closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex versus Others - try to make it a non aggressive (anti-Rolex) discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post

The only Rolex watches that are affordable are those you decide not to hold on to. Those worth keeping are an expensive proposition.
    Given that so many Rolex watches now sit in a safe unworn it could be argued that as timepieces they offer poor value for money.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never into Rolex when I was younger, I always liked Breitlings because they had great AR and fighter pilots wore them in the ads.

A few years later I had the option of a speedy pro or sub, and picked the Omega which is still a great watch though financially what a blunder!

Many watches later lots of Zenith's and mid priced experiments I started to appreciate Rolex watches more and more, and I think I definitely prefer the watches to the brand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Given that so many Rolex watches now sit in a safe unworn it could be argued that as timepieces they offer poor value for money.
    I wear mine regularly, and more than any others I own. I feel sorry for people who feel it necessary to hide them away in safes, chasing future values or profit.

"Drive it like you stole it" applies, or you're just saving it for someone else to enjoy.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I don't understand the question...

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I wear mine regularly, and more than any others I own. I feel sorry for people who feel it necessary to hide them away in safes, chasing future values or profit.

"Drive it like you stole it" applies, or you're just saving it for someone else to enjoy.

This. Today I washed 2 cars, took the top 5ft out of a 20ft Cyprus Tree, then had a mega bonfire. All whilst wearing a 1983 Rail Dial 16550.

They are designed to be worn and enjoyed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    You should probably try on a Panerai before you discount it you may like it. Given what you currently like Seiko and Zodiac these may fit your bill based on case style as that what seems to drive your current taste.

Doxa-Sub-200-T-GRAPH-Stainless-Steel-Limited-Edition-05

01 733 7737 4034-Set LS - Oris Movember Edition

AL-555LNS4H6-RESIZED-720x960-2-720x991

I bought my first Rolex back in early 2000's. I was 30. Then I had a phase of buying Omegas, Breitlings and even Breguet. Rolex (and especially the people wearing them) was annoying me and while I still liked the Sub (that I always kept) it was just too "mundane" and common. I didn't want to be a sheep and I thought it was the most unimaginative thing in the world to buy a Rolex Sub.

Almost 20 years later Rolex Submariner 16610 is my favorite watch and the watch I wear the most. I tried them all but nothing wears just as nicely as the classic Sub. It's just, well... perfect.

Yes, it IS mundane. It IS common. But I don't really care what others think. I have owned 14 Rolex watches but even among them 16610 Sub is the one and only for me. The best watch ever made (for me).

This may help :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I got my Explorer II 16570 before prices started to life off, even for that model.

Wouldn't get another Rolex now. Don't like being played by Rolex marketing dept. who are price positioning Rolex against AP/VC/PP while graciously 'allowing' middle-class peeps to buy their inferior Tudor offerings so I'd never buy a Tudor. I'm unable to detect any difference in quality between the 16570 and other watches in the collection.

Last edited by J J Carter; 6th January 2020 at 22:18.

If you have 20+ what I assume are mostly high end watches then is anything going to change when it is 25 or 30.

I doubt it very much.

Happy is the man who buys one Rolex and loves it to death, wearing it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    This may help :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    love it!

Rolex versus Others - try to make it a non aggressive (anti-Rolex) discussion

This has been a good (sensible) thread, and interesting too...

I have been enjoying watches for around 15 years now, and it was not until last year that I finally bought what I suspect will be my first and last Rolex - a 116660 DSSD on a black Rubber B strap. My rationale is simple... I ‘collect’ 44-45mm tool watches (mostly divers), and as a result there is (helpfully!) only one single Rolex that fits the bill...the DSSD.

I like it - a lot. However, my tastes have also led me to acquire a number of more left field watches that I love every bit as much (Offshore Professional Field Engineer, PRS-2 Dreadnought, Doxa Sub 1500t, Muehle Glashutte See Bataillon...) as well as a number of Breitlings. Rajen’s comments about variety struck a real chord with me.

I like my Rolex enough to have recently rebuffed an offer from a former owner to buy it back, but I don’t think it’s vastly superior to some of my other watches (some of which offer significantly better vfm in my honest opinion.) I am lucky to have been able to afford one, but I wouldn’t pay for a new one and certainly wouldn’t buy one at a premium driven by artificially restricted supply...

Simon

Rolex deepsea vs Seiko Marinemaster

Craftsman
    While I appreciate their quality, the cyclops puts me off most Rolex models.

My "good" mechanical watches are all German... Sinn U2, U1000, 103 and a Stowa 90th Anniversary. What I like about these brands is that they are not high-street names. You would really need to be a watch enthusiast in order to recognise them for what they are.

Oh and another thing.... If you see a person wearing a Rolex, you don't know if they are into watches, or have just gone out and bought one because it is the first expensive luxury brand watch they think of.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    Rolex deepsea vs Seiko Marinemaster
    That Seiko lume is incredible, my phone keeps doing lime as predictive text for lume which is apt also!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app