closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MacBook waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Every large organisation that I have worked for has only (apart from a tiny number of niche areas) used Windows PCs. There's a reason for that.
    The main reason is that end users don’t buy their PCs in “large organisations”. IT managers do. Apple sells to end users, not IT managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The Windows OS and all Windows laptops are just plain ugly. End of.

I had to use one for a job I was doing as favour a few months ago and I lasted an hour before I wanted to throw the thing at a brick wall. Horrible!
    High end Dell laptops like the XPS and high end HP laptops like the Spectre are as nice if not nicer than anything Apple make, plus you get far more spec for your money and just as good build quality.

Maybe you'd like to talk Alienware (owned by Dell now)which makes any Apple laptop looks like technology from the Stone-age

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    plus you get far more spec for your money
    after 3 or 4 years with apple computers I realised that I don't care anymore about specs - what megahertz processor it has etc. It just don't matter, because of computer does everything I need and works better than any windows machine I had before.

Blog Entries
    Anything to get away from the Windows merry go round of virus, antivirus, updates, blurry screens and doing all those little tasks that windows users seem to love just to keep windows working.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Anything to get away from the Windows merry go round of virus, antivirus, updates, blurry screens and doing all those little tasks that windows users seem to love just to keep windows working.
    My wife uses a HP laptop for work. The last update took 4 hours and she was unable to use it during that time. I couldn’t run my business using something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The main reason is that end users don’t buy their PCs in “large organisations”. IT managers do. Apple sells to end users, not IT managers.

And for very good reason. Some large organisation do have MACs as well (mostly for Marketing Department) and they are a pain in the arse to support, as they will not run many business application without installing special client software.

I suggest the OP talk to his nipper and ask her. A Chromebook or Surface Pro might fit the bill, unless of course she wants to do lots of graphics and video editing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Maybe you'd like to talk Alienware (owned by Dell now)which makes any Apple laptop looks like technology from the Stone-age
    You can add in HP Z series laptops to that list.

Alas the cult of Apple is strong with some.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    My wife uses a HP laptop for work. The last update took 4 hours and she was unable to use it during that time. I couldn’t run my business using something like that.
    Thats sooo Windows. I have a HP laptop (was expensive at the time!) with Windows on it as a backup in case my main computer has a problem. (bought it just before I went from a Dell windows machine to an I-mac !) Can't see me ever needing it now, and when I check it's still working every moth or so everything looks blurred compared to the 4k screen on the I-mac.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    A great trackpad, I think the best. This is where I struggle with other laptops

Nice design

Good residual value.
    Great point re the trackpad. I use a Bluetooth mouse on my windows work laptop and the trackpad on my MacBook Pro so I completely forgot about that. My god the trackpad on my Dell is a POS. You can update the driver's but my work machine is too locked down to do that on.

On another point this thread reads like a Rolex Vs Omega thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    On another point this thread reads like a Rolex Vs Omega thread!
    Effectively unsolvable - down to personal choice.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I use both for work and a good windows laptop and a decent MacBook are pretty functionally similar. It’s down to personal preference.
    I will say that most of my work is done on pc but I also have the most (minimal really) grief with it usually after the latest windows update.
    Apple updates can be a pain also though but are generally less ‘beta’ in nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a long time Apple user. Started using them in 1986 and bought my first one in 1990. Now THAT was when they were expensive! I think my first Macintosh IIci cost more than my car! I've run my business on them for many years and they've been trouble free in the main - comparing and contrasting them with the Windows PCs my wife's business uses.

Having said that I'm now contemplating switching to the dreaded PC. Apple's current product range doesn't suit my needs- lots of laptops and all-in-ones but only a weedy Mac Mini and the soon to be announced mentally expensive Mac Pro which will be overkill for me and about £5k for the entry level. The kicker for me was pricing up a decent spec Mac Mini - which once you factored in real world amounts of RAM, sensible storage and a beefier processor at Apple's disgraceful prices took the reasonable £799 price to £2199. Quite a hike. Building a PC which will comfortably outperform it will be in the region of £900. You can even get reasonable looking cases that don't look like the dreadful PCs of old.

I bought a secondhand HP desktop to get a feel for Windows 10. It's an agricultural look and feel compared to OS X but ultimately fine - much better than horror shows like Vista. In fact quite Mac OS-like in many ways. Using Adobe's Creative Cloud is not significantly any different and to be fair that's where I spend most of my time.

I'll keep my MacBook Pro and the other Macs - just put them on lighter duties and these days Mac OS and Windows play together nicely. As indeed do Android and iOS and most other OS. Maybe we're moving to an era of system agnosticism anyway. I don't think I could have contemplated this move twenty or even ten years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    I'm a long time Apple user. Started using them in 1986 and bought my first one in 1990. Now THAT was when they were expensive! I think my first Macintosh IIci cost more than my car! I've run my business on them for many years and they've been trouble free in the main - comparing and contrasting them with the Windows PCs my wife's business uses.

Having said that I'm now contemplating switching to the dreaded PC. Apple's current product range doesn't suit my needs- lots of laptops and all-in-ones but only a weedy Mac Mini and the soon to be announced mentally expensive Mac Pro which will be overkill for me and about £5k for the entry level. The kicker for me was pricing up a decent spec Mac Mini - which once you factored in real world amounts of RAM, sensible storage and a beefier processor at Apple's disgraceful prices took the reasonable £799 price to £2199. Quite a hike. Building a PC which will comfortably outperform it will be in the region of £900. You can even get reasonable looking cases that don't look like the dreadful PCs of old.

