closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much is too much for a GS?

Hybrid View

Banned
    Blog Entries

How much is too much for a GS?

An LE of 50, for the US market only, rose gold, US$29.5k before discount. Am I mad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose at a certain price, it stops being a GS and becomes a Credor.

I always admire the Credor Eichi - exquisite and the porcelain dial is to die for.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I always admire the Credor Eichi - exquisite and the porcelain dial is to die for.

A lovely watch doubtless, but a textured dial as opposed to a clean enamel finish, is my current preference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    why have you bought it?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    why have you bought it?
    Not yet. Have been offered one, for delivery early 2020, discount potential too. I have cast my eye at other brands for an alternative, but found nothing which appeals. Only possible option is a pre-owned Lange 1 in platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not yet. Have been offered one, for delivery early 2020, discount potential too. I have cast my eye at other brands for an alternative, but found nothing which appeals. Only possible option is a pre-owned Lange 1 in platinum.
    And Lange 1 all day long! Class on another level.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We wouldn't be questioning thoughts if it was a gold Rolex, and the GS will be made to at least the same standard.

Therefore if the Rolex is worth it, the GS is if you're thinking of inherent and intrinsic value.

We all know it may not have the resale value, but are you thinking about that with a gold watch?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    We wouldn't be questioning thoughts if it was a gold Rolex, and the GS will be made to at least the same standard.

Therefore if the Rolex is worth it, the GS is if you're thinking of inherent and intrinsic value.

We all know it may not have the resale value, but are you thinking about that with a gold watch?

Interestingly, I would be ditching a blue dial, WG GMT 126719 for this piece.

If your considering it then you know the answer. If the GS has the Rolex resale you would have already done it... If it was me and I thought it would stay then I'd do it - knowing is well never be a watch to try and quickly liquidate.

That would be like ditching your G Wagon for the JEEP.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That would be like ditching your G Wagon for the JEEP.
    Point (possibly) taken!

Down to personal choice of course, but that WG GMT is a stunner. I think I would keep it over the GS.

I wouldn't bother. Either go big and get the Eichi II in rose gold or platinum or go regular and just get a lovely stainless steel version.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I wouldn't bother. Either go big and get the Eichi II in rose gold or platinum or go regular and just get a lovely stainless steel version.
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There aren't many Eichi IIs to buy. Eg the US gets literally one or two a year.

Look at the rose gold Eichi 2. A discount can be had from the Seiko Boutique

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not for me. A GS is all about being understated. That dial is just to bling for me and is out of keeping with the watch. Perfect for American market !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To answer your question, yes. Hard to be objective because I really don't like the watch, but I wouldn't pay anything like that for a GS if I did....unless I was certain I'd be keeping it for ever.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the feedback. Here is another, dealer-sourced pic. The dial looks quite subtle.

I'd say around £4k-£5k is close to too much for a GS for my liking - good job I really don't like most of their styling and prefer the cheaper models.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For context purposes, I bought this lovely SS GS a few weeks ago. I adore it. This, and my Duo-face Reverso, get all my wrist time. I have become a leather convert!

I have wanted a RG piece for sometime, and this GS, with it’s beautifully textured dial, really appeals.

Apprentice
    For context purposes, I bought this lovely SS GS a few weeks ago. I adore it. This, and my Duo-face Reverso, get all my wrist time. I have become a leather convert!

I have wanted a RG piece for sometime, and this GS, with it’s beautifully textured dial, really appeals.

What model is this, please?

I’m sure it’s beautifully made etc
    Just couldn’t walk past a Lange & Soehne at that level
    Or a VC for that matter

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    What model is this, please?

SBGY003

Master
    On the gold one, love the case shape, love the brand, and their dials can never be judged by photos. I’d bet in person it’s subtle and elegant, but their watches simply have to be seen and worn to be understood.

On the value, most people demand hundreds of years of history, vast global advertising campaigns, instant recognition, rock solid value retention in the foreseeable future, and the faint smell of old cigars before they will part with that much for a watch. If you’re not one of those people, good for you!

Master

Good pics from HODINKEE shop.

