closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Tesla truck....

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Crash protection/crumple zones seem to have been ignored. I wouldn’t like to be in that truck if it was in a collision; even worse to be hit by it.
    Surely they won’t be able to sell it if it doesn’t meet safety standards? This can’t be true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we're all thinking of the planet and the best use of our diminishing resources, trying to reduce needless/mindless consumption, promoting and embracing cleaner energy and less intensive energy use, why buy/or produce a honking great, heavy steel pick up truck, even if it is leccy powered to get from A to B...doesn't seem especially eco conscious or friendly.
    Isn't the big ass truck thing, EV or IC very much a part of the problem/mindset that's a factor in getting the race to the point we're at, after all.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th November 2019 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    If we're all thinking of the planet and the best use of our diminishing resources, trying to reduce needless/mindless consumption, promoting and embracing cleaner energy and less intensive energy use, why buy/or produce a honking great, heavy steel pick up truck, even if it is leccy powered to get from A to B...doesn't seem especially eco conscious or friendly.
    Isn't the big ass truck thing, EV or IC very much a part of the problem/mindset that's a factor in getting the race to the point we're at, after all.
    No.

Americans buy pickup trucks. Just like they own guns.
    You may believe it’s a shame as both are responsible for heartache and damage to the planet but you’re not going to change this overnight.
    So if you can replace part of the ICE pickups on the road by EV pickups, you’ll be on the right track.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The USA market consumes 6500 new pick-ups per day, every day.

The safety regs' in most States would let this sell from the get-go.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

But won't they have to design the production model for the strictest state not the laxest?

I'm quite surprised that it would be legal anywhere in the US, maybe I'm out of date but isn't it the country of auto seat belts and chimes? how are they strict on stuff like that but lax on a shape that could cut you in half?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    how are they strict on stuff like that but lax on a shape that could cut you in half?
    How could something this shape cut you in half?

It would just crush you, so all good.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Surely they won’t be able to sell it if it doesn’t meet safety standards? This can’t be true

Biggest chance of getting killed (by it) is the heavy foot on the accelerator pedal. It's way too fast for an ordinary driver (e.g.: me). When you buy a Porsche or Ferrari, the sales rep will advise you, or offers you to take an Advanced Drivers Course or similar to learn to handle the power. I can't see Tesla offering thousands of courses like that to new drivers.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No.

Americans buy pickup trucks. Just like they own guns.
    You may believe it’s a shame as both are responsible for heartache and damage to the planet but you’re not going to change this overnight.
    So if you can replace part of the ICE pickups on the road by EV pickups, you’ll be on the right track.
    Well clearly it's a shame with tragic consequences, self evident, there's belief then there's facts.

I 'believe' though there's a whole lot of kidology going on here with this vehicles credentials, the silly USP claims but most of all with the notion enough average Joe's will voluntarily handover their ic pickups for one of these and that there's the time left to mount this kind of small scale incremental campaign of consumer behaviour modification when the rainforests/California/Aus are already burning and China, India and others are still charging ahead along exactly the same path the 'developed' world has taken.

Heck where my inlaws live in a burb outside Philly most folks have 3 or 4 or more car garages housing several cars. Homes are I'd estimate typically 5000/ 6000sq ft properties, many are larger and they come with staggering heating/cooling needs... It's the patriotic and American way to consume and go large, it's how to show others you've made it and the facts tend to back up the point that the majority would rather fake it until they make it through the use of credit fuelled spending and consumption, most don't make it. That would be a far more effective lever to pull for consumer behaviour modification, not trying to put more big trucks on the road whether EV or not. Moreover one in the hands of elected Governments.
    I can't believe musk flogging a few of these is going to make a significant/ any difference in the remaining time.
    If anyone wants to buy one whether to enjoy their Blade runner or eco road warrior fantasy, good luck to them, have fun but don't kid yourself or others it represents more than it is, a drop in an ocean.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th November 2019 at 10:30.

