closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Major Event ongoing in London Bridge

Hybrid View

Major Event ongoing in London Bridge

Gunshots, ambulances everywhere. Hope it isn't too bad.

Reports of a male shot and killed by armed police officers at London Bridge

Agreed.
    Astonished he was allowed out, albeit apparently tagged, I'll say no more out of respect for the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed.
    Astonished he was allowed out, albeit apparently tagged, I'll say no more out of respect for the rules.
    We can’t just throw them in jail and toss away the key for every offence, but if it’s a terrorism offence then on release he should be deported surely? Two discussions there.....should sentences be lengthened and should deportation on release be mandatory. Reoffending is so common in all crimes - we don’t learn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    We can’t just throw them in jail and toss away the key for every offence, but if it’s a terrorism offence then on release he should be deported surely?
    To where? He was born in Stoke on Trent.

Great heroism by members of the public here, and decisive/quick action by the Police.

I wish everywhere had access to the quick response we saw yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Great heroism by members of the public here, and decisive/quick action by the Police.

I wish everywhere had access to the quick response we saw yesterday.
    If nowhere to deport to them they have to stay inside then

We can’t just throw them in jail and toss away the key for every offence, but if it’s a terrorism offence then on release he should be deported surely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Deporting him back there would be cruel in the extreme.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

We can’t just throw them in jail and toss away the key for every offence, but if it’s a terrorism offence then on release he should be deported surely? Two discussions there.....should sentences be lengthened and should deportation on release be mandatory. Reoffending is so common in all crimes - we don’t learn
    I think certain crimes in specific circumstances should carry the maximum penalty, for the good of society, to ensure further harm is prevented and because rehab won't/can't work because of how some individuals are 'wired' whether by nature/nurture or a combo of both , just my view. Seems common sense to me, if you look/go deep into the abyss it looks back/ marks you.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th November 2019 at 09:50.

Someone had been shot by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Someone had been shot by the police.
    I watched it happen. Right next to our building. Just been evacuated.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I watched it happen. Right next to our building. Just been evacuated.

Surely safer to lock the doors and keep everyone in,than evacuate everyone outside!.......IMO.

Master
    Thanks for flagging. Hope it settles quickly.

It was a stabbing according to MPS feed.

Blog Entries
    Did I see footage of a guy lying on top of the perp? (London Crime LDN on Twitter). If so, what a hero!

Blog Entries
    Very very graphic scenes on Twitter. Too graphic to post here in the G&D. What you see is a bunch of people holding one one guy down (filmed from a dubbledecker bus), one by one they step back. One bystander walks backwards with a huge knife in his hand as if he's securing it from the offender. The police is near the scene. The people in the bus say: "He has a knife!". (Referring to the bystander at 10 yrds with the knife pointing down?) Then the police pulls off the last remaining guy then we hear a shot. Footage by Mr T Watt / @ monkeytripes on Twitter.
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th November 2019 at 16:13.

Craftsman

I was only up the road in Bermondsey this morning , didnt know anything about it . Got the bus towards london bridge (Abbey Rd ) on the way home and there was some traffic but thought this was normal . Little busy as we went round to Tower Bridge , just listened to traffic report looks like bridge is closed !

Lots of police and now paramedics going into the adjoining Building. Concerns are that he entered and attacked multiple people.

Brave and ingenious use of the items they had to hand to press into service as weapons, absolutely top team work and instincts.

Sad state of affairs. Our capital is a bit of a mess currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now...Netherlands stabbing: Several hurt in attack in The Hague

Several people have been injured in a stabbing attack at a department store in a busy shopping street in The Hague, Dutch police say.

Police are searching for a man aged between 45 and 50, wearing a grey jogging tracksuit, who they believe may be behind the attack.

Images on social media showed emergency services at the scene amid crowds of Black Friday shoppers.

The condition of those injured and the motive for the attack remain unclear.

The incident happened at the Hudson's Bay store in the city's Grote Markt or main market square area, local reports say...

Blog Entries
    Indeed, the major shopping street in The Hague with all shops open for black friday. You won't find it more crowded than that. The knife this guy has used is found and secured. Hopefully traces on the knife will lead to him.

Why does anyone need a knife in central London? Or any populated town? Don't see why not wanting someone carrying a knife outside Monument makes any of us brainwashed. You're not in a forest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Why does anyone need a knife in central London? Or any populated town? Don't see why not wanting someone carrying a knife outside Monument makes any of us brainwashed. You're not in a forest.
    Many deer stalkers, shooters, and bush crafters live in central London and populated towns. They own guns and knives. Stopping them owning them will not prevent gang violence with knives or terrorist incidents with knives. I don't think anyone is arguing to be able to carry large knives in public places where there is no need for them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The mother of one of the people murdered works at the same company as me. It’s an awful situation. Please remember that the victims are real people, with family and friends when commenting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The mother of one of the people murdered works at the same company as me. It’s an awful situation. Please remember that the victims are real people, with family and friends when commenting.
    Yes. Perhaps the time has come for this to continue in another place.