Looks like the case wears quite high on the wrist though, the 60s originals and indeed the quartz wear flatter.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

I'm not a huge fan of gold watches, but this does look pretty! :)

Love the fact that it's effectively a gold dress watch, but it's still got the good ol' Seiko lug holes!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Good pics from HODINKEE shop.

Looks like the case wears quite high on the wrist though, the 60s originals and indeed the quartz wear flatter.
    You may well have a point there. Thank you. One thing that I really cannot stand is watches which sit high on the wrist, due often to their caseback design. I had not noticed it in that first picture before. Focuses the mind as I have to order the watch without actually trying it on.

I guess this is a very nicely finished watch with excellent movement but I prefer your Rolex to this. A personal choice,I guess.

Master
    If nothing else this thread has alerted me to Credor. Fortunately they are so out of reach I will just have to look longingly at pictures of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I guess this is a very nicely finished watch with excellent movement but I prefer your Rolex to this. A personal choice,I guess.
    Are you sure? Why?, it's certainly not better looking, but that name eh?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Are you sure? Why?, it's certainly not better looking, but that name eh?
    Its not better looking *to you*.

I'd keep the GMT as well. The GS does nothing for me and that rehaut looks massive in the hodinkee pic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

The GS does nothing for me and that rehaut looks massive in the hodinkee pic.
    As do the lugs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    As do the lugs
    With respect, I think that saying the lugs on a 44GS case look large may be missing the point! If you're after a more traditional design, you may prefer the SBGW235 and friends. But the 44GS case is a 60s classic, and its unusual shape is part of what makes Grand Seiko who they are.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 26th November 2019 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its not better looking *to you*.

I'd keep the GMT as well. The GS does nothing for me and that rehaut looks massive in the hodinkee pic.
    +1, looks are subjective, so a bit of a ridiculous point by Daddel. Just to be clear, neither do anything for me aesthetically.

OP - if you are looking at a high end GS, you need to get one that has been made by the micro artist studio such as the Eichi II. Probably a price bracket higher though.

To answer OP’s question though for me tops I would spend on a GS is $5000-6000 as the only GS, I have bought or think of buying are their dive watches. I doubt if I would ever buy a GS in precious metal.
    But that is just me.
    I actually like the looks of the watch in question even if it is not as understated as the usual Grand Seikos.
    As for Credor certainly there are people who love them and are obviously very well made but they do nothing for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I have owned several GS, I want to like them, but they are terribly clumsy.
    Often too big, always too thick.
    You're buying the wrong ones! I agree with you on the autos (too thick) and divers (large), auto GMT (huge, for me anyway). The Snowflake wears very well for its 41mm and the quartz are the best proportioned of the lot. 37mm GS quartz are relatively small and thin, hand wound dress watches are also thin. 40mm quartz wear better than 39mm Rolex on a slim wrist.

You may well have a point there. Thank you. One thing that I really cannot stand is watches which sit high on the wrist, due often to their caseback design. I had not noticed it in that first picture before. Focuses the mind as I have to order the watch without actually trying it on.
    Sorry to say, I've made it a rule never to buy a GS without trying it, they can look and wear very differently to how you might imagine. I did once, and while I liked the watch, it wasn't at all what I was expecting. More recently, 'the one' turned out to be a model I'd never considered until I tried it. A thought - you could try the auto version which is probably similar.

How much is too much for a GS?

I’m Mr. ready-to-wear to be honest but I’m hoping for a return to the ‘80s when I used to wear my jacket sleeves rolled up like Don Johnson.

The GSs are beautifully finished by the way.

How much is too much for a GS? Well, as already alluded to, that's very much down to personal circumstances. I doubt Mark Zuckerberg would lose much sleep over paying 20K for a GS, whereas I most certainly would.

The RG jobbie is hideous to my eyes, so personally I wouldn't pay 100 quid for it (assuming I couldn't immediately resell it!), however well made and accurate it is, in fact I much prefer the styling of my 1966 Seiko Skyliner that I bought off here this week. On the other hand, that
    SBGY003 is simply gorgeous, would be more than happy looking down at that on my wrist each day.