As per Chris’ post, 6500 new pickups per day. So if it does make a dent on this very large number of big ICE units, it’s a step in the right direction. And Yes China, yes India... And recycling those at the end of their life will not be great either. But it’s one small step towards a temporary solution. Alternatively, the world can sit and wait. I personally prefer when people pull their finger out and come up with answers.

As per Chris’ post, 6500 new pickups per day. So if it does make a dent on this very large number of big ICE units, it’s a step in the right direction. And Yes China, yes India... And recycling those at the end of their life will not be great either. But it’s one small step towards a temporary solution. Alternatively, the world can sit and wait. I personally prefer when people pull their finger out and come up with answers.
    See point about Governments acting via interest rates to reverse debt/near zero rate fuelled consumption thus slowing the burn rate of irreplaceable resources. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th November 2019 at 10:57.

Governments? Oh that’s fine then, we’re all in good hands, no need to worry.

Governments? Oh that’s fine then, we’re all in good hands, no need to worry.
    aye sad/desperate as it is, they have the kind of 'reach'/ 'means' to work on the required scale, explains doesn't it the focus of Gretas crusade...

I'm liking it more and more - very bold, very different, and will sell by the million.

Anyone got any shots of the interior?
    So clever my foot fell off.

I am not disagreeing (even if in this case we’re talking about Trump’s government) but it will only come when more and more entrepreneurs find their public and their customers (= voters) become too many to ignore.

Tesla aside, here in the U.K. I’ve never had any interest in owning a pick-up at all. Zero. I’m not in the building trade, and if I used it for shopping and drove through a built up area my bags would get stolen at the lights. What on earth is the attraction? Or do you need a gun to stop the thieves? Very odd. Another gap between the U.K. and the US!

Tesla aside, here in the U.K. I’ve never had any interest in owning a pick-up at all. Zero. I’m not in the building trade, and if I used it for shopping and drove through a built up area my bags would get stolen at the lights. What on earth is the attraction? Or do you need a gun to stop the thieves? Very odd. Another gap between the U.K. and the US!

Quite they make no sense in the UK and only slightly more in the USA. It's a US marketing trope, selling a combination of nostalgia for life on the open prairies and rugged individualism and macho tough. Works off feeding exactly the sort've nonsense/self delusion that we as a species must grow out of if we are to maximise our chances of surviving a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I'm liking it more and more - very bold, very different, and will sell by the million.

Anyone got any shots of the interior?
    I expect that the interior looks as though it was "designed" by a five year old who had eaten too many blue Smarties as well.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I expect that the interior looks as though it was "designed" by a five year old who had eaten too many blue Smarties as well.
    You could say that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It would just crush you, so all good.
    So no different or worse than something like this that is already available then

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You could say that.
    Brutal minimalism - very bauhaus!

I still like it!

Blog Entries
    Today: according to Musk's twitter: 250K orders and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    An order is a refundable deposit of 100 Dollars. Laughable.

But to be fair, the Model 3 isn't exactly tanking...

But to be fair, the Model 3 isn't exactly tanking...
    Not that difficult to build an attractive car if your investors let you produce it with a negative margin.... All the competitors have to make money.

The Aussie’s love a Ute too. They like them a bit sportier though. They’ve never taken off over here though. Maybe because they’re long and not easy to parallel park on a tight street.

I’ve mixed feelings about this Tesla, I’m glad they’ve not just pushed out another bland SUV but this design doesn’t quite hit the spot. Next one could be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Do you think Elon Musk knows Bill Yao?
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The Aussie’s love a Ute too. They like them a bit sportier though. They’ve never taken off over here though. Maybe because they’re long and not easy to parallel park on a tight street.

