closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Edinburgh hotels

Master

Edinburgh hotels

Looking for suggestions for a hotel in Edinburgh.
    The requests from the wife are reasonably modern and not a Travelodge or premier Inn.
    Ideally 4* or higher.
    After a series of questionable selections from me recently it would be good to get this one right.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Apex Grassmarket will get you brownie points for a spectacular close view of the castle from your balcony

The Balmoral....

Master
    We stayed in the The Scotsman over the Easter weekend earlier this year and we upgraded to a feature suite;

https://scotsmanhotel.co.uk/feature-suite/

which was massive, two double beds and separate WC room, and it was genuinely one of the nicest decorated hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bathrooms were lovely too.

The location was great too being just round the corner from the Royal Mile. We had a great long weekend there, even the weather was fantastic too, and would happily go back there. I don't even recall it being that expensive either as we booked a flight/hotel deal via Expedia. Would definitely recommend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stayed in all the above and they are very good choices, also adding The Glasshouse Hotel into the mix.

Master
    Stayed at the Leonardo Royal Edinburgh Haymarket a couple of times when it was a Premier Inn. It is a decent location (as far as I was concerned) and had a car park.

Blog Entries
    Every time am in Edinburgh for work, I use the Raeburn in the Stocksbridge area. Very convenient, nice breakfast and great beds.
    And not .too expensive for a 4 star.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    We stayed in the The Scotsman over the Easter weekend earlier this year and we upgraded to a feature suite;

https://scotsmanhotel.co.uk/feature-suite/

which was massive, two double beds and separate WC room, and it was genuinely one of the nicest decorated hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bathrooms were lovely too.

The location was great too being just round the corner from the Royal Mile. We had a great long weekend there, even the weather was fantastic too, and would happily go back there. I don't even recall it being that expensive either as we booked a flight/hotel deal via Expedia. Would definitely recommend.
    +1. Stayed there many times and is always good.

Craftsman
    Hotel Motel One was reasonable and well located.

Hotel indigo also good but pricier

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Every time am in Edinburgh for work, I use the Raeburn in the Stocksbridge area. Very convenient, nice breakfast and great beds.
    And not .too expensive for a 4 star.
    Same here, The Raeburn is great, and in a great spot.

Budget dependant (obvs.).

Stayed at the Apex Haymarket - all good for not a lot of money.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If you need car parking, then The Village, Crewe Rd South. Modern. Nice rooms and about a 5 min bus journey to city centre.

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    We won't need parking as we will probably get the sleeper train up and fly back.

Master
    Another vote for Apex. Close enough to be convenient but far enough from Princes Street not to hear the noise. Balmoral is great and everything but probably 400 a night.

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Stayed at the George in George Street, it’s ok and very central to everything

Stayed at the Novotel Centre, just a short walk to the castle and grassmarket area - recommend it

Craftsman
    Had quite a few short breaks in Edinburgh with the missus prior to living there (work has since taken us abroad)

Stayed in Waldorf Astoria last time, was perfectly fine but nothing to write home about.
    Prior to that had a few days in https://www.niracaledonia.com/ which is a smaller boutique type hotel, that was nice!
    Inn on the mile had just finished a refurb when we stayed at one point (good few years back) the rooms were spacious and very nice (and got it at a song) but.. you had to scale about 4 flights of stairs!
    Carlton - spacious very high ceiling room but desperately needed a refurb (*edit - note that its hilton now so no doubt has been refreshed!)

Havn't stayed in the balmoral, but have ate in the restaurant (no1) which is very nice! (costs an arm a leg and a kidney mind)

We're likely to move back to the UK early next year and a trip down memory lane will inevitably be on the cards, i'll probably be going for either the Scotsman or Balmoral, if your looking for something a bit more.. novel, the Witchery by the castle has some 'interesting' rooms, would give the restaurant there a pass though based on personal experience
    Last edited by Mike_B; 25th November 2019 at 16:07.

Blog Entries
    When we had a short break in Edinburgh, to see the Tattoo and a friends daughter in a fringe theatre production, we stayed at the Radisson Blu. Although probably not the best hotel, it was ok for a short stay, and had the advantage of being right on the Royal Mile in the centre.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Stayed here for the Fringe - really really good and I'm very fussy. It was considerably dearer during Fring ebut still worth it. Amazing location, staff and super clean.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Scotland.html

Master
    The Witchery, stayed there a few years ago, excellent but not cheap, if you want to impress the little lady then this will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    The Witchery, stayed there a few years ago, excellent but not cheap, if you want to impress the little lady then this will do the trick.
    I went there for dinner on a Sunday, half the menu was unavailable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    We went for afternoon tea whilst we were there which was good but not cheap. I looked into staying there at Easter and the cost for the room for one night was the same as what I paid for three nights, with breakfast, at the Scotsman and return flights (based on two people sharing)! That being said there were fully booked that weekend the next time I looked.

I know you didn't ask, we had a very nice lunch at the Dome and cocktails at Harvey Nicks overlooking George square, both a very present way of spending time.

Normally stay in the Apex, great location and nothing wrong for the price.
    Staying at Yotel a week on Friday, it has bunk beds for the kids, no other reason 😂😂😂
    Ill report back if any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    Stayed here for the Fringe - really really good and I'm very fussy. It was considerably dearer during Fring ebut still worth it. Amazing location, staff and super clean.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Scotland.html
    I’ve stayed there too, a really nice place. Unusual as it’s a mini-apartment not just a big room (saying that I spent most of the time in my old drinking haunts!)

Master
    Thanks so far, will be sitting down with the wife to book it up at the weekend.
    The witchery was my first suggestion and that was turned down flatly so hopefully more joy with the suggestions on here.