closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex service via AD -Choices?

Blog Entries

Rolex service via AD -Choices?

Looking for some advice on sending a Rolex in for service via an AD. I don’t really want the case refinishing but would like everything else to be done as per a standard service. Is there a standard method used by ADs to convey that information to Rolex eg a form to fill in? Also what parts would be replaced on every service?
    Was hoping to avoid travelling to RSJ.

Have had Omegas serviced before but was happy to just let them get on with it, I just don’t want the case thinning on the lugs on this one as it’s pretty much original (16610) I think.
    On the same subject does anyone have any information regarding standard lug thickness?
    Cheers
    Ian
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    When I had my Submariner serviced by RSC in 2014 I sent the watch direct to Rolex with specific instructions re not refinishing the case to which they adhered.

I don’t think you can send the watch direct anymore, certainly I had to use my local AD last month when I sent it in for its 5 year service. I would imagine that you could ask the AD to enclose a letter re your requirements.

I know Omega will send out a service pack direct to customer if requested and you can bypass the AD accordingly. This works very well for me as you can include instructions re your requirements. I did ask RSC direct if they could do this but they declined.

I much prefer Omegas approach in this matter.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 30th November 2019 at 09:59.

Master
    You can go either by your AD or direct to Rolex, they will give you an estimate and you can than specify. Also if you AD has an accredited workshop they can do it there also as you wish.

Grand Master
    Unless there is very deep damage, the amount of metal removed should be minimal and you get the watch back looking like new. Thinning of lugs is caused by poor technique combined with determination to remove even the deepish blemish. When a watch has a fairly deep mark common sense should prevail and the refinisher has to decide whether complete removal is justified. I’m sure the folks at RSC are good at it.

I think people get far too hung up over this, hence the fashion for not refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless there is very deep damage, the amount of metal removed should be minimal and you get the watch back looking like new. Thinning of lugs is caused by poor technique combined with determination to remove even the deepish blemish. When a watch has a fairly deep mark common sense should prevail and the refinisher has to decide whether complete removal is justified. I’m sure the folks at RSC are good at it.

I think people get far too hung up over this, hence the fashion for not refinishing.
    I think it’s because we have seen watches that previous owners had religiously serviced to 3-5 years intervals - hence 8-10 refinishes over a 30 year period could well thin out cases/lugs etc. especially when they are taking out all gouges where possible.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Thanks for the advice guys.

With the nearest service centre being in Kent and some way from me in the East of England I will probably have to take it to the nearest AD. I just wondered if they perhaps had va standard form to enter instructions/requests etc.

I would prefer either a light refinish or no refinish on the case if possible. What replacement parts would be covered in the normal service price?

Master
    I have just taken my 16610 into the AD Laings, in Southampton, (the nearest AD to me),.

I said I just wanted a regular "service" - "please do not replace the dial or bezel etc"

They gave me what looked like their standard "piece of paper" which gave a description of the watch, the fee, (an estimate of £580), which I signed

The assistant said that he would photograph the watch before sending it to the RSC

They said it would go to the RSC and I would get an email in 2 weeks time stating what they recommend should be done - I could then say "yes or no"

The estimated date that they would return the watch to me serviced, etc., was 31st January 2020.

He said that the watch would come back looking "as new"

(I will never never go into Southampton again shopping - never bloody never - I'll leave it to my wife - thanks God for the internet)
    Last edited by BillN; 30th November 2019 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    In which case, if RSC consider that the dial or bezel look worn or aged in any way (ie patina’d), then they will replace them with service items. They will also polish the heck out of the case and bracelet.

That’s how they get old watches looking ‘as new’. It also decimates the value of any potentially vintage watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    In which case, if RSC consider that the dial or bezel look worn or aged in any way (ie patina’d), then they will replace them with service items. They will also polish the heck out of the case and bracelet.

