closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Core collection and a question

Core collection and a question

For the next year or so I have made myself a promise that I will not be spending on watches, so I have reached what I call my core collection. These 5 watches get 95% of the wrist time between them. It’s a core that I am in general happy with.

But, and with me there is always a but! The idea of consolidation comes to mind, maybe should I move on four to add one? I’ll start by saying that no matter what for personal reasons the OP36 is safe and would no be the last to leave my collection.

I keep doing this yet I never manage to come up with what that one more expensive watch would be. There are watches I like and lust after. A Rolex GMT coke/Pepsi being one. Then there is the AP Royal Oak.

I’m fully aware no one here can answer the question should I shouldn’t I. But, I’d love to hear your ideas, yes or no? And if so what would you put as the perfect partner with the OP36?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you plan on keeping this as a hobby and interest then sticking to two watches is always going to be hard. If there are some watches that you are bored of then sure consolidate! But just beware that you will always lust after another watch if you keep hanging around places like this!

If it were me then I would certainly be happy with the three in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    If you plan on keeping this as a hobby and interest then sticking to two watches is always going to be hard. If there are some watches that you are bored of then sure consolidate! But just beware that you will always lust after another watch if you keep hanging around places like this!

If it were me then I would certainly be happy with the three in the box!
    That’s true and I guess after the year or so of not spending I’d fill up again to 5 more expensive watches. Atm consolidation would be my only way to the next rung up on the collection. I do have other beater watches that aren’t working n the picture which would be there to keep my boredom down!

Grand Master
    Other than an abundance of black dials, I can’t see a lot wrong with that collection, but nothing ‘unusual’ and nothing vintage!

It’s always keeping a war chest available for the time when a watch crops up for sale that you didn’t know you wanted, they come along when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Other than an abundance of black dials, I can’t see a lot wrong with that collection, but nothing ‘unusual’ and nothing vintage!

It’s always keeping a war chest available for the time when a watch crops up for sale that you didn’t know you wanted, they come along when you least expect it.
    Thanks Paul. I like all the watches and they all get wrist time. So on that front I don’t have a want to move any on, just an urge to try something a step up in value.

The vintage side I love. But, I’d want a ‘vintage’ GMT. Or at least early 90s.

Keep thinking and revisiting this idea. One of the ideas is sliming those 5 down to raise the funds for a more special piece. One that I keep coming back to is from the early 90s an AP ref 25548BA

Stunning piece looks wise. Perpetual Calendar 18kt gold. Love it.

Difficult one for sure, I have a 2254 and 14060 like you, letting them go plus others to find one watch has to have no regrets, new watch arrives and your all excited but that dies down, you need to looks at that new watch and fully feel it was all worth it..

Master
    IMHO, personally speaking, it's best just to keep 'em. I've sold, regretted, sold, regretted, wash rinse repeat. My core collection has been with me for the last 3 or 4 years & I keep thinking if I sell, I'll lose more money &, will I be even happier than I once was many, many moons ago. It's a sickness for sure this wristwatch hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    IMHO, personally speaking, it's best just to keep 'em. I've sold, regretted, sold, regretted, wash rinse repeat. My core collection has been with me for the last 3 or 4 years & I keep thinking if I sell, I'll lose more money &, will I be even happier than I once was many, many moons ago. It's a sickness for sure this wristwatch hobby.
    Maybe you are right I know I’m kidding no one myself included in believing that I consolidate to the OP36 and ANother I would stay there. And I guess yes over time the 14060m would be one I’d ha e again... and again I’d try another Pam.. so maybe I do stick and save them in future just add and realise I’m not a flipper

Bit of an update on this.

I’ve looked and thought on this and now I know what I want to get hit not how to get it.

I’m sure my next watch will be an early to mid 2000s Rolex GMT with certainly the Sub leaving me.

So how to get there and what to move on.. I challenged myself to look at each watch in the core collection and wear it for a week solid and see how I felt. Here’s my thoughts

Week on the wrist no problem loved it. Never took it off except on the mat working and bed. For me a great near perfect all rounder but in my head lacks colour. Thoroughly enjoyed the week.

OP36
    Tough week for this one. Wore it all week no issues was with me for all host of jobs complete with risk of dings and all never thought about it and loved it. Knowing the sentimental value of this watch makes me wear it and enjoy it! Sounds strange! But knowing I’d never consider selling it makes it mine and I’m less fussy about it.

Easy week. Changed strap a couple of times never bothered to remove it except when I needed to for work. Enjoyed wearing it. Comfortable and clear for me a bonus. Certainly not conscious of wearing it.

Aerospace
    What a dilemma. Started off as a certain to be moved on. And wear wise still is. For me as a wearer it’s a purely useful holiday watch. I love it for that and a good grab and go. But. Was not a watch I had in mind as a keeper. Then the problem. In the week on the wrist my youngest lad 2 years old has took a shine to it. He will sit for ages and play with the bezel and then press the crown to hear the beeps as he calls it. Now if he’s upset or tired he come over and tries to play with my watch if I ain’t got it on he pushes my watch away asking for the beepy watch! So for me that’s a huge draw for that one! Sentimental value...

Pam562

I love this watch but it just seems a touch big. I love the versatility for straps yet was the hardest to wear all week. I can’t get a strap that sits it perfectly on my wrist. I’m always between holes on the straps. And just spend all my time moving it up my wrist. Yet I look at it and love it...

So I guess I’m no closer except knowing I’ve got 5 watches I love for different reasons. And one I am chasing!

Craftsman
    Good test. The next one is to lend a watch to your friend for what turns out to be a couple of months and then sell it to him when you realise you don’t miss it!

I’m fussy on size, so your Pam562 description jumps out to me like a red flag.

But then upgrading your sub to a gmt if you miss the bit of colour is a sound idea. My 16710 would be the last to go, it’s a perfect watch to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app