closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing for vintage Smiths watches

Master

Servicing for vintage Smiths watches

Recommendations please and has anybody used this chap.
    https://www.rollinix-smiths-watches.com

TIA

I'd be inclined to try Tudor/Owen on MWR or you could ask at the Smiths Facebook group (Rollino is on there along with a few familiar names).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/261717824304503/
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 22nd November 2019 at 18:21.

What Matthew said, above.

If itís a particularly rare or unusual one (military or automatic) then John Senior.

Got any pics?

Master
    You've seen the Astral in another thread and I've acquired a DeLuxe.
    Last edited by K300; 24th November 2019 at 03:46.

You could try firing off an email to this chap. Never used him, but they've been around for a long time (had him bookmarked as a great resource for pics). Scroll down to bottom of page for prices...

https://www.smithswatches.com/collec...vicing-options
    Last edited by Geralt; 24th November 2019 at 09:34.

Can't comment on quality of service, but Merrens tends to price things at the upper end of the scale.

Lovely watches. The Astral will have a cal 60466E and the De Luxe is probably a 27CS. Any competent watchmaker could service them.

Master
    Thanks guys, smithswatches.com are charging £250 for an 'overhaul'. I had an email from Andy at Rollinix and he is charging £40 for strictly a service so probably Rollinix might be the favourite and presumably he'd contact me back if anything else was required.
    Has anybody used or is familiar with Andy/Rollinix, just want to be fairly certain I can send them off and get them again. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Thanks guys, smithswatches.com are charging £250 for an 'overhaul'. I had an email from Andy at Rollinix and he is charging £40 for strictly a service so probably Rollinix might be the favourite and presumably he'd contact me back if anything else was required.
    Has anybody used or is familiar with Andy/Rollinix, just want to be fairly certain I can send them off and get them again. ;-)
    PM on its way

Journeyman
    Will be very interested to know how this goes! Recently purchased a W10 (finally), and might send that to a good servicing before putting it on :)

Grand Master
    Surprised that anyoneís prepared to fully service a vintage watch for £40 in this day and age.......good luck to him!

Whether the watch is a vintage Omega or a Smiths, the time and overheads is exactly the same. To check and correct faults, strip the watch, clean and inspect the parts, then build it back up takes 3-4 hrs. Old watches almost always have problems somewhere, so itís usually not straightforward.

I would clarify exactly what the guy does for £40.

£40 is what Steve Burrage used to charge for a dateless manual. Michael Swift is now £45, and was less not long ago. That recently retired chap in Wales who would repair all those excellent Soviet movements charged less. Sceptical surprise at people making modest demands isn't a great look, though admittedly a very common one these days.

Master
    I just had a Tudor 7904 serviced, new crystal, new gaskets and a balance complete (which I provided) fitted and fettled for a hundred quid. It was turned around in a month or so.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Sceptical surprise at people making modest demands isn't a great look, though admittedly a very common one these days.
    Nothing sceptical about my comments, Iím merely being realistic. Cleaning fluids now cost £45 per US gallon, overheads are a factor that canít be discounted, oils, rodico, pegwood.......everything adds up.......but disregarding that, give me one good reason for doing a skilled job for peanuts? How much per hour do YOU work for?.....do you value my time at a lower rate than yours?

No-oneís ever accused me of charging too much, itís usually the opposite, but I wouldnít fully service a watch to the standard I work to for £40.........and I know for a fact that I donít charge a commercial rate!

Master
    but I wouldnít fully service a watch to the standard I work to for £40.........and I know for a fact that I donít charge a commercial rate
    I understand where you are coming from but those are pretty strong words of insinuation though! Are you suggesting he won't do a proper service, have you got experience of the chap or know somebody that has had a bad experience that I should know about, as that is my question in the OP, I would rather know.

Duncan at Genesis doesn't charge what some others do but he has always given excellent service on my Watches.

If you check my post it states that Rollinix will do a service for £40 and that I expect to receive an email if it needs more once he's seen it, eyes are wide open.