That’s how they get old watches looking ‘as new’. It also decimates the value of any potentially vintage watches.
    They have been told specifically not to do this and I was assured that if the RSC feel anything else is needed apart from a service and "light" polish - (the watch has no marks apart from hairlines on the clasp) - they will inform me by email, normally within 2 weeks, what they feel needs to be done, plus a revised estimate, in the (standard) email that they send before commencing any work

Master
    I took my 1980 Rolex Explorer11 1655 in for a service to the local AD who is Rolex accredited. The manager advised me not to have the well worn besel replaced and also to leave the case untouched. His side kick came along and backed him up saying that replacing the besel in particular would destroy the history of the watch. I reluctantly agreed and as a result, I often wear a knackered looking old watch.

I still don't know whether I did the right thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I took my 1980 Rolex Explorer11 1655 in for a service to the local AD who is Rolex accredited. The manager advised me not to have the well worn besel replaced and also to leave the case untouched. His side kick came along and backed him up saying that replacing the besel in particular would destroy the history of the watch. I reluctantly agreed and as a result, I often wear a knackered looking old watch.

To be honest I don't mind it having items replaced, in an effort to put it back into 'as new' condition. It's not especially vintage or desirable any more than any other 16610. Maybe in the future I'll regret that when it hasn't got the 'patina' someone is looking for but I doubt it. It's simply the case and lugs that I wouldn't want slimming down by any noticeable amount. If it was a Subc with the 'Sue Ellen' shoulders it probably wouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You absolutely did the right thing. You only have to compare the value of an ‘all original’ watch vs a similar age watch with service parts that have been replaced over the years.

Apart from the fact that those ‘knocks, bumps and ageing’ were put on by you. If the watch ever ends up with your child or grandchild, I’m sure that will mean much more to them.

Blog Entries
    I have just taken my 16610 into the AD Laings, in Southampton, (the nearest AD to me),.

I said I just wanted a regular "service" - "please do not replace the dial or bezel etc"

They gave me what looked like their standard "piece of paper" which gave a description of the watch, the fee, (an estimate of £580), which I signed

The assistant said that he would photograph the watch before sending it to the RSC

They said it would go to the RSC and I would get an email in 2 weeks time stating what they recommend should be done - I could then say "yes or no"

The estimated date that they would return the watch to me serviced, etc., was 31st January 2020.

(I will never never go into Southampton again shopping - never bloody never - I'll leave it to my wife - thanks God for the internet)
    That's interesting, so about a 2 month wait then? Perhaps I need to get mine away as soon as possible if I'm going to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's interesting, so about a 2 month wait then? Perhaps I need to get mine away as soon as possible if I'm going to.
    yes Sir, you have to wait 2 months to get your watch back and that'll be a minimum of £580

all part of the Rolex magic

and don't ask me what the reaction was when I asked if I could go on the list for a Pepsi - or even the "expression of interest" list for a 14060

Blog Entries
    yes Sir, you have to wait 2 months to get your watch back and that'll be a minimum of £580

and don't ask me what the reaction was when I asked if I could go on the list for a Pepsi - or even the "expression of interest" list for a 14060
    Thought that was the kind of cost I was looking at. Had my Planet Ocean serviced a while back and that was 'reassuringly expensive' as they say!!

Got a similar reaction at the AD at their sales event the other night, when I asked how I was doing with regards the Pepsi I supposedly went on the list for when they came out. Bought 2 steel and gold Rolex, an Explorer2 and a lot of jewellery in the last 2 years and they still look at me like I stole their last Rolo!

Master

My Submariner has just come back from RSC, via AD, and I certainly didn’t get an email re suggested work.

RSC just did their usual amazing job, cost was £580 and time taken was 6 weeks although I guess the Xmas period may impact that timescale somewhat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    My Submariner has just come back from RSC, via AD, and I certainly didn’t get an email re suggested work.

RSC just did their usual amazing job, cost was £580 and time taken was 6 weeks although I guess the Xmas period may impact that timescale somewhat.
    What model is it please? Is it a 16610?

Master
    What model is it please? Is it a 16610?
    It’s a 14060M bought new in 2004.

Blog Entries
    It’s a 14060M bought new in 2004.
    Did you notice if the lugs were visibly thinner after refinishing?

So is there a price difference between taking direct to rolex St James square or going through a local AD? Been meaning to get my ceramic sub 2010 serviced...

