closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tyre inflator recommendations?

Tyre inflator recommendations?

I have a crappy, noisy, weak, inaccurate tyre inflator that I bought in Halfords a few years ago. I do my car, the wife's car and now, the elderly neighbour's car.
    I would prefer one with a digital reading you can set and it stops when at the set pressure.
    I've seen loads on amazon from £10 to about £30 but not sure if they'd be any better than what I've got. Would going to £40 or £50 give a better quality product?
    Any pumps you guys swear by?

Blog Entries
    Most of the pumps available have gauges/readouts which are pretty inaccurate. I would use a separate pressure gauge having checked that also with a calibrated gauge. Unless your car has TPMS system which I believe are quite accurate.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it's a regular exercise, it might be worth investing in a little compressor and a pcl gauge. Will cost a fair bit more but the gauge will be accurate, it'll take a fraction of the time and the compressor is always handy for other stuff you might need.

I've been using a Ring RAC700 for years. Mainly got it to inflate trailer tyres (90psi) but it works perfectly for the car too. Runs from a 12v source though so it's bonnet up time if you have want to run it.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RAC700

I use a Ring, the digital model which also has warning lights built in to help being seen at the roadside.. You set your desired pressure in either bars or psi, switch on and it cuts out when the pressure is reached. Also you can attach it to read the pressure after a heavily laden trip trip and let it back down with a little release button, very hand after Uni runs with the bairns. Runs off the built in 12v sockets in my Picasso, or the cigarette lighter, it being an older model car. I bought mine at Screwfix @ 6 years ago and it still works perfectly.
    F.T.F.A.

I have one of these which is handy for keeping in the boot. Has a digital display that you can toggle PSI, BAR and you can set the pressure.

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/12v-ty...hoCFfcQAvD_BwE

I'm wary of the valve connectors that you have to screw down, as I'm used to a snap-on clamp type. Any problems with the screw-on ones? Most of those recommended have a screw-on connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'm wary of the valve connectors that you have to screw down, as I'm used to a snap-on clamp type. Any problems with the screw-on ones? Most of those recommended have a screw-on connectors.

No problems at all in my experience.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    I use this mains inflator but still check the readings with a calibrated pressure gauge. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC750...05258546&psc=1

Timely thread! I had been looking at this previously:

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/streetwize-kruga-air-compressor-with-5m-hose-guage-550993230

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    I have one of these which is handy for keeping in the boot. Has a digital display that you can toggle PSI, BAR and you can set the pressure.

Interesting product, thanks!

1. How long the does the battery last?

2. The description states: "Comes with a car adapter to use in the car when your inflator battery is running low. " this a cigarette lighter adapter or clips for the car battery?

Pending the responses to those 2 questions, I think I'm going to get one.

I have a Michelin branded one bought from Halfords. Gauge is pretty accurate (I always use a manual gauge to check anyway) it is screw on which is fine IMHO and most importantly it is quick and quiet vs the Audi one that came in the car.

Just visit a car scrap. There is a good one in moderns VW/Audi trunks you can buy cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Most of the pumps available have gauges/readouts which are pretty inaccurate. I would use a separate pressure gauge having checked that also with a calibrated gauge. Unless your car has TPMS system which I believe are quite accurate.
    I use a manual gauge. My TPMS system measures a drop In pressure you have to set and store the pressures so it won't help with an inaccurate gauge just alert to a fall in the recorded pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If it's a regular exercise, it might be worth investing in a little compressor and a pcl gauge. Will cost a fair bit more but the gauge will be accurate, it'll take a fraction of the time and the compressor is always handy for other stuff you might need.
    I did exactly this over the summer.

The PCL digital gauge is great. I got a small PCL compressor at the same time and use it for drying my bikes after I’ve cleaned them.

Well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post

Interesting product, thanks!

1. How long the does the battery last?

2. The description states: "Comes with a car adapter to use in the car when your inflator battery is running low. " this a cigarette lighter adapter or clips for the car battery?

Pending the responses to those 2 questions, I think I'm going to get one.
    ...ordered now anyway - hope it's a good buy!

Grand Master
    After years of being bored with hearing small compressors struggle, i just started using my stand up bike floor pump, works a treat, quicker than the compressors and i then use a bike pressure gauge to see if it's correct.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Just visit a car scrap. There is a good one in moderns VW/Audi trunks you can buy cheap.
    I got one from an Audi, made/branded Continental, also made to install and inflate when using tyre mousse, gauge pretty accurate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I use a manual gauge. My TPMS system measures a drop In pressure you have to set and store the pressures so it won't help with an inaccurate gauge just alert to a fall in the recorded pressure.
    I also use a calibrated manual gauge, but my car does give a readout of actual pressures as well as alerting to any fall in pressures below the recommended settings.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    After years of being bored with hearing small compressors struggle, i just started using my stand up bike floor pump, works a treat, quicker than the compressors and i then use a bike pressure gauge to see if it's correct.
    You are not alone It doesn't take long. If you are regularly putting in more than a couple of psi that usually indicates a slow puncture or leaky valve

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    You are not alone It doesn't take long. If you are regularly putting in more than a couple of psi that usually indicates a slow puncture or leaky valve
    Or in my case, I think - old car - porous alloys. I've replaced a few with refurbs but before long there's invariably one which loses a few psi a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Ha! Do exactly the same - for top-ups it's quicker, easier, and godnose I need the exercise!

Also going to second the shout-outs for PCL gauges - accurate and reliable, my "pop-out" one is >30 years old and still on-point, and recently got one of these to use on the truck - brilliant bit of kit, and being analogue, no batteries to die on you when you least expect!

Buy yourself a small compressor and get one of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a double-barrel foot pump, or a pushbike track pump, but then again I am only a 59 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I use a double-barrel foot pump, or a pushbike track pump, but then again I am only a 59 year old!

I also use a double barrelled foot pump - bought mine from Argos to replace a crappy Halfords pump

The Argos pump is the best foot pump I've used and very much quicker than my neighbours' digital models

Also use a separate air pressure gauge to 'check' the pressure but the Argos pump's gauge is accurate.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8663999 … build quality is excellent

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"