closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Military watch - Omega CK2777-1 Broad Arrow - 1953

My first Military watch - Omega CK2777-1 Broad Arrow - 1953

I often look in the BMW thread but have never posted, so better late than never here are some images of my first military watch, an Omega CK2777-1 Broad Arrow.

For me its a true military based watch having the input of the British government, sword hands, fixed bars, magnetic shield, accurate movement and the all important case back engraving, its a great size to being 37mm.

This watch came to me with extract of archives, all numbers matching up and the comments of "Produced with special dial and case-back engraving for the British Military"

The movement is known as the 283 RS and supposedly very accurate and the watch retains the rare "doohickey" spring, I like the leather but its very thick when doubled up under the case so some nice quality 18mm NATO's will be on order soon.

Any info from the knowledgable folk here is very welcome as I like to know about the history of my watches, not just wear them.

The Omega 53 is a nice size. I've owned two, or it could have been three, in the past.

There are a couple of good articles by Ken Gordon in the Horological Journal 2012, part 1 in October and part 2 in November. Part 2 includes a picture of the MoD/Omega order. I have a printed copy if you can't find it. It's also featured on pages 685 to 688 of Konrad Knirim's tome.

They were worn on stainless Bonklip bracelets. I've never liked Bonklips so have always put them on NATOs.

I like the early canvas NATOs:

http://af0210strap.com/shop/

Master
    Blog Entries
    A true practical classic,it looks stunning.

Master
    I know next to nothing about military watches. But those Omega 53 models, plus IWC Pilot Mk XI and the JLC equivalents, are some of my favourite designs.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The Omega 53 is a nice size. I've owned two, or it could have been three, in the past.

There are a couple of good articles by Ken Gordon in the Horological Journal 2012, part 1 in October and part 2 in November. Part 2 includes a picture of the MoD/Omega order. I have a printed copy if you can't find it. It's also featured on pages 685 to 688 of Konrad Knirim's tome.

They were worn on stainless Bonklip bracelets. I've never liked Bonklips so have always put them on NATOs.

I like the early canvas NATOs:

http://af0210strap.com/shop/
    Thanks for the info, I’ll try and search the 2012 Journal as it sounds interesting, and yes a canvas strap would look great..

That's bloody lovely. I recently bought my first military watch as well (just a W10, but a really nice example issued in 1979) and I have to say that I already feel quite an affection for it.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Thanks for the info, I’ll try and search the 2012 Journal as it sounds interesting, and yes a canvas strap would look great..

L-R:

Remake of AF0210 strap
    Remake of DEF 3 strap
    Original Bonklip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first Military watch - Omega CK2777-1 Broad Arrow - 1953

I have one of those DEF 3 remakes on a DH watch at the moment. It goes really well but couldn’t be worse for historical accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

L-R:

Remake of AF0210 strap
    Remake of DEF 3 strap
    Original Bonklip
    Nice to see the original bracelet, looks bit of a hair puller to me so I'll stick with NATO's for now

Oh no, Bonklips are very comfy indeed.
    Dave

Apprentice
    That's absolutely stunning, congrats. A friend of mine on an unrelated forum has one which he loves. Great pictures too.

Nice for your first military watch. My first was a Bulova A-11 at a antique watch store that was called the store in Niles Calif. years ago and been collecting issued timepieces of all kinds ever since from watches to clocks you mite of went down the rabbit hole like I did over 20 years ago.

My Omega 53

Billy does the Bonklip cause any damage to the lugs. I got a bracelet that's the same make as the one issued for Junghans bund just the bracelet don't have the issue marks that I got for my issued Junghans bund and some one said they can cause damage to the lugs so I took it off. Bonklip end pieces are about the same has it caused any damage when you wore your 53 with it ?
    Last edited by River Rat; 4th December 2019 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Nice for your first military watch. My first was a Bulova A-11 at a antique watch store that was called the store in Niles Calif. years ago and been collecting issued timepieces of all kinds ever since from watches to clocks you mite of went down the rabbit hole like I did over 20 years ago.

My Omega 53

Billy does the Bonklip cause any damage to the lugs. I got a bracelet that's the same make as the one issued for Junghans bund just the bracelet don't have the issue marks that I got for my issued Junghans bund and some one said they can cause damage to the lugs so I took it off. Bonklip end pieces are about the same has it caused any damage when you wore your 53 with it ?
    Hi RR,

I put Nylon NATOs on when I owned Omega 53s. I think that damage is more likely to the Bonklip end piece. I reckon it needs prising open to get in on fixed bars and then crimping back to close it.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post

Surely those nibbles on the lugs of your J88 Bund, made by the Kiefer Expandro, are becaasue the J88 is a plated brass-cased watch?
    The damage from a stainless bonklip on a stainless watch is a lot less, and I have seen very few Lemania HS9s (for instance) that would have been issued on Bonklips, that have lug damage from them.
    Dave