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Did you notice if the lugs were visibly thinner after refinishing?
    Not as far as I can see but, as the AD said the watch was virtually immaculate when it went for service with no discernible scratches on the watch head, and I imagine it only had a very light polish.

I must admit that I do tend to baby my watches and my Sub is rarely worn these days.

As Paul (Walkerwek1958) states, the manufacturers are very skilled at refinishing and I imagine any metal removed is virtually undetectable in any case.

I think you would be quite safe in sending your watch to RSC, you could always specify that you don’t want them to polish the watch head if that’s what you want.

Even if you opt for the full service, including polish/refinish, I doubt you would notice any difference re lug thickness.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 2nd December 2019 at 17:38.

Blog Entries
    Not as far as I can see but, as the AD said the watch was virtually immaculate when it went for service with no discernible scratches on the watch head, and I imagine it only had a very light polish.

I must admit that I do tend to baby my watches and my Sub is rarely worn these days.

As Paul (Walkerwek1958) states, the manufacturers are very skilled at refinishing and I imagine any metal removed is virtually undetectable in any case.

I think you would be quite safe in sending your watch to RSC, you could always specify that you don’t want them to polish the watch head if that’s what you want.

Even if you opt for the full service, including polish/refinish, I doubt you would notice any difference re lug thickness.
    I think you're right, which is just as well as I dropped it off at the AD today. Didn't give any specific instructions so we'll see what happens. Should be back in January with any luck!

Master
    I think you're right, which is just as well as I dropped it off at the AD today. Didn't give any specific instructions so we'll see what happens. Should be back in January with any luck!
    I’m sure it will be fine, please let us know what you think on its return.

Cephas Mckeough in St. James Road, Shirley, Southampton is an ex Rolex watchmaker. If you're just looking for a service and don't want any parts replaced he's every bit as good as a "main dealer." You don't need to go in to the centre of town either!

Thank you for the details on the scheduling.
    Last week I left my Rolex with the AD to be sent back to RSC for work including a service to be done.

Before taking my watch to the AD, I spoke with the RSC who advised me that any watches received now would be done after Christmas & the New Year as they will be closed for two weeks. They then supported that in an email, along with details of the work I had requested.

Blog Entries
    I’m sure it will be fine, please let us know what you think on its return.
    Was phoned by the AD this morning and it seems on first inspection Rolex recommend replacing the crown, but so far thats all.

Still looking at sometime in January for return.

Ask them to keep the old crown for you.
    They’re generally not that worn out when they replace them.... and it’s a nice thing to keep with the full set. ( or I might be mad .... but I would!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Ask them to keep the old crown for you.
    They’re generally not that worn out when they replace them.... and it’s a nice thing to keep with the full set. ( or I might be mad .... but I would!)

Never thought of that. Might have to ask.

Grand Master
    I think its sensible to consider the crown on this model as a consumable part and have it replaced. Threads wear, and seals deteriorate, you really don’t want to risk getting water in the watch and that’s why Rolex recommend replacement. Provided the replacement crown is identical, there really isn’t a rational argument in favour of not changing it. Unless I’m mistaken Rolex won’t return replaced parts, a Rolex accredited indy might if you ask nicely, but in my view retaining an old original crown adds nothing to the value if the watch, the ‘full set’ concept has got silly, it’s like retaining the original worn out tyres with your car.

Well it depends. ‘Part worn’ tyres are worth money. So is a crown. It’s his property.

Craftsman
    On a related note, does anyone know when the service centre at St James is open again?

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know when the service centre at St James is open again?
    Summer 2020

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Summer 2020
    Thank you

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Well it depends. ‘Part worn’ tyres are worth money. So is a crown. It’s his property.

It may be his property, but you know what Rolex are like! The replacement parts are fitted on an exchange basis, they keep the old bits to prevent people selling second-hand Rolex parts. This means the owner is faced with the choice of replacing the crown or insisting the original is fitted, with potential consequences if the seals deteriorate over the next few years.

My dealings with Rolex watches are v. limited, but when I had a bezel insert replaced several years back on a 16610 ( by an accredited indy, not Rolex service centre) the old one was returned. This is why I suggested dealing with an indy if having parts returned is deemed important.