closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Friday prices?

Craftsman

Black Friday prices?

My wife lost her Bose Quiet Comfort 20 headphones a couple of weeks ago and decided to wait until the Black Friday sales to replace them. Looking at camelcamelcamel they dropped to £129 last BF.

They were £169 on Amazon for the last couple of weeks. The day the Amazon BF sale started they jumped to £189 and are £223 as of today!

Is this common practice or are Amazon just hiking the price so they can show a massive drop in price when/if they reduce the price?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Is this common practice or are Amazon just hiking the price so they can show a massive drop in price when/if they reduce the price?
    There is no 'or' about it! Both are true. It's rife, and Amazon do it a lot throughout the year.

Thankfully as you've noted, Camelcamelcamel is great for showing things like this up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You've done the right thing and done your research. If they drop to £129 or around about a then you know it's a decent deal. Common sense tells you there going to try and get as much out of you as possible and will play with the numbers to do that. They know everyone is saving there money and ready to spend on black Friday.

Classic pre sales tactic, sadly. The old pump n dump.

Amazon take the p!$$ with their pricing. I bought a pair of work pants a few weeks back, around 30 quid. Great fit, loads of pockets, just the job. I figured I'll buy another identical pair for the bottom drawer......they'd gone up to 57 quid in 48hrs. They weren't a special offer in the first place.
    Needless to say, I passed. They will come back down again I'm sure.

There have been many comments on HotUKDeals that, on both eBay and Amazon, many sellers increase their prices just before the various site-wide discount events (e.g. "10% off everything") start.

It used to be that the sales were held after Christmas, and involved discounts on the items/sizes/colours that hadn't sold and that the shops wanted to clear their stocks of. If you were lucky/an odd size/had unusual tastes, you could get some real bargains. Nowadays, with manufactured events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and the proliferation of "outlet" stores (where the vast majority of the items are manufactured specifically for those stores), I'm increasingly cynical about there being any genuine deals out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Amazon take the p!$$ with their pricing. I bought a pair of work pants a few weeks back ... They will come back down again I'm sure.

Get some braces! Boom boom!!

Amazon prices (and no doubt those of other online retailers) are obviously determined by complex algorithms and any claim of a bargain is always to be viewed with deep suspicion. You can see Amazon price history using the camelcamelcamel site.

Master
    Tbh - if you want a thing you should generally know the price. If you are just buying something cos it seems cheap on Black Friday you are being a bit of a mug.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Tbh - if you want a thing you should generally know the price. If you are just buying something cos it seems cheap on Black Friday you are being a bit of a mug.
    Harsh but fair!

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I suspect most people do the research?

I never buy a 'good deal' without checking if it is.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I actually picked up some bose qc20’s on amazon prime day.

They were 119 from around 229 but before that they were/are regularly in the 149 region.

I suspect on Black Friday or leading upto they will be on deal of the day and further reduced.

Generally speaking I’ve noticed a lot of products were cheaper in the months leading upto Black Friday.

Craftsman
    Just check Amazon prices on camelcamelcamel to see if it's a true deal or not

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Said on the news yesterday that 80% of the stuff on Black Friday deals can be bought for that price all year round

I’d understand it all if we were a country that celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday. But we’re not!

I bought a new cooker a few weeks ago from John Lewis. It hasn't been delivered yet, so I checked the Black Friday deals.
    The price has dropped £96. However, the £125 voucher offer that we were given for our next JLP purchase has disappeared.

Net result; the Black Friday deal is £29 dearer than what we paid three weeks ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1981 View Post
    Just check Amazon prices on camelcamelcamel to see if it's a true deal or not

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Always use that site as you know what the cheapest price they have sold anything for.

PriceRunner is similar to camel3, but not specific to Amazon. It shows them at £169 in Currys, although they are listed as QC20i. Don't know what difference the 'i' makes, if any. Currys also have QC20 separately listed at £249, so who knows?

QC20 at PriceRunner

£169 at Currys

£239 at Currys

Master
    I wonder of the issue is the tat retailers sell really has almost no value. Anything they sell for is still a profit. In the past January sales were to sell stock that had a value, now it cost so little to produce they can sell it for anything.

The QC35 are epic just in case you're tempted to upgrade.