Master
    I've sent them off to Andy at Rollinix, I also included an Ingersoll which has no crown but does run, he's going to see what he can do.
    I'll report back on my experience.
    Last edited by K300; 28th November 2019 at 00:12.

Grand Master
    I understand where you are coming from but those are pretty strong words of insinuation though! Are you suggesting he won't do a proper service, have you got experience of the chap or know somebody that has had a bad experience that I should know about, as that is my question in the OP, I would rather know.

Duncan at Genesis doesn't charge what some others do but he has always given excellent service on my Watches.

If you check my post it states that Rollinix will do a service for £40 and that I expect to receive an email if it needs more once he's seen it, eyes are wide open.
    I have no experience of this guy, never heard of him until I read this post. In my opinion he is charging a very low price, even if he does the work on a hobby basis.

As a general rule, old watches usually have problems somewhere, often a straightforward service is anything but straightforward and the watch needs more time spending on it than anticipated. That has to be factored in too.

One thing's for sure, at this price he won't be short of work.

He wouldnít have been my choice but Iíll be interested to see how this plays out

Master
    He wouldnít have been my choice but Iíll be interested to see how this plays out
    I did send an email to the chap you recommended but he never responded.

I did send an email to the chap you recommended but he never responded.
    :-(

I'm sure it will be fine.

Be sure to let us know, always good to add to the pool of knowledge.

Master
    The rundown:

Smiths Astral 9ct Gold:
    Absolutely fine beyond needing the service.

Smiths Deluxe:
    Threw up a few extra issues:
    Firstly the setting spring had broken. Replaced so the crown now snaps back into place £15.
    Also the hairspring was beyond salvaging £25.

Ingersoll serviced perfectly plus a new crown £5.
    Cleaned and polished the case plus two original spring bars FOC.

All crystals polished to original condition.

Total is £170 inc. special delivery return postage.

Watches currently on test for consistency and timings and I should have them back by Weds/Thurs.

I'll post pics when I get them back, but so far so good, I have to say that Andy has been a pleasure to deal with so far.

The rundown:

Smiths Astral 9ct Gold:
    Absolutely fine beyond needing the service.

Smiths Deluxe:
    Threw up a few extra issues:
    Firstly the setting spring had broken. Replaced so the crown now snaps back into place £15.
    Also the hairspring was beyond salvaging £25.

Ingersoll serviced perfectly plus a new crown £5.
    Cleaned and polished the case plus two original spring bars FOC.

All crystals polished to original condition.

Total is £170 inc. special delivery return postage.

Watches currently on test for consistency and timings and I should have them back by Weds/Thurs.

I'll post pics when I get them back, but so far so good, I have to say that Andy has been a pleasure to deal with so far.
    Thanks! Good to know.

Those setting springs are always breaking, the new ones are much better

Journeyman
    I was quoted £250 to service my recently bought Smiths W10 by In-Time watches & repairs.. Didn't go for it as the watch actually runs really well as it is now:/

Master
    The watches came back today by special delivery.

On the whole very pleased, came well packaged, there is a bit of fluff on the face of the Astral, you have to look with a loupe and very good light to see it, he supplied new spring bars apart from the Ingersoll which he supplied originals all FOC.

Master

Servicing for vintage Smiths watches

Iíve just had my Smiths De Luxe back from Andy/Rollinix. Itís a 9ct Gold BR presentation model that Iím sure people are familiar with.

I needed a new setting spring and a new crystal. All looks spot on, working nicely and exactly what I hoped for. Dealt with very quickly and straightforwardly, packed well and sent back RMSD. Andy sent back the replaced parts as well.

For a relatively cheap watch that I use occasionally but really like, I think it was exactly the practical service I needed at a very affordable price. If I wanted a top end service of one of my (few) expensive watches, with timegrapher outputs, warranties etc. I expect Iíd choose someone else but also expect to pay appropriately.

I havenít checked the timing yet, not expecting a miracle anyway.

Iím very happy with the service I received from Rollinix.
    Last edited by alfat33; 12th December 2019 at 18:09.