closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Boot Sunday

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Car Boot Sunday

A short relief from the rain this morning, and it was good to get out. I arrived at the car boot sale late but still found a few bits.
    I particularly like the Raymond Weil, and it started working with only a fresh battery. As did the Avia. The 50s Cinderella watch is becoming rare now. The Zodiac needs the glass polishing, and has a top grade ETA 2412 mechanical movement.
    The fake Rolex is amusing and actually has a screw back.
    Finally the working Toshiba tuner looks very pretty and cost me a heartbreaking £2.50 ! Shame it won't pick up Radio 4 extra as that is my favourite channel but is only on digital receivers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It’s impressive how authentic those counterfeit Rolex look nowadays..........

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    It’s impressive how authentic those counterfeit Rolex look nowadays..........
    It is shocking I agree.
    It will look a lot better after the case has been in the ultrasonic. Those real fake diamonds should sparkle !

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Raymond Weil is very nice

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    It is shocking I agree.
    It will look a lot better after the case has been in the ultrasonic. Those real fake diamonds should sparkle !

Why waste any time or money on it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Why waste any time or money on it?
    Why not ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    The Raymond Weil is very nice
    Yes. It's a lovely gents dress watch. I'm wearing it now !
    Meanwhile the Rolex case has cleaned up a bit but is missing 4 diamonds. Lucky I have a box from ebay !

Why not ?

Because it's a hideous,cheap,tacky fake.

Banned
    Because it's a hideous,cheap,tacky fake.
    Which ? You or the watch ?
    It's neither your time nor your money being 'wasted'.

Which ? You or the watch ?
    It's neither your time nor your money being 'wasted'.

So,just out of interest,what are you going to do with the 'Rolex' once you have tarted it up?

(ps...did you notice how I've managed to post without any personal insults? You should try it.)

Banned
    Fake Rolex now looking a lot better.
    Well worth a pound.

Banned
    So,just out of interest,what are you going to do with the 'Rolex' once you have tarted it up?

(ps...did you notice how I've managed to post without any personal insults? You should try it.)
    This was intended to be a light hearted post about the stuff I find at car boot sales. I would say that your comments about how I spend my time or money come pretty close to a personal insult and are none of your business. Fine, you don't like the watch. There have been many posts about fake Rolex on this forum. Go and have a swipe at them.

Well, I enjoyed the post. But I viewed it as a light-hearted post Sunday lunch read, which I guess most others would too. Perhaps you should put the 'Rolex' in the 'Show your Rolex' thread, bound to cause a stink there, would be quite amusing to read some of the responses...

Blog Entries
    Enjoyed the post about the car boot finds, some nice old things and Sunday entertainment.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsdad View Post
    Well, I enjoyed the post. But I viewed it as a light-hearted post Sunday lunch read, which I guess most others would too. Perhaps you should put the 'Rolex' in the 'Show your Rolex' thread, bound to cause a stink there, would be quite amusing to read some of the responses...
    Haha, is that the hairy forearm page ?

I think one sharks jaws is enough for the time being thanks.

I'm glad you enjoyed this post. I can't resist buying at car boot sales. Occasionally something really good turns up. The Raymond Weil is very nice and the tuner works clearly even without an FM aerial.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Enjoyed the post about the car boot finds, some nice old things and Sunday entertainment.
    Thanks OOK. I think the most amusing thing I found this year is the radio controlled talking watch. It announces each hour with a voice that seems to come from nowhere and has convinced my pals that I have a divine mentor.

Some nice finds this year Brendan , Is that the last sale today ,down your way ?

My local booty had its last sale today for this year , roll on March when the season starts again. I found nothing today it has been slim pickings for the last few weeks.

Banned
    There will be a few more sales around here weather permitting. Next one at Newton Abbot racecourse is December 15th. A few in Exeter too. Hardy bunch of old outdoor types here !
    Let's hope for that elusive ultimate bargain.

This was intended to be a light hearted post about the stuff I find at car boot sales. I would say that your comments about how I spend my time or money come pretty close to a personal insult and are none of your business. Fine, you don't like the watch. There have been many posts about fake Rolex on this forum. Go and have a swipe at them.

Course it was Brendan, course it was.
    So what are you going to do with the £1 Rolex? Wear it? Sell it? Chuck it in a bin?

Banned
    Raymond Weil. Hairy wrist photo:
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 24th November 2019 at 19:55.

Brendan, it would seem I'm not alone in being somewhat surprised that you would buy a fake watch and moreover that you would see fit to take time to do anything to it. I think there are plenty of genuine watches amongst your finds that would of much more interest to you, given your watch-making abilities.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Course it was Brendan, course it was.
    So what are you going to do with the £1 Rolex? Wear it? Sell it? Chuck it in a bin?
    Why does it matter so much to you? You seem to have had a bee in your bonnet about it since the thread started.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Brendan, it would seem I'm not alone in being somewhat surprised that you would buy a fake watch and moreover that you would see fit to take time to do anything to it. I think there are plenty of genuine watches amongst your finds that would of much more interest to you, given your watch-making abilities.

