closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mobile phone repair

Master

Mobile phone repair

I just dropped my phone off to be repaired, they asked a few questions which included passcode. Stupidly I said it without thinking. Walked out, trout about it and immediately picked it back up. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I just dropped my phone off to be repaired, they asked a few questions which included passcode. Stupidly I said it without thinking. Walked out, trout about it and immediately picked it back up. Is that normal?

How were they going to fix it if they can't get in to it? You could have un-set the passcode but same difference – they still have access to the phone.

Personally, I would have restored factory settings before taking it for repair, but maybe you couldn't?

Blog Entries
    I had a new screen fitted to my iPhone SE (twice ) and they never needed the code on either occasion. Had a battery fitted and the same applied.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

If its a screen repair you would need full access , as you need to make sure that there is no 'dead spots' on the digitizer/ screen. You need to touch a icon and drag it all around the screen including corners and sides . They dont want you back in a hour saying the phone touch screen wont work in certain areas.

I think the bigger repair shops have software that unlocks the phone regardless of passcodes , any repair shop thats good would not chance just fitting parts and not checking its working correctly.

Master
    Should have said, water damaged so won’t turn on. But with a passcode they have acces to current accounts, PayPal, eBay, emails, work email. Just couldn’t do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    If its a screen repair you would need full access , as you need to make sure that there is no 'dead spots' on the digitizer/ screen. You need to touch a icon and drag it all around the screen including corners and sides . They dont want you back in a hour saying the phone touch screen wont work in certain areas.

I think the bigger repair shops have software that unlocks the phone regardless of passcodes , any repair shop thats good would not chance just fitting parts and not checking its working correctly.
    Well I had screens fitted at Timpsons of all people, and also by a mobile company who come to you and have a workshop in their van. Neither wanted the pass code and both worked fine. You don't need a passcode to see the desktop picture screen as it's visible before logging in. That's what they told me.
    I wouldn't give anyone my passcode as there's too much info on the phone.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only time I took a phone to a repair shop (iPhone with audio problem) they removed the SIM and gave it to me in an envelope. No password needed.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Should have said, water damaged so won’t turn on. But with a passcode they have acces to current accounts, PayPal, eBay, emails, work email. Just couldn’t do it.

I don't blame you then. But … your passcode unlocks all that? Wow! What if it was lost or stolen? One passcode hack and it's goodnight Vienna.

All that stuff on my phone is locked with different passwords, pin codes and needs my thumbprint. And I'll always make sure I log out of anything important I've just been using.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I don't blame you then. But … your passcode unlocks all that? Wow! What if it was lost or stolen? One passcode hack and it's goodnight Vienna.

All that stuff on my phone is locked with different passwords, pin codes and needs my thumbprint. And I'll always make sure I log out of anything important I've just been using.
    But you can change finger print with passcode. Then access eBay, bank etc

One of the reasons to go to Apple if it was one. Had a repair recently and they request access remotely. To accept I have to use my fingerprint. It then only gives them access to the things they need. They showed me that apps like banking wouldn’t open. Even in settings some were greyed out like deleting fingerprints/adding prints/changing passcode etc. Done properly you’re still protected.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app