closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT Oyster bracelet - fix or not?

Master

GMT Oyster bracelet - fix or not?

All,

I’ve decided to get my GMT Master serviced in the new year and undecided as to whether to get the bracelet links tightened.
    It’s a 2000 year watch, and in general doesn’t appear to have much sag in the links but there does seem to be some play in/around the end links.

What’s your advice?
    Get it fixed or don’t bother?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Who is doing the service and what is the price difference between service and service + links? If it's Rolex and it's £500+£500 or an independent who might be £500+£250 I might go with the independent . Genesis watch repairs might be able to advise or Walkerwerk or Haywood on this forum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Who is doing the service and what is the price difference between service and service + links? If it's Rolex and it's £500+£500 or an independent who might be £500+£250 I might go with the independent . Genesis watch repairs might be able to advise or Walkerwerk or Haywood on this forum
    Probably going to be Rolex because as far as I can recollect the last time I had one serviced the Rolex accredited independent wasn't much cheaper than sending it to Rolex via the local Rolex AD.
    It was much easier for me to drop into to my local dealer and the service was excellent.

Grand Master
    Whilst I’m flattered to get a mention, I can’t fix stretched bracelets, it involves taking fixed links apart and I don’t have a facility to do this.

As far as I know, Rolex Service Centre don’t offer this, they recommend replacement bracelets at considerable cost. I’m not aware of any indys that do, the only person I’ve heard of in the UK is Seth, who’s based in the London area.

Having looked at the pictures I don’t think the bracelet looks at all bad. The sides of the links wear slightly and that makes the dangle test look worse, I would assess it by putting it on and judging the space between the links.

Be sure to jeep it clean, and don’t wear it loose, that’s the best way to avoid wear. The ultimate is to not wear the watch..........but that defeats the object somewhat!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Whilst I’m flattered to get a mention, I can’t fix stretched bracelets, it involves taking fixed links apart and I don’t have a facility to do this.

As far as I know, Rolex Service Centre don’t offer this, they recommend replacement bracelets at considerable cost. I’m not aware of any indys that do, the only person I’ve heard of in the UK is Seth, who’s based in the London area.

Having looked at the pictures I don’t think the bracelet looks at all bad. The sides of the links wear slightly and that makes the dangle test look worse, I would assess it by putting it on and judging the space between the links.

Be sure to jeep it clean, and don’t wear it loose, that’s the best way to avoid wear. The ultimate is to not wear the watch..........but that defeats the object somewhat!

Thanks Paul,

I didn't think it was too bad, but it's always good to get the advice from others who may know better.
    Wearing the watch, there's a little play in the end link as the watch head doesn't sit completely square with the bracelet, but I guess that's to be expected on a near twenty year old oyster bracelet.

I regularly give my bracelets a clean as it's the build up of dirt and grime in and around the pins that does the damage over time.
    I might contact Seth just to get an idea of the cost, but hopefully there's no need to get it done in a hurry.

Micheal Young in Hong Kong would be able to sort this out, his work was very well thought of but recently there has been some patchy reviews so do your research.

I'am thinking of using him to do a 1175 Speedmaster bracelet, here is the response email -

Yes we can restore your band.

The price for Omega band restoration, excluding parts and additional repair, is USD250, plus return EMS/Fedex postage USD45^ and (optional insurance for 2% of desired insured value). PAYMENT via PayPal when done to ---------------------- in approx. 4-6 weeks.
    But this is just a general approximation, we are a small workshop and have little man power, so please be a little patient since sometimes it takes longer.

Website link - http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

Last edited by murkeywaters; 20th November 2019 at 16:57.

Grand Master
    If there's play between the watch head and end link it's possible that the springbars need replacing, they may be sprained slightly. From the pics the bracelet didn`t look bad enough to justify having it overhauled. I don`t know what Seth charges for doing this but with the work involved it's got to be a few £.

Bear in mind if you do let Seth repair the bracelet then be prepared for a long wait. Mines been with him since early August & I've not got it back yet.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I do not believe you should consider trying to improve this bracelet yet. At that apparent rate of wear, come back in ten years and ask again.

H

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it is a keeper just buy a new one if it is bothering you and the new one will last the rest of your life.

I have a 2002 114270 and the bracelet wear was bothering me; no doubt it had many years left in it but a new bracelet transformed the watch. It will last me until I die and I will get the pleasure from having a nice new tight bracelet.

Yeah it cost £1000; but I sold the old stretched one for £400 so for £600 I had a nice new bracelet that will see me out.

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Bear in mind if you do let Seth repair the bracelet then be prepared for a long wait. Mines been with him since early August & I've not got it back yet.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
    lol but it will get done at some point other alternative send it round the world to whats his name lol