closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vegetarian sausages

Vegetarian sausages

Hi
    We eat most weekends at Cote brassiere. A french restaurant mainly in the south. They do a cracking breakfast. My wife is a veggie and loves their vegetarian sausages.

Any recommendations for a veggie sausage that I can buy. The main suspects in a supermarket don’t look that appealing

Thanks
    Andy

Master
    Linda Maccartney.

I'm a carnivore through and through, and as a chef, dietary requirements are the bane of my life. But I will happily eat these sausages, I really enjoy them. I give them a minute in the microwave from frozen and then deep fry for a minute or two to give a bit of crunch and texture.

I doubt cote make their own,so also worth just asking what brand it is.

^^^ Agreed.

Most stuff in the LM range is terrible 5hite, but the red onion and rosemary sausages are lovely.

I bake them for 20 minutes and eat them at weekends in sausage and fried egg sandwiches

Otherwise, Cauldron are good (but shallow fry rather than bake). The kids found them too peppery so I haven't had any for a while.

Master
    Linda Mc nothing like sausages, I don't mind them but very old school veggie. Quorn and Cauldron both good. The latter do Lincs and Cumberland and one is less peppery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Linda Mc nothing like sausages, I don't mind them but very old school veggie.
    They're veggie you see, not 'plant based'. Makes a big difference, you know?

One thing we find is that they try to make veggie stuff too meaty appearing. A bit of modification can be useful. We like to use the LMc meatballs to make burgers and sausages just add appropriate spices and maybe a binding egg in the burgers.
    Top tip: Quorn cocktail sausages make oustanding veggie sausage rolls. We make loads for Xmas.

My wife likes the Linda Mc ones, shes not veggie, but not as carnivorous as me. Wasn't a big fan myself, but they could be worse. Tried a bite of one of the burgers the other day and must admit that was pretty damn good, better than any real meat? frozen burger, though id prefer my own homemade meaty one.

A meat eater here, who isn’t a fan of veg.
    Got talked into trying the Linda Mc ones - wow, they are superb!
    Fancy trying the mentioned Cumberland ones now - Quorn I think.

Master
    Tubes :)

Craftsman
    I did the veggie thing for almost a year. Didn’t like Linda McCartneys but the Veggie Kitchen from Farmfoods and the Quorn sausages were good.

Master
    Linda McCartney obviously, Richmond, and Farm Foods own.Linda McCartney Sausages with Red Onion & Rosemary are superb.
    Veggie Blackpuddings are tasty too.
    Me and missus RD have been veggie since xmas '91 and started off making our own with Sosmix but the variety of veggie sausages means no need for that now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    One thing we find is that they try to make veggie stuff too meaty appearing. A bit of modification can be useful. We like to use the LMc meatballs to make burgers and sausages just add appropriate spices and maybe a binding egg in the burgers.
    Top tip: Quorn cocktail sausages make oustanding veggie sausage rolls. We make loads for Xmas.
    Veggie Haggis by McSweens mmmmm for xmas.I love roast spuds done in marmite too.

Quorn, but only the ones called Best of British - they’re significantly better than the other Quorn sausages

Cauldron, but they are expensive.

Sainsbury’s and Tesco Lincolnshire veggie sausages are lovely, taste like Cauldrons and much cheaper. Find them in the frozen aisle.

Don’t like Linda Mcartney and really don’t like Quorn sausages.

Master
    Anybody else tried this...Fry's Vegan Polony
    it's lovely sliced then fried or grilled.

https://www.ocado.com/products/fry-s...rozen-97461011

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Anybody else tried this...Fry's Vegan Polony
    it's lovely sliced then fried or grilled.

https://www.ocado.com/products/fry-s...rozen-97461011
    Phony polony?

Master
    Anything Quorn works for me.
    LMcC good for pies but not much else.

