closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zenith chronometro Tipo CP 2 a bit special

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was out riding my motorbike yesterday,parking up someone was admiring it and we got talking.

He was a RAF pilot out of Brize Norton riding a GPZ900, I jokingly said anything to do with top gun? and he said yes he liked the bilke anyway but that was the deicder when he bought it.

When he was based at RAF Bruggen they went on a deployment to Decimomannu Air Base an Italian Air Force (Aeronautica Militare) Base located approximately 5 km north of Decimomannu,in the Province of Cagliari on the island of Sardinia in Italy.

He and a few other members of his squadron asked for permission to ride their bikes over which took 3 days.

What a amazing trip riding bikes over to Sardinia (ive done it myself its great fun) then dueling with Starfighters over the clear blue skys.

I asked him what watch he was wearing but he doesent when riding,he told me he wears an old casio when flying I cant remember the model.

I mentioned I had a Zenith Tipo and told him the history,but he didnt realy have an interest in watches.

The thing is of all the places I want to go back to since lockdown is Sardinia and I would lobve to meet someone with one of the original issued Zeniths.

thats about as close I am going to get.

RAF officers are a lot more down to earth (no pun intended) than army officers in my experiance.

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/...ntDeciline.htm

Master
    I’ve had two CP2s, lovely watch, real class. I wouldn’t mind another one. In terms of history, I seem to remember that they were worn by ‘starfighter’ pilots. Not the luckiest bunch in aviation history.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just 4 more interest free payments to go,very grateful to the TZer who gave the heads up.

Master
    Lucky you - 22 more to go for me! Worth every penny though, especially at 30% off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    30% off thats a good saving.

I cant remember what percent I got off,but interest free seems like a saving plan so I took it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    30% off thats a good saving.

I cant remember what percent I got off,but interest free seems like a saving plan so I took it.
    Happened to find mine in the EJ sale, so took the interest free option as well. An awesome watch, as you say in the thread title - “a bit special”!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow ? that’s a stunning piece and a bargain at that money.

These are one of the best looking watches released in recent years. I have tried one on numerous times (almost every time I pass through Duty Free)
    2 things have stopped my buying though.

1. I already have an original Heuer Bund and a Sinn 155 manufactum so it would be a bit too similar to watches I already own.
    2. The movement is too small for the case which results in the subdials being too close to the centre of the dial, Zenith have tried to counter this by increasing the subdial size but it does not look quite right to me, it took me a while to work it out though.

However for the money these have been available for it’s easy to ignore those 2 minor issues, I am sure I will try it on again next time I pass through an airport.

Master
    Blog Entries
    2. The movement is too small for the case which results in the subdials being too close to the centre of the dial, Zenith have tried to counter this by increasing the subdial size but it does not look quite right to me, it took me a while to work it out though.

I dont see that,I like the way the dials dont cut through 2 and 4 nor 8 and 10.

To me its more pleasing on the eye.

The original Cairelli's didn't have nibbled numbers either.
    The sub-dial position is the only reason I never went for one of these too.
    On the original the spacing from centre to sub-dial matches the spacing from sub-dial to dial edge.
    On these new ones all the space is on the outside.
    There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't look good to me.
    D

Master
    Blog Entries
    I see what you mean,but only notice it now you have gone into detail.
    It isnt something that bothers me as its a minimal differance I dont notice.

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1...30733641515083

Zenith chronometro Tipo CP 2 a bit special

2 pictures of the original stolen from the web

The sub dials are around 1.5mm closer to the edge of the dial compared to the reissue

(Picture also stolen from the web)

There is nothing in it really but I know it’s there and as it’s just enough to make my OCD twitch

I think it’s a lovely watch and would rather have one of these over every other modern chrono on sale today but if it were not for this minor issue I would already own one.

The alternative is to find an original but I don’t fancy re mortgaging my home currently.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st July 2021 at 13:54.

Master
    I do like the reissue but that Cairelli......I want one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    "There is nothing in it really but I know it’s there and as it’s just enough to make my OCD twitch".

I dont have it as bad as you but when I went in one shop I asked if they could align the bezel on a watch in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    These are one of the best looking watches released in recent years. I have tried one on numerous times (almost every time I pass through Duty Free)
    2 things have stopped my buying though.

1. I already have an original Heuer Bund and a Sinn 155 manufactum so it would be a bit too similar to watches I already own.

However for the money these have been available for it’s easy to ignore those 2 minor issues, I am sure I will try it on again next time I pass through an airport.

Had the aged metal flyback version - reason number two is why I sold it. Once seen, can't be unseen.