I’ve mixed feelings about this Tesla, I’m glad they’ve not just pushed out another bland SUV but this design doesn’t quite hit the spot. Next one could be good though.
    And having just driven back through rural Norfolk in the pouring rain (in my boring conventional car with a roof over the luggage area as opposed to a hole) I’ve also avoided soggy shopping - not of much concern to the rugged American guy in the dry heat of Arizona with a load of bullets, shotgun shells, weak lager and ‘preppers’ gear in the back - but my Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh, copy of The Times, old flat cap and 2015 copy of the AA road map would have been floating in 6 inches of muddy water and leaves!

Master
    And having just driven back through rural Norfolk in the pouring rain (in my boring conventional car with a roof over the luggage area as opposed to a hole) I’ve also avoided soggy shopping - not of much concern to the rugged American guy in the dry heat of Arizona with a load of bullets, shotgun shells, weak lager and ‘preppers’ gear in the back - but my Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh, copy of The Times, old flat cap and 2015 copy of the AA road map would have been floating in 6 inches of muddy water and leaves!

You can get pick ups with retractable waterproof covers.

Not a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You can get pick ups with retractable waterproof covers.
    I’m sure you can, just don’t see the point of owning a pick-up unless you’re in the building profession - surely there aren’t that many builders in the US?

Master
    Oh well lots of negativity here. I’m having one anyway. I’ve put my tiny deposit down hopefully I get an early one.

I’m also thinking about swapping my 911 for a model 3 performance when the new company car tax rules come in April.

I must be mad 🤷🏼*♂️

Not sure why it's called the CyberTruck, simply because it isn't. Surely to be a truck it should have sufficient space in the rear to truck things. Why didn't he design it with a Flatbed, rather than something that makes it look like a hatchback. Pick-ups are sold by the millionin the US, because they are practical - this is less practical than a station wagon.

As for the pedestrian dangers of the design. It won't cut anyone in half, but then it will not flip them over the hood, either. It will however punt them in to next week, much like pretty much SUV on the market.

Surely if Musk was serious, he would have designed a lightweight (made from recycleable plastics and aluminium) pick-up with a lots of torque (for towing), massive brakes to handle the additional carry weight, a limited top speed of 80 (its a truck after all) and then cover the roof and hood with PV cells to get extra charge. Not some stainless steel, supercar, dressed up to look like a cop car from Blade Runner.

I

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Why didn't he design it with a Flatbed, rather than something that makes it look like a hatchback. Pick-ups are sold by the millionin the US, because they are practical - this is less practical than a station wagon.

I
    It is a flatbed , watch the end when they load a quad into it.

https://youtu.be/464puoD09dM

Master
    cover the roof and hood with PV cells to get extra charge
    Yup, I think Elon said during the presentation there will be a solar option to add 15 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Oh well lots of negativity here. I’m having one anyway. I’ve put my tiny deposit down hopefully I get an early one.

I’m also thinking about swapping my 911 for a model 3 performance when the new company car tax rules come in April.

I must be mad *
    Tbh I’m not that negative, I welcome new ideas and this is certainly kicking car design in a much needed different direction. The 15 year old in me thinks it’s brilliant, the real me stopped being an early adopter after buying a minidisc player

How could something this shape cut you in half?
    I was being flippant but do we think it'll pass safety tests as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    It is a flatbed , watch the end when they load a quad into it.

https://youtu.be/464puoD09dM
    ok, actually that's quite cool, especially as the cover folds away. I still don't understand the stainless steel.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Yup, I think Elon said during the presentation there will be a solar option to add 15 miles a day.

Depends on where you park it and whether its sunny, but a good option to have.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    ok, actually that's quite cool, especially as the cover folds away. I still don't understand the stainless steel.
    Stainless steel...80s DeLorean style....whats not to like?

Russian humor

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Stainless steel...80s DeLorean style....whats not to like?
    It would be very expensive for insurance claims if one had to replace the entire exoskeleton in a scrape. Mind you, even the regular Teslas out there have ridiculously high insurance repair bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Russian humor

You might have to explain that for those of us who don’t read Russian...

You might have to explain that for those of us who don’t read Russian...
    Oh, sorry, that’s embalmed Lenin.