closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Hybrid View

Master

Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Talk on another thread is about the GA-2100. Here is the must have Square that’s just landed at g-shock.co.uk. Anyone buying? Think it’s a little out of my price range for a G Shock at £1400, would be nice though.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmw-b5000tb-1er

Craftsman
    The whole appeal of a g shock is i can batter it without remorse.

This, not so much.

Craftsman
    Overpriced IMHO..a big fan of the square g shock, but this is just too expensive... I suspect the original weights about the same or less

Was looking forward to it but the price is nuts.

Titanium Square G Shock - Anyone buying?

Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and treat it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and free at it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)
    Titanium is a wonderful material, but I agree, it doesn't really work on a watch of this nature when at this price point. Titanium watches do not have to be expensive as evidenced by the cheap e.g. Seiko quartz out there, so Casio are aiming this intentionally above all the other non-precious metal variants.

Bet it feels great on wrist though!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Dw5600e, job done. This is what happens to a metal g shock after a year of teenage wear. This cost me £399, why would I pay £1000 more and treat it like this? (Which is surely the point of a G shock?)

Some here would describe that as only worn on nights out

Blog Entries
    I bet you the new expensive model holds up better, ion plating vs Casio’s DLC treatment is not a fair comparison. I once owned a quite expensive MRG with DLC coating, it could take a lot of abuse, and not a mark on it.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Well .. people sometimes cite Submariners and similar steel Rolex models as being go anywhere, do anything, don't baby it watches in the same sense as a G Shock. Would a Sub wear the same sort of punishment much better than a metal G? Maybe a bit. But they're a lot more expensive as well.

I'm a G-Shock fan and really like the titanium camo version but wouldn't pay the asking price for it. They deserve to sell hardly any of these because of the ridiculous RRP but I have a feeling they'll do alright with collectors.

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmw-b5000tcm-1er

Seems way over priced!

And as for the clasp!

It's interesting that it is available for purchase. The advance hype was that these were going to be like hens teeth, but maybe the price is quelling the rush just as it did on the aged IP version that was limited to 300 watches in the U.K. but at £900 these can still be bought.

It is a stunning watch and like the Porter before it probably aimed at the serious collector rather than someone who wants a casual beater.

There's a lesson for Rolex here, put a stupid price on it and all of a sudden demand is no longer a issue 😂

The camo must be printing on the Titanium? If that’s the case I can’t see it bearing scars well at all

I'm pleased that folk are able to buy these. The hype did suggest that they were unobtainium and that it was another profiteers pay day.

It's laser etched then covered with some sort of dlc coating. It also has sapphire crystal, so the whole package is pretty bomb-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    It's laser etched then covered with some sort of dlc coating. It also has sapphire crystal, so the whole package is pretty bomb-proof.
    Sounds pretty cool, still think my son could introduce a bit of ‘wabi sabi’ given a few months ‘light’ university studying/falling out of pubs/falling out of clubs! No way worth £1500 imho

Blog Entries
    1500,- for a bog standard TAG quartz with cheap eta movement is ok. This marvel of Japanese engineering is not? C’mon guys.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    1500,- for a bog standard TAG quartz with cheap eta movement is ok. This marvel of Japanese engineering is not? C’mon guys.
    What does the movement have over and about a £50 solar 6 band, or the £300 metal G's?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What does the movement have over and about a £50 solar 6 band, or the £300 metal G's?
    I think it's the same module as the £300 full metal GMW-B5000's - you are paying for the bezel, the strap and the exclusivity.

I bought the stainless steel GMWB5000 with the rubber strap from Amsterdam airport for just about under £300 a year or so ago - absolutely loved it since. I quite like the look of this one too - but I don't think it's a 1.5k watch..

Apprentice
    I really liked the full metal black version, but thought it was too expensive at £500. At about three times the price this is daft!

Blog Entries
    No it isn’t, it’s all in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    I really liked the full metal black version, but thought it was too expensive at £500. At about three times the price this is daft!
    The Porter DLC was £1,100 list - so this isn't that extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The Porter DLC was £1,100 list - so this isn't that extreme.
    Agreed, it isn't extreme but it is pricey for most. The only other G shocks which are proper Titanium are the MR-Gs and they're even more expensive. From that point of view this is about right. It is a niche product, not for all at all. The standard all metal B5000 is the one for the majority of consumers.

Very nice.
    Looks wise pretty much the same as SS version, it appears except for the display

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Very nice.
    Looks wise pretty much the same as SS version, it appears except for the display

Close, except gold buttons and lettering on the bezel. I would buy this watch but I dislike gold so much even that detail puts me off.

