my legs is something that I won't forget in a hurry.

As I said Malala is a bit basic and so there are other, more luxurious places nearby. I also spent a few nights at Falaza game park which consists of luxury tents and has a spa if that is important.

At the risk of sounding like a tour operator this part of South Africa is well worth considering and is a little bit off the beaten track.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Great advice, much appreciated

We did Addo elephant Park near Port Elizabeth. It has most wildlife, not just Elephants.It’s a public park and you pay on the door and drive yourself around. Think of it as like an African Knowsley Safari Park on steroids.

We probably missed out on a couple of the big five, but not that you’d notice. Significantly cheaper than private game reserves, and restaurants where fantastic. To be honest after a full day of safari type stuff, I felt I’d done it. I did need to rinse and repeat each day.

Also PE was nice for a days or two, but especially liked Francis Bay which was about one hour away.

Favourite watering hole and restaurant was the Lookout in Plettenburg Bay. We went about 4 years ago. It was £1 for a large glass on wine and £7 for a sirloin steak as thick as your arm.

Best walk was the Robberg Peninsula Nature reserve. 5/5 on TripAdvisor for a reason https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...tern_Cape.html

Master

The weather is pretty decent this time of year in Cape Town, this from my dog walk this morning!

A lot better than the weather here currently

Stayed at the waterfront a few months back for a couple of nights for work, not the best place but it is walkable to the main waterfront area/shopping mall. The room I had stink of smoke and was a bit tired.

Stayed in the portswood a few weeks back again for work, dated and tired food crap, beer crap.

Davie

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk