closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the Heuer Monaco

Thoughts on the Heuer Monaco

Keep coming back to this watch. Iconic in its design.

Considering the 2018 Gulf edition or the blue Calibre 11 as a potential future purchase.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tag-h...ands-on-price/

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...caw211p-fc6356

Any thoughts from Monaco owners?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy second hand.

Buy blue.

They wear big IMO due to thickness and case size so try before you buy.

Master
    I love mine, but I can’t believe the current price.... mine was £2800 Brand new from Chronext back in 2016.

As above, they’re a chunkie thing, but they do wear well even on a smaller wrist like mine..

Master
    I was all set to buy one this year. It’s 50, I’m 50 it’s always been one the list’. Tried one on and it just didn’t click.
    I really, really wanted to like it but I couldn’t justify the cost on a maybe.
    I’ll probably revisit it but not new and probably black as they are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love them
    Iconic is right.
    Got my a couple of years ago
    the silver faced 're edition calibre 11
    Try the tag outlets as they sometimes gave them.
    Not the blue but gulfs etc
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Price.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Buy second hand.

Buy blue.

They wear big IMO due to thickness and case size so try before you buy.
    Agree on the above comments. The heritage blue of the CAW211p is in my opinion the way to go, it is a large wearing watch at 39x39 but probably not any larger than the current pumped up Rolex models but does carry a bit of thickness on the case.

Certainly not a nearly £5k watch and if the watch market was anywhere near sensible with pricing, this would probably sit at around the £3-3.5k margin in an AD window but with the current market would not be looking to buy new unless you were getting a substantial discount. If you do buy new at full price, expect to take a minimum £2k hit or more if you trade in or sell at a later date.

The Gulf Monaco does add a nice touch of 70’s funk to the colour design but not convinced it would be a keeper in the watch box once the initial purchase buzz had settled down. The Gulf or the Original blue cannot be bettered and I think that was shown with the release of the Monaco 50th Anniversary range this year, which was just one entire let down on every one of those releases and sellers have the nerve to be asking a premium for them!

Would you not consider an original 1970s model ?

Edit to add a picture of a pretty 1133B transitional.

Last edited by HookedSeven; 25th November 2019 at 04:48.

You can readily buy the Gulf or McQueen version BNIB from an AD for under £4k with discount and at that price it's fine.

I always had an issue with centring the watch properly on the wrist but it is an iconic piece

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    One of the best tags, Iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Keep coming back to this watch. Iconic in its design.

Considering the 2018 Gulf edition or the blue Calibre 11 as a potential future purchase.

https://monochrome-watches.com/tag-h...ands-on-price/

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...caw211p-fc6356

Any thoughts from Monaco owners?

Had a grey dial caliber 11, I just couldn’t read the time on it. Lovely thing to own but does wear big and I much prefer it on a bracelet.
    After wearing an Emg homage for a couple weeks now, if I did it again it would be a used blue calibre 12, much prefer the look of crown and pushers on same side oh and it would have to be on bracelet.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I’m on my 6th one.

I absolutely adore it, don’t wear it enough and end up selling to fund something else then inevitably buy another when I have the money.

I came close to buying a Gulf whilst on holiday earlier this year. Went back to look at it several times, it was marked at a very good price before any possible discount, but ended up buying a Longines instead. I just felt that the 'novelty' value - initial atraction- would wear off after a while. The Longines is certainly more 'wearable' on a daily basis, (and I love the technology inside it), to my mind, though I may very well revisit that decision if I find another at that price, (a shade over 3k). An icon, and a very nice looking one too. The Gulf is my favourite iteration.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Iconic design but to my mind has become a little ubiquitous and diluted... I would really want to do my research on movement qualities; I gather there are significant differences between the variants.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

There seem to be quite a few owners and ex-owners here, but seemingly all of modern re-editions rather than originals. Given the softening of vintage Heuer prices I’m wondering why people would favour a re-edition over an original ? It’s pretty obvious in some cases like the recent Longines heritage skin diver, which probably is a tenth the price of a nice original, but spend some time and you’d likely get a 70s Heuer for not much more than one of the countless re-edition models.

So what’s the attraction of the re-editions ? Build quality ? Perceived durability ? Distinctive LE designs like the Gulf ? Perceived fragility and scarce part availability on the originals ?

I’m following this thread with interest. The Monaco has been a watch I’ve lusted after for years. Before I really even took much notice of watches. I think it’s the motorsport links and the fact it’s a bit different from nearly anything you see on most people’s wrists. I’ve resisted so far primarily due to the size. I have 16cm wrists, on a fat day pushing all the way up to 16.5cm , so when I tried one on in the dealers I struggled a bit to get my head around the extra bulk over most of my wrist-wear. Not so much I could immediately and forever, discount the watch as a future purchase.

I think it’s an itch I’m going to have to scratch at some point. Used not new for sure, looking at the comments here. Must admit I was shocked at the £5k hanging off the one I tried on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I came very close to buying a Monaco a few times, probably would have got a white on black chrono by preference, but then my enthusiasm waned.

I think it is a pretty iconic design and I still like it, but I no longer feel a 'need' to own one.

I'm less keen on the Gulf one, seems a bit gimmicky to me.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    So what’s the attraction of the re-editions ? Build quality ? Perceived durability ? Distinctive LE designs like the Gulf ? Perceived fragility and scarce part availability on the originals ?
    For me the attractions of a re edition is warranty, and price.

