closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scuba diving with Rolex Daytona?

Apprentice

Scuba diving with Rolex Daytona?

Can I go scuba diving with the Daytona? approx. 25-30m max recreational dive.

I've read that the pushers compromise the seals; I guess it would be smartest to not use the pushers at all but it would be a bonus to be able to time the dive with the chronograph function.

Any experienced TRFers have been scuba diving with Daytona before? Pics?

I'm looking to consolidate my collection and if this works out I may just get a Daytona and BLNR as my 2 watch core.

Thanks..
    Last edited by Jytcijir; 29th November 2019 at 08:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jytcijir View Post

I've read that the pushers compromise the seals; I guess it would be smartest to not use the pushers at all but it would be a bonus to be able to time the dive with the chronograph function.

I'm looking to consolidate my collection and if this works out I may just get a Daytona and BLNR as my 2 watch core.

Thanks..
    You probably could, but I certainly wouldn't operate the pushers underwater. I guess my main question is why would you? I do actually get the novelty factor of diving with a mechanical watch as I have done it (with a dive computer on my other wrist of course), but that was with a dive watch that is technically made for it. My advice would be don't kid yourself into thinking that a daytona is not actually a 10k piece of jewellery, I wouldn't needlessly risk damaging such a nice watch.

Also this isn't TRF...

Master
    My understanding of Rolex and Tudor chronographs is that you should not use the pushers underwater. That goes for most chronographs. The only one I have had where you can is a Damasko.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Yeah, sure, go diving, press the chrono pushers, take the back off if you like, makes no odds to me

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk clanging such an expensive watch on dive equipment, but it's your watch, knock yourself out

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    My understanding of Rolex and Tudor chronographs is that you should not use the pushers underwater. That goes for most chronographs. The only one I have had where you can is a Damasko.
    Presumably the latest Sinns too (maybe some others with magnetic/other non-directly connected pushers).

Just buy a cheap Citizen or Seiko diver and use the bezel to time the dive.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 25th November 2019 at 11:06.

This thread seems to indicate it’s ok.
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=92436

Master
    Should be sound with crowns securely tightened, but they can become undone if they rub against the back of a neoprene glove etc.

Certainly don't operate the pushers, no.

Personally I would find the chronograph dial too fussy for quick and clear reading when needed. Personally I don't think a Daytona is appropriate for that job. I don't dive but sail competitively; for quick legibility and robust water-resistance would always find a straightforward Submariner / Sea-Dweller best, though a GMT-Master could substitute.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    though a GMT-Master could substitute.

H
    If you pop off for a jaunt around the Isle of Wight and find the need to change timezone, I fear you'll be rather off course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    The fact that you can't use pushers underwater really annoys me for some (no doubt entirely irrational) reason. Why on earth not? You could operate the pushers underwater on a cheap Casio faux divers watch 30 years ago, so the technology required can't be difficult or expensive! And you'd have thought that pushers were more vulnerable to accidental movement underwater than the crown. Why have a screw down crown to prevent accidental movement but have the pushers vulnerable???

If you bang it you are going to feel silly. If you don't care about that... go on... use it for everything. It is capable of taking it.

Buy a Sinn 206 Arktis II. The screw crowns on the pushers are for show only and they can be used underwater.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    This thread seems to indicate it’s ok.
    https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=92436

Like this one, which the OP copied and pasted here...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=525802

Master
    Go for it! Post some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

LOL. Can we copy and paste the answers too ?

Sound sensible, dive in a Daytona and when you have done that you can can use your Seadweller to measure your speed as you whiz along the beach 😂

Master
    Even with the pushers screwed in it's only WR to 100m, so I'd recommend that you didn't just to be safe.

Why on Earth would you want to in the first place? It's not a dive watch and will offer you zero functionality that is relevant to diving.

Grand Master
    Never been scuba diving, but I imagine there's a fair risk of bumping into things with your hands/arms and there's a fair chance a watch will get a few whacks. Apart from the risk of water ingress, is it really sensible to needlessly subject 15+ grands-worth of watch to this exposure?

How does wearing a Daytona, or any other expensive watch, add to the enjoyment of scuba diving?.........genuinely can`t understand this.

Blog Entries
    It has the oyster case so should be fine in water. I don’t think the chronograph functions can be used underwater though.

Take an Omega PO for that or Breitling M1 (or others) which have pushers designed to work under water.

Do check the links to Rolex forum - seems you have asked exact same question!

dont worry - I got flamed for wearing my SD50 on the beach - heresy!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Even with the pushers screwed in it's only WR to 100m, so I'd recommend that you didn't just to be safe.
    'Only' 100m?? What a strange world we live in! It wasn't so long ago that WR100m watches were marketed as the ultimate divers watches!

A friend of mine has been wearing his Daytona for some years now when we've been diving together and AFAIK there's never been a problem. It still looks in good condition too.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

Poor chap, still can’t get get a definitive answer after 2.5 years.

I have no use for a GMT so I would go with the OP but if you travel to other countries the GMT is the way to go.*

*Copied from the Rolex forum as it seems to be 'copy and paste random stuff' day.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I have no use for a GMT so I would go with the OP but if you travel to other countries the GMT is the way to go.*

*Copied from the Rolex forum as it seems to be 'copy and paste random stuff' day.
    If we are copy and pasting from TRF then here is my attempt:

“Is it safe to wear Rolex in *insert random European city*

I have been diving with mine. No issues. It was more about knowing it wasn't at risk of theft on the boat/locker than anything practical.

Use your dive computer for managing your dive profile and surface time. They are far better designed for it.

Cheers

JW

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a 2000 P series Zenith Daytona and I swim wearing it quite regularly when in my shack in Spain.

I have dived off a rock and went down about 8ft (ish) and came back up with the Daytona intact.

You should stop worrying, it is waterproof and a pressure test will confirm if its ok.

Regards
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I see your from Santa Clara, personally I would be more worried about the Vampires than diving with a Daytona

Master
    Get a g shock! Dive with that. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Dive with what you want, who gives a shi*, your watch, your dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I have a 2000 P series Zenith Daytona and I swim wearing it quite regularly when in my shack in Spain.

I have dived off a rock and went down about 8ft (ish) and came back up with the Daytona intact.

You should stop worrying, it is waterproof and a pressure test will confirm if its ok.

Regards

Hahaha. Nice one, chap.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Dive with what you want, who gives a shi*, your watch, your dive.
    And your 'copy and paste'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Too shiny and could attract predatory fish who mistake it for a prey fish. Most dive watches are matte/brushed for a reason.

Also the Daytona is probably the most difficult to read watch above water let alone beneath the surface - taking a sundial down with you would be just as effective.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk