closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omega PloProf re-rlease 2009

Re: Omega PloProf re-rlease 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    The WIS community is probably less that 0.1 percent of the watch buying public. While we sit around and type up reviews and comments on the output of the big companies, they don't care about us as a specific group. Their main target are the "conspicuous consumers.
    But surely it is only the WIS community who will buy such a ghastly looking watch, understanding as we do its heritage and importance? I can't see it having any showroom appeal to the great unwashed.
    It's possible. My interpretation of the changes made to the Ploprof is that they were specifically to make it acceptable to the non-WIS public who are more accepting than ever of huge, chunky dive watches - especially if they've been 'prettified'. The folks who remember Cousteau (I don't think for a minute that Omega won't use that marketing angle to the full extent of it's legal and moral ability - perhaps beyond it), middle-aged men who can drop 7K USD on a watch to make them feel like adventurers, i.e. "conspicuous consumers" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption], an established term for the class of people I'm referring to and not at all an insult.

I predict that in 2009 we'll not only see the new Ploprof sticking uncomfortably out of a business suit sleeve/dress shirt cuff, but we'll also see them on women's wrists shortly after it's launched.

Not that I'm not saying I'm boycotting the re-issue. I suppose that if I wore it on my right wrist, I might actually be able to read the date at a glance. I may very well end up with one. But I am saying I'm disappointed, as I have been with many watches in the modern Omega era :|

Master

Now isn't that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    Looks very interesting - it is so close to the original that it would be difficult to be too critical (unless you didn't like the original :wink: )
    Size will be important - the original, although big, is very wearable -- if this is any bigger that might not be the case.
    I think that it will share the same specs Bob,but look forward to hearing more .

I do believe, that as with other re-issues,the PloProf re-issue will introduce the Original to a whole new audience,and Vintage pieces that are already very expensive,will become even more so :shock:

cheers,
    Vic :)

Quote Originally Posted by W. C. Bartlett
    Now isn't that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford
    Looks very interesting - it is so close to the original that it would be difficult to be too critical (unless you didn't like the original :wink: )
    Size will be important - the original, although big, is very wearable -- if this is any bigger that might not be the case.
    I think that it will share the same specs Bob,but look forward to hearing more .

I do believe, that as with other re-issues,the PloProf re-issue will introduce the Original to a whole new audience,and Vintage pieces that are already very expensive,will become even more so :shock:

cheers,
    Vic :)
    One can but hope Bill - then those that don't like them will have even less reason to buy one :wink: :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    I predict that in 2009 we'll not only see the new Ploprof sticking uncomfortably out of a business suit sleeve/dress shirt cuff, but we'll also see them on women's wrists shortly after it's launched.

Not that I'm not saying I'm boycotting the re-issue. I suppose that if I wore it on my right wrist, I might actually be able to read the date at a glance. I may very well end up with one. But I am saying I'm disappointed, as I have been with many watches in the modern Omega era :|
    I guess your predicament is correct Nalu. I too feel that it would have been nicer with less frill and more subdued features - my grail re-edition PloProf would be made of hardened titanium with sapphire bezel insert and available in both auto and HEQ. I can only hope that they would someday do something like that but I wouldnt bet on that to happen.

Ti would be choice and make excellent sense for such a large tool diver. HEQ makes sense too, unless a monoblock case at which point battery changes become onerous. Not clear yet whether the new Ploprof is a monoblock or not. This is my mockup of what I would like to have seen (same sapphire bezel/cal. 8500/sapphire xtal/adjustable milanese with an improved clasp as the reissue):

or even more traditional:

I didn't bother to take off what seems to be polished bevels on the case (or which may just be the CAD drawer's technique), but a scrubber pad will do that in short order IRL. I do like the raised indices (for legibility), but felt the dial text could be more terse (and traditional) and the date window position improved (although with the radial orientation of the wheel numbers, 6 o'clock is a good position also). Of course, I have to have a dark blue dial! :D

Quote Originally Posted by CPF
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    I suspect the Ploprof reissue had about as much technical/professional input as the Blancpain FF.
    Yeah, but that's a really really nice watch...
    Oh well, in that case, it's alright then :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Ti would be choice and make excellent sense for such a large tool diver. HEQ makes sense too, unless a monoblock case at which point battery changes become onerous. Not clear yet whether the new Ploprof is a monoblock or not. This is my mockup of what I would like to have seen (same sapphire bezel/cal. 8500/sapphire xtal/adjustable milanese with an improved clasp as the reissue):

I didn't bother to take off what seems to be polished bevels on the case (or which may just be the CAD drawer's technique), but a scrubber pad will do that in short order IRL. I do like the raised indices (for legibility), but felt the dial text could be more terse (and traditional) and the date window position improved (although with the radial orientation of the wheel numbers, 6 o'clock is a good position also). Of course, I have to have a dark blue dial! :D
    Now that would have had a better chance of making my wife nervous. :D

Master

that looks very good fingers crossed the date stays at 3 :P

Quote Originally Posted by redmond

Have to admit that it looks seriously good. The date at 3 balances the overall look as the left hand side seems to overweight the rest unless there is something to brake the symmetry (like the date at 3). Now make this in ti and I will find the funding for it!

Master

According to the released pics it's slipped to between 4 & 5. :evil:

Journeyman

Who from Omega has released this data? I am suspicious this is a well made Photoshop mock-up.

DaveB

I do not know the original source, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the information.

But here are the alleged model no's if you want to check it through an Omega AD:

On mesh: 224.30.55.21.01.001 (MRP / CHF 8'000)

On black rubber: 224.32.55.21.01.001 (MRP / CHF 7'800)

On orange rubber: 224.32.55.21.01.002 (MRP / CHF 7'800)

/Stefan

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    On orange rubber: 224.32.55.21.01.002 (MRP / CHF 7'800)
    /Stefan
    Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying this thread and all your responses to this news.

The Ploprof re-edition must have been one of the worst-kept secrets from Bienne in many years, but I'm glad it's finally out there.

Personally, I think the re-edition is quite nice, and in keeping with this season's theme for releasing homages to your old watches because you're run out of ideas and the new stuff ain't selling. . It has gone a little bling, but I think that given Omega's current philosophy and attempts to position itself in the market, anything too much like a pure tool watch (as the original was) would limit its potential sales.

But I just noticed the post from Stefan, with the option of ORANGE RUBBER! :shock:
    I'm tempted to get the orange rubber just to see how it flies on my vintage Ploprof.

As someone who owns an original, I'm not sure if I'd be tempted to crack open the wallet based on these pics alone (I'd love to see one in the flesh first), but I applaud Omega for making the effort to resurrect one of their most iconic watches, and something collectors have been requesting for many years.

Cheers
    Teng

Here's a pic on orange rubber,

Would have preferred something more in line with the Isofrane strap myself but cest la vie.

/Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by ke6507
    Who from Omega has released this data? I am suspicious this is a well made Photoshop mock-up.

DaveB
    My images are Photoshopped, hopefully I made that clear. Upon close review of the images, I agree that they are Photoshopped, but I believe done by Omega.

I know of at least one person who has pre-ordered through an AD, so I'm fairly certain the rumour is true this time!

Grand Master

I`m a fan/collector of Omegas but I think the PloProf is hideous. Omega have made some horrors over the years and this one tops the list for me!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Omega have made some horrors over the years and this one tops the list for me!
    Are you sure?

:lol:

/Stefan

Oh the horrors!

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I'm off. :glasses11:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

Are you sure?

/Stefan
    that is fuc***@ terrible :shock: is it real

... is it real
    Afraid so. Custom job I suppose though.

Got a call from an AD today about the re-ed PP, they said it would available from second half of 2009. :(
    Well, at least plenty of time to save up.

/Stefan

... is it real
    Afraid so. Custom job I suppose though.

Got a call from an AD today about the re-ed PP, they said it would available from second half of 2009. :(
    Well, at least plenty of time to save up.

/Stefan
    I've just had dinner with S.L. Yes. It's real. Oh, the horror :D :D :D

Craftsman

+1 :D

We all know what Swedish dinner means... :shock:

No shame, no shame!

:twisted: :mrgreen:

People who doubt that this came from Omega take note, I dropped into the Omega Boutique in Sydney on Friday last week and they told me they had ordered me one, so if theyre telling me and they showed me the same pics, then Im more than sure its for real.

I cant wait to get one, should go well with my brace of vintage Ploprofs and the LM7 :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    We all know what Swedish dinner means... :shock:

No shame, no shame!

:twisted: :mrgreen:
    :bigsmurf:

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    I cant wait to get one, should go well with my brace of vintage Ploprofs and the LM7 :)
    Forget that DeskDivers rubbish mate - there's your new signature tag right there Jon!

So many Ploprofs (original and homages), so little time. It's a cruel world.

When you free for another catch up?

Cheers
    Teng

can someone sponsor me to buy and wear this watch ????

Quote Originally Posted by thtan
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    Forget that DeskDivers rubbish mate - there's your new signature tag right there Jon!

So many Ploprofs (original and homages), so little time. It's a cruel world.

When you free for another catch up?

Cheers
    Teng
    Hee hee, yeah you could be right... perhaps I should concentrate on wearing watches instead of writing about em as well.. LOL

Cant do it this week, and am away most of next as well (that SIN trip we discussed) but would be good to catch up and hear bout your PP and MC service info, say the week after that? I should have my IWC BP back then as well and can fill you in :)

Apprentice

The new Omega Ploprof relase in 2009

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR
    can someone sponsor me to buy and wear this watch ????
    I'll sponsor you not to :wink: :lol:

Still dont like them :(
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Grand Master

The more I see that, the more I want one! Love the originals, but that gives all the benefits of a modern watch whilst looking like the vintage one & the added plus of no red! Just great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    Still dont like them :(
    We can't all like 'em .. thank god!
    /vince ..

i think i'm going to have to get one!!!