On top of that, I’m not confident or knowledgeable enough to buy a straight vintage piece that’s not a bitsa inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    For me the attractions of a re edition is warranty, and price.
    It’s a fair point of view, and probably especially true if it’s going to be a daily wearer. But if it’s one watch in a big collection then as long as you don’t overpay today I’d have though overall cost of ownership is likely to be lower with an original.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    It’s a fair point of view, and probably especially true if it’s going to be a daily wearer. But if it’s one watch in a big collection then as long as you don’t overpay today I’d have though overall cost of ownership is likely to be lower with an original.
    Maybe, but as I stated above I paid £2800 back in 2016, which I could probably get back today....I’m not sure what price vintage pieces were back then, but I suspect it would have been more.

There are a few brand new pieces from UK grey sellers on Chrono 24 for around £3.5k which is Ok compared to RRP..

Yes I'm sure a vintage Monaco would have been more than that in 2016, and I think 2016 vintage prices are probably also higher than todays prices. It's only because prices are down that I figured an original Monaco might be a logical alternative here in 2019.

Having said that, if you're talking grey dealer prices then I think it'd be a stretch to get something nice for a similar amount. A good vintage Monaco would likely start around the RRP of a new one.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

Master
    I have the blue McQueen version from a couple of years ago, got mine as a cancelled order so with a decent discount, I prefer big watches so the size is fine with me but I too fiddled around with strap for ages to get it sitting centre on my wrist, I did in the end reverse the way the strap was fitted to get it better - AD gets on to me about this- trying on the watch doesn’t really help much, an extended couple of day ‘test drive’ really would be better when something is a bit different.

I tried one on the other day when I was picking up my BB58, surprisingly the size don't bother me as much, but I just felt it wasn't very comfortable... Great looking watch tho!

been tempted too for many years - just never seem to find one at the right moment - been following a few on ebay from japan - seem to range from £1600 upwards for normal black ones
    (may be worth getting one to try for size and knowing your'e not going to lose much if anything if you flp it)

I got my Blue Dial Calibre 11 this year as we're both 50. Got it from a grey dealer via Chrono24 at a good price and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a design I've admired for a long time and I don't know why I waited so long, though I suspect the movement(s) were part of the issue and now they've just released an in-house version using the Heuer 02 movement I understand. Style-wise it's basically the Calibre 12 but with the crosshair style seconds that some of the old models had, now at the six.

The Monaco was the first watch I REALLY wanted. I eventually ended up buying one for £1.5k second hand at an AD, and then coincidentally joined a few watch forums. Slightly ashamed to say that an increase in watch snobbery on my part led to the watch being sold because it was 'just a tag'.

I think I fell into the trap of buying the watches other people liked because they were somehow held in greater esteem on watch forums- pathetic, I know! Goes without saying that I now only buy watches that I REALLY want, no matter of their perceived credibility.

Having learned my lesson I now know I'll definitely buy another Monaco... but almost definitely not for the same money!

I have the blue Calibre 11 reissue bought from new around 3 years ago. It’s certainly iconic, different and cool. It is quite a brick even on my 8 inch wrist and sits quite tall and I have found you need a sturdy strap to keep it seated where you want it. The Hirsch performance straps have the rubber underside which I have found best to keep it from tending to move or rotate around the wrist. Plus you can wear it in the summer no problem. The accuracy is pretty good for the Sellita movement but I don’t know why they went for a display case back. The matt blue dial is classy and understated adding more versatility I think than the Gulf versions. I have worn it with a suit and it was okay. A wonderful watch, full of unique character and great for diversity in a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I may need to check out those straps, ta.

I found myself bitten by the Monaco bug a while back. IMHO the modern version bears no comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqz-nc5H...=1g89c2loql6kf

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    I found myself bitten by the Monaco bug a while back. IMHO the modern version bears no comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqz-nc5H...=1g89c2loql6kf

Chronomatic on the far right ?

You win !

Oh that old thing......

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4immkLH...d=y7dzqmz3qzve

At a recent GTG.....

Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Oh that old thing......

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4immkLH...d=y7dzqmz3qzve

At a recent GTG.....

My oh my... have to get a chronomatic to partner up with my tranny.

Lovely watches the Tranny's I am very happy with mine.

I too keep coming back the Monaco, can't decide between the blue calibre 11 or the Omega Speedmaster Pro as my next purchase. Even though my head says no to the now RRP and sellita movement, and the Moonwatch being the moonwatch, theirs something about the Monaco that works so well. Tried it on numerous times and don't think it airs that big, maybe slightly bulky but no more than Panerai.

Wil see what deals can be had next year.

While I'm a big Heuer fan, the Monaco didn't do anything for me.

Not sure what sparked my interest, but I had a lot of help (and education) from Jason which ended up with me buying this:

I just wish I'd liked them a few years back, as I love the size and shape.

I spend a bit of time getting the bits together for a reasonable NSA bracelet with fitting end links (it's not strictly correct, but was a damn site easier to source). I fitted it with the larger flip clasp, I find the small one too fiddly and worry about dropping it while trying to put it on.

Best looking watch Tag make. I prefer the Heuer branded versions. The Gulf versions seems to be discounted more often - but the blue looks incredible to me, and fits very well despite the size being a square shape.

You need a good discount, or buy used, as they lose around 50% of value quite quickly. I’ve bought a couple as presents in the past, and ideally I would own one in a collection.
    It's just a matter of time...

Having initially considered the Gulf edition, I think the blue dial would be a better fit long term.

I am considering a purchase in the new year. I haven’t bought a Tag recently at an AD so have no idea of pricing these days. What kind of discount can be expected on the high street with 0% financing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I much prefer the Gulf version

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The Gulf version is a TAG. This isn’t.

Had one about 10 years ago. Liked it, but it didn’t work for me as a watch I could wear daily. It wears big.