It's too similar to the 35th anniversary , and that one's 1/10th of the price.

I'll be up for the first one, used, on the SC. I like the strath nature, and the titanium, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    It's too similar to the 35th anniversary , and that one's 1/10th of the price.

IMO the 35th anniversary display is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    IMO the 35th anniversary display is horrendous.
    Actually, most of the time it looks like this

Last edited by Skyfire; 23rd November 2019 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Actually, most of the time it looks like this

i watched random robs video on youtube and it seems to mostly look like a terrible display. I see where you are coming from with the similarities to the titanium, but the display is not to my tastes.

Craftsman
    I really like the look of this one, but the price is a bit steep.

What are the all-metal bracelets like on these models? Do they feel cheap and flimsy?

Excellent stuff, look forward to seeing some pics 👍

It’s here and I have to say it’s absolutely magnificent . The titanium weight is perfect (a third lighter than the steel version), love the finishing and the DLC looks pretty decent. Interestingly I haven’t felt any regret in not getting the camo, this just feels right!

Oh I forgot how much I hate pin and collar - always takes me a while to figure it all out. I’ll probably still faff with the bracelet over the coming days!

But for now this really makes me evaluate some watches in my collection that likely need to be sold. It also makes the Frogman an inelegant buffoon but that will of course be staying!

A few rough and dirty pics

And a pic of the clasp and bracelet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It’s here and I have to say it’s absolutely magnificent . The titanium weight is perfect (a third lighter than the steel version), love the finishing and the DLC looks pretty decent. Interestingly I haven’t felt any regret in not getting the camo, this just feels right!

Oh I forgot how much I hate pin and collar - always takes me a while to figure it all out. I’ll probably still faff with the bracelet over the coming days!

But for now this really makes me evaluate some watches in my collection that likely need to be sold. It also makes the Frogman an inelegant buffoon but that will of course be staying!

A few rough and dirty pics

And a pic of the clasp and bracelet

Looks badass, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

Excellent, that looks great and personally I do prefer the positive display.

Enjoy 👍

Nice to see some wild pics, thank you! Pin and collar, you say? :( Not even the little 14mm-ish springbars between each ling that the resin bracelets have? No matter. Thanks for posting!

Thanks all. Really enjoying it so far! I’ve always preferred the feel on skin of titanium versus steel and of course the weight difference is great! I’ll try answer a few of the comments -

The finishing is more matt on this. There is also a nice contrast in slightly more shiny parts in between the links.

On the gold - I sympathise and have the same aversion. I have made an exception for this bad boy and it works. The lettering is more yellow than gold and the shine of the buttons gives a nice contrast.

The bracelet - I’ve seen the use of pin/collar on titanium watches in the past. Must be an issue with using spring with the metal?

A few more pics as well!

Looks great. As for the bracelet, whilst the springbar version used on the steel models is very easy to adjust, having taken apart and cleaned my sons recently it also allows a huge build up of crud between the links (yuk!) - the more traditional version on the Ti version will be a lot better in that regard!

This really looks the mutts. Kikuo Ibe ranks pretty high in the annals of watch design imo. A working man’s Genta. And this is the superlative modern execution of his vision.

I’m seriously tempted, but just can’t get over the fact I could get a titanium Garmin Marq or similar for the same money that will do so so much more in terms of functionality. But which, admittedly, won’t be quite as timeless.

Whoop-whoop-whoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Whoop-whoop-whoop.

Are we going to have to wait for you to ponce around with making a YouTube video before we see the watch?

I have genuinely got 30 more minutes where I am meant to be teaching a class right now!

But it's the last one before the weekend. Get to on the hour, and I'll get my camera out, and post a couple of pics before I collapse into the (Arabic) weekend.

Props to LaGuarda Joiers in Barcelona and to UPS for getting the watch to me so quickly!

Craftsman
    Not me. Don't like watches I can't see in sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Not me. Don't like watches I can't see in sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    What?

Now discontinued by Casio. Watch the prices go ballistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Now discontinued by Casio. Watch the prices go ballistic.
    Which one, the £1,400 titanium is still available and there's 10% off

https://g-shock.co.uk/gmw-b5000tb-1er

I think the camouflage version has been removed from the site, but that was always expected to be a more limited model.

Master
    Jura has 15% off either. Code is BOX15 and still looks valid.

Master

Not the titanium but the LE distressed steel.