Craftsman

It will take a while for me to save up for one... I sure do hope they arent limited editions

Tried this watch on at the opening of the Vintage Omega shop in the Burlington Arcade and it is stunning.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry
    Tried this watch on at the opening of the Vintage Omega shop in the Burlington Arcade and it is stunning.
    What, this one? Or a real vintage PloProf?

Are you sure?

/Stefan
    that is fuc***@ terrible :shock: is it real
    It is real Omega, no custom work.

This watch was won by the World Famous Davis Love III for scoring an Eagle on the 9th Hole a par 5 with an island green at the Million Dollar Challenge in Sun City!!!!! Incredible watch. One Of One!!!!! HUGE Omega Solid 18kt Seamaster Professional 300m Chronograph watch.
    Reference: http://www.omegablogger.com/archives/118

BTW, it was sold on eBay some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pinjol
    This watch was won by the World Famous Davis Love III for scoring an Eagle on the 9th Hole a par 5 with an island green at the Million Dollar Challenge in Sun City!!!!!
    He scored an eagle and was rewarded with THAT? :shock: That thing is definitely out of bounds.
    It is a feckin cruel world...

/S

Quote Originally Posted by CPF
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry
    What, this one? Or a real vintage PloProf?
    It was the new prototype ploprof on a rubber strap, looked much better in the steel.

Any news regarding this?

Master

Any news regarding this?
    Not heard anything. The Ocean7 LM-7 came out and I'm personally disappointed with the result. The blue dial is just wrong IMO, way too BLUE!! The bezel doesn't look right, either. Was thinking about picking one up but looks like I'd better get saving for the re-release or get a vintage. Nothing that's going to happen anytime soon, though.

Image credit: http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=209781

Any news regarding this?
    i've asked about this a couple of times on recent visits to the Omega Boutique on Old Bond St. All they could tell me was that it would probably see the light of day at Basle 2009 before it's official release at the end of next year. They also said it would be a limited edition in stainless steel but there may well be a rose gold version :?

For my part i can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Any news regarding this?
    They also said it would be a limited edition in stainless steel but there may well be a rose gold version :?

Quote Originally Posted by pinjol

BTW, it was sold on eBay some years ago.
    For god's sake - do not like my wife see this :shock:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

my thoughts exactly. i hope they were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands
    Any news regarding this?
    Not heard anything. The Ocean7 LM-7 came out and I'm personally disappointed with the result. The blue dial is just wrong IMO, way too BLUE!! The bezel doesn't look right, either. Was thinking about picking one up but looks like I'd better get saving for the re-release or get a vintage. Nothing that's going to happen anytime soon, though.

You should go read up on all the drama on the O7 section and in the Dive Watches section, it's mental... Mine should be here next week.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Any news regarding this?

You should go read up on all the drama on the O7 section and in the Dive Watches section, it's mental... Mine should be here next week.
    About the 58 click bezel? Yeah, read it. It's a shame. Did you get the blue or black dial. Haven't see a pic of the black dial yet but have a feeling I'll much prefer it over the blue.

About the 58 click bezel? Yeah, read it. It's a shame. Did you get the blue or black dial. Haven't see a pic of the black dial yet but have a feeling I'll much prefer it over the blue.
    About the 58 click bezel ... I just find it funny and not of any consequence. I have no idea how many clicks any of my watches have, as long as ‘the zero’ lines up.

There are pics of the black one, and yes it looks better than the blue. Strange choice of ‘blue’. I thought it was the same ‘blue’ as the Sinn Arktis and too ‘neon’ for me. The Omega blue is much deeper and subdued.

I would also be interested to see how the Selita performs and looking forward to the PVD version.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

I dont like the original & dont like the updated version. I think it just looks so uncomfortable to wear & ugly. I also wonder who other than a Ploprof fan or WIS would wear it? I think its a bad business decision from Omega if they produce it in large numbers because in all honesty i believe it wont sell to the mainstream.

Sorry for being in some peoples eyes a WIS heathen but just my opinion.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ian99
    I dont like the original & dont like the updated version. I think it just looks so uncomfortable to wear & ugly. I also wonder who other than a Ploprof fan or WIS would wear it? I think its a bad business decision from Omega if they produce it in large numbers because in all honesty i believe it wont sell to the mainstream.

Sorry for being in some peoples eyes a WIS heathen but just my opinion.
    I think it's just going to be a limited edition aimed at WIS and collectors.