closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is This a Parnis Original Or Are They "Homaging" Something?

Is This a Parnis Original Or Are They "Homaging" Something?

I'm looking to replace my Orient Bambino. I've never really jelled with it. It's my least favourite watch. I found this on the Parnis website (it's the Icon 03) but I'd rather not buy a homage, which they seem to do a lot of. It doesn't look like anything else that I can think of but I'm no expert. So I seek the wisdom of the forum. Is it an original Parnis? Has anyone got one? Are you happy with it?

https://parnis.org/products/icon-03

Master
    According to the Parnis website, it's a "one of a kind original design, completely designed and manufactured in house".

https://parnis.org/collections/icon

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    According to the Parnis website, it's a "one of a kind original design, completely designed and manufactured in house".

https://parnis.org/collections/icon
    Thanks. I hadn’t spotted that

Master
    Whatever it is I wouldn’t buy it. I was given a PARNIS as a present and it is utter rubbish. Arrived with the case back hanging off and so poorly machined that it was impossible to screw back on. Find something else you like from a proper manufacturer and don’t waste your money.

I quite like it, but a bit too dressy for me, I’ve had a good few Parnis and while the quality is low, so is the price.
    Never had any problems with them, in fact some of the movements keep very good time, just remember you get what you pay for, all of mine were bought used and half price ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I quite like it, but a bit too dressy for me, I’ve had a good few Parnis and while the quality is low, so is the price.
    Never had any problems with them, in fact some of the movements keep very good time, just remember you get what you pay for, all of mine were bought used and half price ish.
    Im looking to replace a bambino which I’ve never really liked so dressy is where I’m headed. This one's got a Miyota movement so should be fine
    Last edited by snedboy; 24th November 2019 at 12:48.

Master
    First thing you have to understand: Parnis as "brand" in usual terms does not exist at all.

There is no Parnis factory with IDK watchmakers in white suits with embossed Parnis on breast pocket and magnifiers on head that work in workshop and assemble your beloved timepiece.

It is just a market name for products manufactured in various contract factories all over China.. so it is more or less hit or miss.

I have right now one of Parnis on wrist and it's assembly , details and accuracy punch above its price. I payed less for it than for used Seiko 5 and it has SEL bracelet with milled and perlaged clasp, sapphire, screwdown crown, hack/HW movement and good detailing on case.. and yes ... It is a homage. I just wanted a everyday watch without annoying low tier Seiko flaws.

On the other hand, some other Parnis watches I owned earlier had movement stop randomly, details were poorly executed (straps were horrible) and offcourse lume and QC were near to non existant. One of them had visible hair on the dial. All were various Sub and GMT homages.

Other one was Portuguese homage I bought few years back and my friend bought it from me and it still works flawlessly. It was perfectly executed and dead accurate.

Newer generations are improved in terms of quality and movements (Miyota is often used instead of DG) but still I don't understand what you expect from 40-50£ watch?

Craftsman
    Very reminiscent of the Rolex Cellini Date to me, just without the sub dial date complication;

https://www.rolex.com/watches/cellini/m50519-0014.html

I made the mistake of buying one a few years back, it was a load of old crap. Luckily it was from e-bay so I returned it immediately to the seller for a full refund.

Most of their watches are under £100 and spending in that bracket you would be much better going to your local high street and buying from one of the well known retailers that would offer a guarantee. Chinese sweatshops don't really do guarantees 😂

Master
    And again ... You are wrong.

Obviously you have not seen modern assembly workshops in China. After all, they are capable to manufacture high spec electronics for mobile phones.

It is far from "sweatshop"... Which were actually western product of first industrial revolution in former England, as I recall...

I saw the GMT that I made the mistake of buying. The 24 hour hand certainly wasn't connected to the rest of the watch as it clearly had a mind of its own.

If you are happy with the brand then all is good 👍

Master
    No I am not happy. It is legal replica. But I don't fool myself with sweatshop and "it's crap from China".

99% of micros assemble and make their products in China, and nearly half of world renown watch companies, including some of forum darlings atleast make bracelets in China.

Do you think Smiths watches are made in UK?

Parnis is hit or miss in quality due to different factories that assemble them.

On the other hand some of the more expensive watches I had were seriously flawed. And I am not talking about infamous Seiko misalignment.

I owned brand new Oris TT diver that did not pass pressure test. At 5 atm it started to let go.

Little confusing due to swiss made 300 m WR 1000£ worth diver...
    Last edited by sinner77; 24th November 2019 at 20:27.

If "Parnis" really is a dump-bin pseudo brand, why are so many of "their" products sold with sterile dials? Seems counterintuitive, to me at least.

FWLIW, I have a couple of sterile Parnis semi-homages. Both have elements from several different models, the Pepsi GMT looks most like something from the 1980s, but none of the proportions are close. The second is a mashup of Milgauss (notably the green crystal) and 116900 Air King. The latter is a big favourite - the lack of the Air King's War-and-Peace levels of text plus the complimentary green crystal improve on the original IMHO. The finish of both is good (bracelets rather less so!), both keep remarkably good time, the GMT is fully functional, reliable, watertight etc. At £50 a piece in a world where I will never be able to afford the real thing, they have a place.

Re: It is a legal replica.

What is a legal replica and how is Parnis one?

Grand Master
    As their website explains, Parnis sells both fully assembled and properly regulated watches with guarantees, and also parts for assembly and self service building. These latter as completed watches turn up on eBay
    I have a Parnis built dark blue dial sterile fleiger with sapphire, decent lume and a regulated Asian 6497 type movement and it is very good for the £120 it cost me direct from Parnis.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I bought a couple of their sterile homages a while back.
    Quality was ok except bracelet where the threads were mangled to start with.

Master
    I've had 4 Parnis and 3 Alphas. All but one have failed on the winder/crown assembly - the one that is still performing well is the Alpha GMT which looks a lot like the Rolex but in all fairness is badged up as Alpha. I bought it umpteen years ago direct from Alpha at a cost of £25 delivered.

Rob

Master
    I have a parnis ‘Portuguese’. Had it for years and it starts up whenever I give it a wind or a shake.
    I’d certainly buy another one if I saw one that took my fancy.
    If you like that one. Buy it. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk