closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: D. Dornbluth & Sohn

Apprentice

D. Dornbluth & Sohn

I noticed someone post a pic of a Dornbluth (yesterday, I think) and I had a look at the website last night.

As someone who likes A. Lange design but would never be able to justify spending that much on a watch, I’m curious to know what owners (current or past) think of the brand?

Do they represent good value?
    Are they easy to get serviced?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t own one but would definitely snap one up in a jiffy. They have a very good reputation from what I’ve heard.

I’d personally send them back to Dornbluth for servicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This thread might wet your appetite.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Kalbe-gt-gt-gt

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I don’t own one but would definitely snap one up in a jiffy. They have a very good reputation from what I’ve heard.

I’d personally send them back to Dornbluth for servicing.

Thanks Raff, might drop them an email to see how to get one. I think they only make small batches, so it might be quite the wait.

I think they're made to order. I had one (bought from here) and a couple of Lange's so I can understand why you make the comparison. They're a large watch and quite thick. That's ultimately why I sold mine in the end.I find 42mm too big for that kind of watch but if you don't it could be a very good choice. Certainly no complaints over quality or finish.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    This thread might wet your appetite.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Kalbe-gt-gt-gt
    looks like a good trip for the OP on that post

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think they're made to order. I had one (bought from here) and a couple of Lange's so I can understand why you make the comparison. They're a large watch and quite thick. That's ultimately why I sold mine in the end.I find 42mm too big for that kind of watch but if you don't it could be a very good choice. Certainly no complaints over quality or finish.
    I’ve sent them a message via the website, so I’ll see why they come back with. I think 42mm might be too large for my wrists, but I noticed they also have a 38mm with large sub-seconds. That might be the one.

I guess it’s hard to know how it feels without trying one on. I’ve had an omega planet ocean 2201.50.00 (42mm diameter, 14.2mm thick) for almost 10 years; it’s pretty thick and I don’t mind that. Maybe that’s because it’s a tool watch.

I currently have a GS SBGA241 and that’s 41mm diameter and 12.5mm thick. I love that too.

I’ve never had a thin watch, although I do covet JLC master control ultra thin.

The 42mm Dornblüth are 11.5mm thick. The 38.5 mm Dornblüth are 10mm thick. So I’m thinking it might not be such a big watch for me. It’s hard to say.

Does anyone know where I can try one on in central London? The website doesn’t seem to have anything listed for the U.K.

A 42mm PO and a 42 Dornbluth will wear very, very different.

I have never had one but have often toyed with the idea.
    They certainly seem nice enough and most owners here seem to be pretty pleased.
    I am not sure how they do on secondary market if that is a consideration.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    A 42mm PO and a 42 Dornbluth will wear very, very different.
    Yeah, I figured they might. I assume the face of the Dornblüth is much much bigger in comparison

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well respected brand I believe with the only negative I've heard reported was the cost of servicing but hey that's the niche quality aspect

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    I’ve sent them a message via the website, so I’ll see why they come back with. I think 42mm might be too large for my wrists, but I noticed they also have a 38mm with large sub-seconds. That might be the one.

I guess it’s hard to know how it feels without trying one on. I’ve had an omega planet ocean 2201.50.00 (42mm diameter, 14.2mm thick) for almost 10 years; it’s pretty thick and I don’t mind that. Maybe that’s because it’s a tool watch.

I currently have a GS SBGA241 and that’s 41mm diameter and 12.5mm thick. I love that too.

The 42mm Dornblüth are 11.5mm thick. The 38.5 mm Dornblüth are 10mm thick. So I’m thinking it might not be such a big watch for me. It’s hard to say.

Does anyone know where I can try one on in central London? The website doesn’t seem to have anything listed for the U.K.

I work in Moorgate so if you want I'd be happy to arrange a time to meet and you can handle my 99.1 to see what you think of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I went to a GTG once where a guy had several Dornbluths. They were very nice! He always sends them back to the manufacture for servicing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never had one, but Dirk did the assembly of the PRS-2 Dreadnought; I had 2 of those and they were very well regulated, better than any other automatic I have had since.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post

I've been considering buying a Dornbluth but the 42mm case would be too big for my tastes. The 38mm would be right in my sweet spot. However the SS 42mm small seconds model costs about 4000 Euros whereas the 38mm Q-2010 Klassik is more than double that.

Apprentice
    They have a new 40mm size.

For me they do represent good value. I think they are as much classic watch I can get at a price point that I am confortable with.

Jocke posts alot of great pics of his Dornblüths some of them you can find on his site here

I have owned a couple and they do wear big. That have been the reason to me not wearing them much, however earlier this year I was lucky to pick up a 04.0 (small run LE at 38mm) and it is perfect.
    They have had the Q-2010 model but they are more $$. I have not seen prices for the new Medium but since that is the same movement as 99.1 hopefully price should be more inline with the 42mm.

In april I was told a 6 month delivery time for watch and service time 6-8 weeks
    I would send to Kalbe for service, quote on my 04.0 was eur385 +vat.

I bought 99.1 in 2010 and am very pleased with it.

i don’t wear it much, so I’ve not had it serviced yet.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I work in Moorgate so if you want I'd be happy to arrange a time to meet and you can handle my 99.1 to see what you think of it.