R
    Perhaps it's such an obvious fake, that restoring it provides some amusement and a diversion from the serious business of watchmaking? It's hardly ever going to enter the market being passed off as genuine, is it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R

Raymond Weil. Hairy wrist photo:
    Some nice finds especially the hooky Rolex, if you put it in your pressure tester and pushed it to destruction would it implode or a seal just fail?

I'm sure all of our wrists could look like that in the right light but this picture does remind me of a dead creature washed up on a beach!

Banned
    Perhaps it's such an obvious fake, that restoring it provides some amusement and a diversion from the serious business of watchmaking? It's hardly ever going to enter the market being passed off as genuine, is it?
    I'm chuffed to bits OOK, as I managed to get all of today's car boot finds working. The Cinderella watch can go for up to £50.00 on ebay because the case and glass are useful for earlier models such as the Hopalong Cassidy watch. The Zodiac will make about £35.00. The Avia has a now obsolete ETA quartz movement which will come in handy sooner or later. The Raymond Weil is gorgeous and I'm wearing it now. The Toshiba tuner is the best I've found this year and it's my fourth. The tuning light goes off when the station is perfectly tuned. A very nice surprise.
    That leaves the Rolex. I would love to donate it to the Rolex museum but there isn't one yet. I wonder why ?
    Perhaps: '1976 we started having parts made much more cheaply in the Far East and increased our profits dramatically. We won't tell you by how much because we are a Swiss based registered charity and don't have to'. (My fake Rolex quote).
    To me car boot finds are a welcome relief from the complicated watches I repair on weekdays. I love mending things and whether it's a watch or a lock or a drive belt or something else, I will carry this obsession until my days end ! I play guitar to keep my fingers nimble, I fly and shoot for coordination, and I am generally happy go lucky with my life and profession. I don't need to be told what to buy and what not to buy. It's my money and my time.
    Here endeth the rant.

Why does it matter so much to you? You seem to have had a bee in your bonnet about it since the thread started.
    Well ook.....watchmaker shows off cheap fake Rolex on watch forum. I think it's reasonable to discuss it although I see Brendan is reacting in his usual style.
    Anyway,it's got nothing to do with you so why stick your oar in?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Some nice finds especially the hooky Rolex, if you put it in your pressure tester and pushed it to destruction would it implode or a seal just fail?

I'm sure all of our wrists could look like that in the right light but this picture does remind me of a dead creature washed up on a beach!
    Haha. Thanks for making me blow my coffee across the room. I'm still laughing now, but probably will be a dead creature washed up on a beach someday.... The Rolex believe it or not has a proper screw back and screw down crown. I haven't tested it yet but I reckon it will be water proof. Now I've got to mop the table. Oh man. Good night !

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 25th November 2019 at 00:50.

Banned
    Well ook.....watchmaker shows off cheap fake Rolex on watch forum. I think it's reasonable to discuss it although I see Brendan is reacting in his usual style.
    'Shows off' 'cheap fake' 'usual style'...This is a public forum and I welcome all replies, even from the odd village idiot.

Blog Entries
    I like Brendan. I like his style too. He's not a person who has sly digs at people. He tells it like it is, which doesn't sit well with some flowers. And you weren't 'discussing it' you were trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. No doubt encouraged by posts in the Draft Thread and others gathering by now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Glad someone's got a sense of humour!!

I like Brendan. I like his style too. He's not a person who has sly digs at people. He tells it like it is, which doesn't sit well with some flowers. And you weren't 'discussing it' you were trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. No doubt encouraged by posts in the Draft Thread and others gathering by now.
    Considering the amount of time you have spent in the DT I would've thought you might have noticed that the comments therein came later.

'Shows off' 'cheap fake' 'usual style'...This is a public forum and I welcome all replies, even from the odd village idiot.

Glad to hear it.

Banned
    Considering the amount of time you have spent in the DT I would've thought you might have noticed that the comments therein came later.

Glad to hear it.
    Isn't it time you got back into your tomb. It will be light soon. Haha.

Isn't it time you got back into your tomb. It will be light soon. Haha.
    ....I welcome all replies, even from the odd village idiot.

He's not a person who has sly digs at people.
    Does he know that?

Banned
    Does he know that?
    Oh man ! I give up ! You can have the Rolex for fifty quid. OK ?

Blog Entries
    Does he know that?
    Looks pretty up front to me.

Anyway you achieved what you wanted to which was to have a dig at Brendan, which will no doubt be popular among a certain audience.

Banned
    Looks pretty up front to me.

Anyway you achieved what you wanted to which was to have a dig at Brendan, which will no doubt be popular among a certain audience.
    It really saddens me that the old buzzard has no sense of humour. Doesn't he realise laughter is the best medicine and trying to turn a light hearted post into a personal vendetta just shows his inability to contribute anything of real value to the forum ?
    Manual skills are in fast decline. When my engineer and dial or case restorer retire in a few years time there will be nobody to replace them. We will all struggle then to get any kind of repairs done economically.