Major Event ongoing in London Bridge

Knife laws don’t prevent anything if premeditated. If carrying a knife in some random environment like a pub on a Friday night with alcohol involved then the problem isn’t premeditation it’s spontaneous heat of the moment occurrences that are preventable. It’s hard to pin down with words but “having reasonable cause to be carrying a knife” is the thing.

Obviously strolling to the local slug and lettuce with a 7” Bowie has lots of potential to end badly and you might struggle to come up with reasonable cause for having it on your person
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 1st December 2019 at 13:25.

Blog Entries
    Knife laws don’t prevent anything if premeditated. If carrying a knife in some random environment like a pub on a Friday night with alcohol involved then the problem isn’t premeditation it’s spontaneous heat of the moment occurrences that are preventable. It’s hard to pin down with words but “having reasonable cause to be carrying a knife” is the thing.

Obviously strolling to the local slug and lettuce with a 7” Bowie has lots of potential to end badly and you might struggle to come up with reasonable cause for having it on your person
    I think the knife laws we have are sensible. You need 'good reason' to carry fixed blade knives and that can only be a good thing really. It means those who have a need to use knives can legally do so.

The problem is that we now talk about 'knife crime' as though it is basically the fault of knives, which are after all inanimate objects which pose no threat in themselves. What we really have is a problem with 'gang violence' driven by drugs and territory issues in some areas and which is spilling into other areas as the drug gangs target more rural areas as well. If youth gangs are going to fight over territory, they will always find weapons to use. What next? Ban screwdrivers, tent pegs or whatever else becomes the weapon of choice. Any solutions will probably have to come from the communities and families of those involved rather than trying to disarm them.

We could say that armed and violent robbery is often 'jewellery and watch crime'! Which could be prevented by banning jewellery and expensive watches, rather than tackling those responsible!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think the knife laws we have are sensible. You need 'good reason' to carry fixed blade knives and that can only be a good thing really. It means those who have a need to use knives can legally do so.

The problem is that we now talk about 'knife crime' as though it is basically the fault of knives, which are after all inanimate objects which pose no threat in themselves. What we really have is a problem with 'gang violence' driven by drugs and territory issues in some areas and which is spilling into other areas as the drug gangs target more rural areas as well. If youth gangs are going to fight over territory, they will always find weapons to use. What next? Ban screwdrivers, tent pegs or whatever else becomes the weapon of choice. Any solutions will probably have to come from the communities and families of those involved rather than trying to disarm them.

We could say that armed and violent robbery is often 'jewellery and watch crime'! Which could be prevented by banning jewellery and expensive watches, rather than tackling those responsible!!
    Yes, they will always find some suitable weapon (screwdrivers etc) - but that is already covered under the non-specific “offensive weapon’ laws. So no - a law banning those is NOT next.

Carry a baseball bat in your car on a permanent basis? That could put you on your back feet if stopped for anything else criminal - an offensive weapon. Carry a wheel brace/breaker bar? There is a genuine reason for it being there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yes, they will always find some suitable weapon (screwdrivers etc) - but that is already covered under the non-specific “offensive weapon’ laws. So no - a law banning those is NOT next.....
    Well, kitchen and other knives are covered by the exact same "offensive weapon" law, and under specific knife carry laws. So why ban those either?

But they still may be banned from sale unless having a 'rounded' end apparently. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...itchen-knives/

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well, kitchen and other knives are covered by the exact same "offensive weapon" law, and under specific knife carry laws. So why ban those either?

But they still may be banned from sale unless having a 'rounded' end apparently. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...itchen-knives/
    You are quoting the P&J and Scottish laws which are different from rest of UK in several areas.

I’m not sure what you are asking in first para, or why you are asking me?

We use this argument often enough when talking about gun violence /ownership in the US: it’s cultural.
    Same goes, unfortunately, for knife crime in this country. Popularised and demonised by the Daily Heil and its cohort of red tops, they manage to scare people with what was nothing but a tool. A tool that scares people? Now how many wannabe tough youngsters would think it’s a great idea? Plus every kitchen has loads, every supermarket sells them...
    On the continent, our youths are no angels. We also have gangs, drugs, violence.
    You can buy most knives quite easily, provided you’re over 18.
    The carrying laws are roughly the same (speaking for France now), yet no one will bat an eyelid if you get your Opinel out to eat an apple in the train.
    A lock on a blade is a safety device: it doesn’t turn the holder in a bloodthirsty monster.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    gun violence /ownership in the US: it’s cultural
    I believe it's political. The NRA are major supporters of the democrats, regularly donating over $1m a year.

This Charlton Heston clip is scary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju4Gla2odw

Also, in the USA, over 2/3rds of gun related deaths are suicide. Most suicide attempts fail, except where there is a gun involved.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I believe it's political. The NRA are major supporters of the democrats, regularly donating over $1m a year.

This Charlton Heston clip is scary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju4Gla2odw

Also, in the USA, over 2/3rds of gun related deaths are suicide. Most suicide attempts fail, except where there is a gun involved.

George & Dragon. ​ "Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion."
    F.T.F.A.