Message to any cafe owners/chefs out there - there’s nothing worse when ordering a veggie breakfast than getting two of those dreadful veggie “sausages” that seem to have bits of pea and/or sweet corn derivative and disintegrate on first contact - and taste vile. If you want to save money serve up one decent sausage instead.

Like a lot of people I’m highly allergic to Quorn :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Another vote for Linda McC - nothing at all like a sausage but very nice in themselves.

Sausage .... Definition " ​a mixture of finely chopped meat, fat, bread, etc. in a long tube of skin, cooked and eaten whole or served cold in thin slices " .... source Oxford Dictionary.

Quorn ... Definition " the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 " developed by ICI

Ergo, "Quorn Sausage" is by definition a misnomer ... unless they include a few worms from the soil while they are at it....

just add appropriate spices and maybe a binding egg in the burgers.
    Similarly, Quorn mince is taken to another level if you use goose fat for browning the onions etc

I think we've already had this one:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...67-Vegetarians
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think we've already had this one:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...67-Vegetarians
    Thanks but that was six years Ago!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will get tasting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Phony polony?
    I don't think I've tried the real McCoy but that stuff's lovely

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Similarly, Quorn mince is taken to another level if you use goose fat for browning the onions etc
    Why would you use goose fat with a vegetarian meal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Phony polony?
    Balony

Why would you use goose fat with a vegetarian meal ?

Who said anything about a vegetarian meal? I eat Quorn mince because I like it and prefer it to supermarket industrial beef mince. It's just a non-meat ingredient, like a shallot, or a tin of tomatoes. Hopefully in time someone will come up with a vegan mince that is even nicer than Quorn mince.

Master
    Who said anything about a vegetarian meal? I eat Quorn mince because I like it and prefer it to supermarket industrial beef mince. It's just a non-meat ingredient, like a shallot, or a tin of tomatoes. Hopefully in time someone will come up with a vegan mince that is even nicer than Quorn mince.
    The thread is about vegetarian sausages for a vegetarian !!

The thread is about vegetarian sausages for a vegetarian !!

And the OP has been given lots of helpful answers for nice veggie sausages to buy for his wife. My post doesn't delete any of them, and, furthermore, comes after them.

Are non-vegetarians permitted to eat meat substitutes? Given how much we hear of the environmental benefits of a vegetarian food, I would have thought so.

LM are good but make a mess of my George Foreman. Despite others tasting worse, I tend to eat the ‘drier’ ones that don’t leak anything onto the grill. Pure laziness.

Master
    And the OP has been given lots of helpful answers for nice veggie sausages to buy for his wife. My post doesn't delete any of them, and, furthermore, comes after them.

Are non-vegetarians permitted to eat meat substitutes? Given how much we hear of the environmental benefits of a vegetarian food, I would have thought so.
    You're perfectly entitled to eat whatever you want to eat.

Craftsman
    If not mentioned already, Waitrose do a very good vegetarian/vegan offering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post

Quorn ... Definition " the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 " developed by ICI
    Yum!

No one in our gang is truly veggie but we have cut down on meat drastically hence previous post. Also we mostly buy our meat from butcher and although pricey it's still affordable due to not requiring so much.
    Re sausage and burger definition, since 'industrial/catering style sausages contain as little as 32% meat and burgers 62% what is the rest of it?
    Water, onion, flour, meal etc anything but meat. Sausages can also be made from MRM (mechanically recovered) or slurry and could be from ears, eyeballs, tongues, teeth, arseholes in fact anything that you'd hesitate to feed your dog
    I went right off sausages for years after seeing a program about it.

Master
    Cauldron are my first choice and would rather have nothing than eat the LM ordinary offerings to be honest. I’ve not tried the red onion ones yet though so but probably will do at some point.
    The mince and burgers from the Meatless Farm Co is excellent and the shawarma vege ‘meat’ from Vivera is just about the best i’ve eaten in 30 years as a vegetarian, stick it in a large naan and you’ve got the perfect vege kebab!