Thanks, I’d appreciate that. I’ll send you a private message to arrange

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've been considering buying a Dornbluth but the 42mm case would be too big for my tastes. The 38mm would be right in my sweet spot. However the SS 42mm small seconds model costs about 4000 Euros whereas the 38mm Q-2010 Klassik is more than double that.
    Yeah, I noticed that it was a lot more for the 38mm. I might see how I feel about the 42mm. If that’s too big, I might have to have a rethink

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I went to a GTG once where a guy had several Dornbluths. They were very nice! He always sends them back to the manufacture for servicing.
    Yeah, I think that’s the right think to do. I’m familiar with Omega’s service costs and Dornblüth doesn’t seem excessive

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Ryan, your inbox is full

These look stunning. I’d love one without question.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got a Dornbluth Quintus Klassik incoming!

It’s 38.5mm in diameter with an in-house movement.

It should be here in the next couple of weeks and I might possibly put some pics up if you ask nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    They have a new 40mm size.
    Does anyone have a link for the new 40mm option? I can't find on their website.

I have one, I wear it often but yes it does wear rather large. I think many people buy one as something to keep and hand down and get an engraving on them hence resale doesn’t really matter.

Will try and post up a picture later.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    I just think you write them a mail to order it.

Master
    I would definitely try to see one before buying. The watches photograph very well but, on the one occasion I saw one, I was very underwhelmed. Other than the dial layout, I can’t say it left me with much of an ALS vibe. Sorry to be a damp squib. The brand is a huge forum favourite so maybe I’d set my expectations too high and clearly my view is in the minority.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I would definitely try to see one before buying. The watches photograph very well but, on the one occasion I saw one, I was very underwhelmed. Other than the dial layout, I can’t say it left me with much of an ALS vibe. Sorry to be a damp squib. The brand is a huge forum favourite so maybe I’d set my expectations too high and clearly my view is in the minority.
    I'm considering getting one myself, and it's always nice to hear contrasting opinions.
    Might I ask what about it was underwhelming? The design itself isn't very flashy, so is it compared to other types of watches, or compares to minimal watches like it?

D. Dornbluth & Sohn

I went for the 99.4 and had around a 9 month wait.

The only place I was able to see one in the metal before I ordered was the Amsterdam Watch Company which was an authorised dealer and had some stock available. Not sure if there are more places now or even if the AWC is still stocking them.

Dirk is a real gent to deal with and will answer all your questions and will work with you on design elements or any changes you wish to make.

Also he lets you know when he starts to build your watch and will send you photos of your watch as it gets built. Plus I was lucky enough to be able to visit his workshop to pick up my watch in person and have a little tour of company and its workshops...fabulous. It is well worth doing the trip if you have the time. A flight to Berlin and a hire is pretty cheap especially when compared to the watch!

The watches do wear bigger than their size due to mainly being all face but not as bad as a Panerai 312 I use to own. The build quality is excellent and as good as any well known quality brand and the movement is decorated beautifully.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
    I'm considering getting one myself, and it's always nice to hear contrasting opinions.
    Might I ask what about it was underwhelming? The design itself isn't very flashy, so is it compared to other types of watches, or compares to minimal watches like it?
    I think I was expecting something that, tbh, gave off a greater impression of quality. The dial felt flat and the etching of the sub dials not very substantial. The colour of the dial I saw was grey, which perhaps didn't do it any favours, as I found it quite dull and uninspiring. As for the case, again, I found it OK rather than impressive.

Apprentice
    Donbluth - great timepieces. Almost bought one but another opportunity intervened. Would love to have one at some time.

Not sure there’s much of a secondary market but leaving any financial considerations aside I think one would be a joy to own.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    To be fair Lange prices are about double Dornbluth I have read people try to compare them to Patek! The Dornbluth 99.0 and 99.1 starts at about 3.5k the Lange starts at around 8-10k

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    To be fair Lange prices are about double Dornbluth I have read people try to compare them to Patek! The Dornbluth 99.0 and 99.1 starts at about 3.5k the Lange starts at around 8-10k
    And the rest!

A brand new entry level A. Lange & Söhne is >£13,000 and their cases are all precious metal!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyT View Post
    There are some info on their facebook, incl case measurements. Also found this on another forum:

"Dials come in silver (printed) for €3,800, silver (engraved) for €4,800, black ceramic for €5250."
    Applied numerals are +250€ (incl. VAT)

I'm very intrigued by their newer 38,5mm cases - a good size for me.

I've been reading about their interesting power reserve idea on the Quintus 2010.3: a hidden PR in number 12:

https://www.dornblueth.com/ref.quint...kraftzwoelf-en

Craftsman
    For those that love the look you could check out Tourby watches.
    They use some nicely decorated 6497 and 6498 movements with a similar design aesthetic for around £2k

Quote Originally Posted by vortex89 View Post
    For those that love the look you could check out Tourby watches.
    They use some nicely decorated 6497 and 6498 movements with a similar design aesthetic for around £2k
    I have a Tourby watch it’s very nice and extremely well made for the price point (I would put them above Stowa and I own two). They are regulated in house and have a sort of “menu” where you can choose how decorated you want the watch.

Their customer service is also first class I think the thing which lets them down is their real lack of advertising presence.