Master
    Good thread. I particularly like the fake Rolex. I find them more interesting than the real ones. Something a little different and exclusive. Maybe we should start a thread, "Show us ya fake Rolex", with reviews etc. Are there any collectors on here?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Good thread. I particularly like the fake Rolex. I find them more interesting than the real ones. Something a little different and exclusive. Maybe we should start a thread, "Show us ya fake Rolex", with reviews etc. Are there any collectors on here?
    Me for one !! It has been spot on since I set it last night. As for fakes in general, Omega museum bought a few from me that were made in the 70s. With Helvetia Swiss movements. Omega don't seem to be much copied these days. At least I haven't seen any recently.
    Here's the piece of bling:

Oh man ! I give up ! You can have the Rolex for fifty quid. OK ?

LOL - Are you keeping the warranty card for 12 months?
    Im shocked at how a "fun" and interesting initial thread has turned into what it has.

Great to see old watches - good, bad or ugly being reused - it's a hobby for some - and the OP is correct in his "what's it to you" reply IMO.

Enjoy the post for what it is - My nephew bought a "box of odds" at a recent auction for £1 and there were 2 accurist watches - mocked initially by one or two people sat close by - "they're broken - theyre rubbish" - 2 £1 batteries later - both running well. He sold one for £15, he likes the other one so wears it.

Where is the harm? So it's a fake? So what?

Blog Entries
    It really saddens me that the old buzzard has no sense of humour. Doesn't he realise laughter is the best medicine and trying to turn a light hearted post into a personal vendetta just shows his inability to contribute anything of real value to the forum ?
    Manual skills are in fast decline. When my engineer and dial or case restorer retire in a few years time there will be nobody to replace them. We will all struggle then to get any kind of repairs done economically.

Sadly I think you’re right, not many people these days seem to want to spend the time acquiring skills of that nature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    LOL - Are you keeping the warranty card for 12 months?
    Im shocked at how a "fun" and interesting initial thread has turned into what it has.

Great to see old watches - good, bad or ugly being reused - it's a hobby for some - and the OP is correct in his "what's it to you" reply IMO.

Enjoy the post for what it is - My nephew bought a "box of odds" at a recent auction for £1 and there were 2 accurist watches - mocked initially by one or two people sat close by - "they're broken - theyre rubbish" - 2 £1 batteries later - both running well. He sold one for £15, he likes the other one so wears it.

Where is the harm? So it's a fake? So what?
    Totally true. I make a fair bit from my car boot finds but not with every buy. A few weeks ago I bought an old Grundig reel to reel tape recorder. I spent two hours replacing the broken drive belt. Mentioning it to a friend she told me she had a tape recording of her 1971 marriage, her husband now deceased. I lent the machine to her and she was able to hear her wedding recording for the first time in over 38 years. To me, that made my purchase and repair more valuable than any financial profit.

Master

Maybe its not his fault. Maybe he is mentally ill.

Banned
    Oh no !

As for fakes in general, Omega museum bought a few from me that were made in the 70s. With Helvetia Swiss movements.
    Now that is interesting :). Were they Helvetia branded ETA movements, which they started using in the late ‘60s, or in house movements?

Either way they were returning home in a sense given that Omega and Helvetia were originally started by the same man as I’m sure you know Brendan.

I always enjoy hearing about your repair projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Maybe its not his fault. Maybe he is mentally ill.
    Whoa!!! Uncalled-for and really inappropriate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Whoa!!! Uncalled-for and really inappropriate.
    Sadly yes. Perhaps though, maybe said in the heat of the moment.
    This post was meant to be a little Sunday frivolity. Nothing more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Now that is interesting :). Were they Helvetia branded ETA movements, which they started using in the late ‘60s, or in house movements?

Either way they were returning home in a sense given that Omega and Helvetia were originally started by the same man as I’m sure you know Brendan.

I always enjoy hearing about your repair projects.
    Yes. Helvetia in house movements. The dials were terrible as the Omega sign was larger than life. Some even said 17 jewels at the 6 mark.

That must have given you great satisfaction Brendan, what a lovely story.

I enjoy seeing your Boot Fair Find posts and this one is no different. It amazes me how what you do with your time and money is remotely the concern of anyone else.

Totally true. I make a fair bit from my car boot finds but not with every buy. A few weeks ago I bought an old Grundig reel to reel tape recorder. I spent two hours replacing the broken drive belt. Mentioning it to a friend she told me she had a tape recording of her 1971 marriage, her husband now deceased. I lent the machine to her and she was able to hear her wedding recording for the first time in over 38 years. To me, that made my purchase and repair more valuable than any financial profit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That must have given you great satisfaction Brendan, what a lovely story.

I enjoy seeing your Boot Fair Find posts and this one is no different. It amazes me how what you do with your time and money is remotely the concern of anyone else.
    Thank you T,
    What has become a nice epilogue to the story is that my friend has just bought herself a Toyota Hybrid and we shall be going for lunch at The Bishops Palace in Wells next week. And I will be very interested to see the car's performance.