Sainsbury's Love Your Veg! Vegan Shroomdogs !

You wont be disappointed

Master
    No one in our gang is truly veggie but we have cut down on meat drastically hence previous post. Also we mostly buy our meat from butcher and although pricey it's still affordable due to not requiring so much.
    Re sausage and burger definition, since 'industrial/catering style sausages contain as little as 32% meat and burgers 62% what is the rest of it?
    Water, onion, flour, meal etc anything but meat. Sausages can also be made from MRM (mechanically recovered) or slurry and could be from ears, eyeballs, tongues, teeth, arseholes in fact anything that you'd hesitate to feed your dog
    I went right off sausages for years after seeing a program about it.
    I don't think there's anywhere near as many vegan/veggies as the media reckon.
    I've worked with one or two over the years but none among the friends and relatives we have.
    We stayed in a guest house in Myerhofen in 2015 and I think there were about 16 people and over half ordered a vegetarian meal the first night but only 3 of us were vegetarian.
    When they used to serve meals on flights years ago there'd only be us 2 who'd order the veggie option

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Sainsbury’s veggie sausages are lovely
    I used to buy these but our local store stopped selling them, hence my move to LM.

It always annoys me when they mess about with the product ranges. It's obviously for fiscal reasons but there are a few things I can't get now, like Orzo pasta. I have to order it online, which is ridiculous.

Craftsman
    LM sausages are fantastic. I'm also a meat eater but halal meat only for me, use to have these as a teenager. Love the LM sausages in pastry, abit of beaten egg basted on top and then in the oven till cooked, they are fantastic!

On the back of this thread I tried Heck Beetroot and horseradish sausages last night. Very nice they were.

I did pork sausages for the rest of the family but the Mother in law and daughter tried one and thought they were good

I like the concept of cutting down on meat and pretty much do it all the time when away on business and try to do at least 1-2 non meat meals a week at home.

Wouldn’t go full vegan as what would I do with my collection of brogues?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I used to buy these but our local store stopped selling them, hence my move to LM.

It always annoys me when they mess about with the product ranges. It's obviously for fiscal reasons but there are a few things I can't get now, like Orzo pasta. I have to order it online, which is ridiculous.
    Tesco one from the freezer are just as nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cauldron are the best by far.

Molesting vegetables into the shape of meat products to offer an alternative to eating meat has always struck me as an odd idea. I genuinely don’t understand what is to be gained by the shaping of said vegetables, yet I can easily understand why people might choose a meat-free diet. In all seriousness I look forward to someone enlightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Molesting vegetables into the shape of meat products to offer an alternative to eating meat has always struck me as an odd idea. I genuinely don’t understand what is to be gained by the shaping of said vegetables, yet I can easily understand why people might choose a meat-free diet. In all seriousness I look forward to someone enlightening me.
    Maybe for the same reason meat mince is made into sausages, patties or balls.

Molesting vegetables into the shape of meat products
    Admittedly, there are consent issues surrounding the remainder, but actually most vegetables actively enjoy dressing up as meat.

It's probably for the benefit of converted meat eaters. Makes it easier for them if the veggie option resembles the real thing. Like vape sticks looking like cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Wouldn’t go full vegan as what would I do with my collection of brogues?!
    TZ-UK mobile app
    This is featuring more and more in my thinking recently, been doing a lot of hunting for vegan watch straps recently - but that’s probably not for a thread about sausages!

Master
    Firstly the ingredients aren't really vegetables, except those dreadful sweetcorn, carrot and peas in mash things someone else mentioned. Much beloved of cafes and chip shops.

Secondly, most people don't go meat free because they don't like meat, they do it for ethical or health reasons so it's nice to still eat a source of protein (don't get me started on jack fruit), with a good savour taste in a relatively solid form. Veggie food can tend to slop otherwise. (Don't get me wrong, I like slop but sometimes 'meat' and two veg is nice.)