closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chimney Feathers Problem

Threaded View

Chimney Feathers Problem

We have two fireplaces at the front of the house - open fires, one in the front room and one in the bedroom above. We use the downstairs one one every year and have it swept etc. The bedroom one hasn't been used in 15 years (since Mrs MCH and I moved into the attic). We've had a few fires lit this year including tonight. I've just walked past daughter's bedroom and there's a smell of smoke and she tells me that it's been the same every time we've had a fire this year - no actual smoke but definitely smells of it. Further conversation and Mrs MCH happens to mention that over the summer she found a sooty half brick in the downstairs fireplace and chucked it out.

So it's pretty clear the feathers between the two flues have failed and obviously won't have another fire until it's sorted.

We've had a flue at the back of the house lined (to a wood burning stove). I assume we could just have the front done as well at least to the downstairs fireplace i.e. there's no issue using a flue liner and open fireplace? We'd obviously have to have the one to the upstairs fireplace done too if we ever wanted to use that fireplace again.

Anyone got any expertise/experience in this area? Any other options?

edit: all rooms concerned are adequately centrally heated so any fireplaces are for effect only - we're not going to freeze while this is sorted out.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 21st November 2019 at 01:11.