closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chipper shredder: any experience buying one?

Blog Entries

Chipper shredder: any experience buying one?

For years I've had the idea to buy my own chipper shredder for my garden: the branches and leafs can be used as compost on the flowerbeds instead of dumping the garden waste in a tip or container.
    99% of the branches I need to chop are thinner than 4.5 cm / 2 inch. Perhaps I can get away with an electric powered machine(?)

Your experiences, do's and don'ts are very welcome!

Menno
    (who's now off to the garden with large pruning shears)

They certainly have their uses.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I had a “mid range” electric Bosch for a while with a view to recycling stuff back into the garden rather than the green bin. I suppose you get what you pay for but two things I would bear in mind. 1) They make a right racket, ear splitting if truth be known so ear defenders are a must and your neighbours will be hoping that you switch it off soon. 2) If you throw a lot of green stuff in there it will be prone to clog up. I imagine the more money you spend the less likely this is to happen and the easier it will be to partly dismantle in order to clear it. In the end I sold mine, you tend to get mountains of stuff waiting to be done and you don’t look forward to doing it.

Master
    Russ's 1st is very relevant. They are very noisy, and an unpleasant noise at that, you can wear ear defenders but it might be worth apologising to your neighbours in advance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I had a “mid range” electric Bosch for a while with a view to recycling stuff back into the garden rather than the green bin. I suppose you get what you pay for but two things I would bear in mind. 1) They make a right racket, ear splitting if truth be known so ear defenders are a must and your neighbours will be hoping that you switch it off soon. 2) If you throw a lot of green stuff in there it will be prone to clog up. I imagine the more money you spend the less likely this is to happen and the easier it will be to partly dismantle in order to clear it. In the end I sold mine, you tend to get mountains of stuff waiting to be done and you don’t look forward to doing it.
    This was my experience of them. Even expensive ones.

Unless you have something like this..............

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My experience is different. Have a Bosch AXT 25TC and isn't noisy at all (no ear defenders necessary), think it uses different cutting system to most home shredders. Don't confuse with the lesser AXT 25D. Good comparison review here http://www.fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm

Very impressed with its performance - easily shreds 40mm branches. Can become clogged if too much leafy material stuffed into it but easily cleared and now know how best to feed it.

Master
    Bosch seem to get the best reviews as a DIY model for small garden stuff

I bought a RHINO model from Scewfix which has done the job for our small-ish garden and is not expensive

They do clog if you abuse them - but they are easy to clear

I have found it to be useful and saved trips to the local "tip"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    They certainly have their uses.
    One of the great films
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    1) They make a right racket, ear splitting if truth be known so ear defenders are a must and your neighbours will be hoping that you switch it off soon.
    Absolutely! Haven't used mine for a while - it's an awful sound!

2) If you throw a lot of green stuff in there it will be prone to clog up. I imagine the more money you spend the less likely this is to happen and the easier it will be to partly dismantle in order to clear it.
    I don't think they are designed to work with a lot of foliage so you have to add time to separate out what will and what won't go through without giving problems.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I don't think they are designed to work with a lot of foliage so you have to add time to separate out what will and what won't go through without giving problems.
    There are two types of budget machines (Bosch etc). One is designed for light twigs and foliage, the other to chop up branches up to 2" dia. I believe only the more expensive commercial machines are man enough to handle everything you throw into it.

Master
    I have a Bearcat chipper shredder. I had a smaller style that had a 10HP motor on it but it would clog with a handful of leaves in it. So I went with this larger unit which if your an avid gardener is better fit for the task.

SC3305

I would go to youtube and check out videos of anything your looking to purchase first you want to make sure you size it for your needs not your wallet!