I bought a secondhand HP desktop to get a feel for Windows 10. It's an agricultural look and feel compared to OS X but ultimately fine - much better than horror shows like Vista. In fact quite Mac OS-like in many ways. Using Adobe's Creative Cloud is not significantly any different and to be fair that's where I spend most of my time.

I'll keep my MacBook Pro and the other Macs - just put them on lighter duties and these days Mac OS and Windows play together nicely. As indeed do Android and iOS and most other OS. Maybe we're moving to an era of system agnosticism anyway. I don't think I could have contemplated this move twenty or even ten years ago.
    Why not the all in one? Just wondered what the criteria was? Price?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What do you think that reason - is?
    I guess because they are 'cool', however the reason most my peers changed back when I was a student was due to reliability / simplicity. Anecdotal of course.

I also seem to recall that Macbook's batteries at the time by far exceeded Windows laptops (especially real world vs advertised specs) but that might have changed now.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Interesting you say that because about 10 years ago I supported a research lab that used Macs and although I always liked the user interface, the OS underneath was absolutely terrible - comfortably the most backward and unreliable implementation of a Unix-like OS I've ever worked with. I was under the impression that things had improved in that respect since they'd moved on to a Unix-certified version shortly after that. But I haven't had to work with them for years, fortunately.

Quite a few of those Macs failed while I was there; the hardware was if anything even more unreliable than the OS. They were uneconomical to repair and I replaced them with Linux boxes. A much better solution at a considerably lower cost.
    FFS - the OP was asking about a laptop for his daughter.

Why not the all in one? Just wondered what the criteria was? Price?

A variety of issues. They're an all-in-one and if anything goes wrong and needs fixing you're without a machine. Not an option if you earn a living using it. My brother had one die from under him - a video board issue which was beyond economic repair according to Apple. Not great for a machine not long out of warranty.

I also prefer a modular machine as I use dual monitors etc. In days gone by I could have a few internal HDDs etc. in my old Mac Pro and not clutter up the desktop for example. Not doable in an iMac sadly. Horses for courses though.

Master
    A variety of issues. They're an all-in-one and if anything goes wrong and needs fixing you're without a machine. Not an option if you earn a living using it. My brother had one die from under him - a video board issue which was beyond economic repair according to Apple. Not great for a machine not long out of warranty.

I also prefer a modular machine as I use dual monitors etc. In days gone by I could have a few internal HDDs etc. in my old Mac Pro and not clutter up the desktop for example. Not doable in an iMac sadly. Horses for courses though.
    Not necessary this build but you could consider building a hackentosh

https://youtu.be/u5ChXnY1d4Y

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

do you really think people who just want to get on with work/studying have the time to faff about with drivers for bodged together hardware and software updates?
    for most people their time is worth more than any money saved by having to ‘play around’ with computers, and they always fail at the most inconvenient times.

i wonder how many young students build hackintoshes so they can do their coursework? there’s a first time for everything i suppose...

Part of the reason for getting the HP Desktop was that it was a prime candidate for Hackintosh as it used an i7 processor. Got it working without too much trouble but not really viable for a work machine sadly - too many what ifs. Also found that using the same piece of software on OSX and Windows 10 showed significant performance gains in Windows - which surprised me.

Anyway we digress....

MacBook? If she wants it and has saved up for it - why not? Not a bad product. Can you get cheaper for less? Yes. Will it be overkill for her needs? most likely. Can you tell a teenage girl this is the case? - that would be an ecumenical matter...

Craftsman
    In a world where having the latest on-trend consumer goods is the main form of social currency among young people, I would imagine turning up to college with a "hackentosh my dad cobbled together" is the modern day equivalent to having Pony trainers. There are many options, but this obviously isn't it.

If she has saved the money, and finances aren't an issue, let her get the Mac. It will last a few years and will be fine for the requirements.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been a mac user for almost 20 years. I love the OSX platform and was a big fan of the build quality of their products. I must say the modern build quality and upgradability blocking with soldered in parts has really made them go off the boil for me. I have just set up a new MacBook air and it was a doddle, its really not worth £1300 though for a 8gb/256gb model.
    Last edited by Middo; 21st November 2019 at 14:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    do you really think people who just want to get on with work/studying have the time to faff about with drivers for bodged together hardware and software updates?
    for most people their time is worth more than any money saved by having to ‘play around’ with computers, and they always fail at the most inconvenient times.

i wonder how many young students build hackintoshes so they can do their coursework? there’s a first time for everything i suppose...
    No, do you really think I was suggesting that everyone rush out and build hackentoshes, or perhaps as I quoted a post from a long term Mac user bemoaning the cost vs spec for the Mac Pro’s and expressing a wish for a cheaper modular option I was checking that they were aware of hackentoshes and giving them options.

I wonder how many people stop and think before posting...

Master
    Apologies for sounding like an IT consultant, but what is her use case? She wants a computer for university. Needs to be mobile, must be cool.

What apps will she be using?
    Office365 or gSuite?
    Will she be doing any coding?
    etc.

Because although I'm a Mac fan a Pixelbook or a Surface Book also have social cachet.

Two grand and it's thick as a brick. I'd rather the stone-age looking Macbook any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Two grand and it's thick as a brick. I'd rather the stone-age looking Macbook any day of the week.

That Dell looks like a Detroit muscle car prototype from the 70s showing us what cars will look like in the year 2020!

I'm not a huge Apple fan, seeing their stuff, mostly, as over priced fashion accessories, but...

For the last 18 months I've been doing my work using a 10 year old MacBook and, once you get over the hurdle of it not being Windows (if you're used to that), I have to say it's fine.

I know for a fact that very few 10 year old PCs would run the latest versions of Office, etc.

I just bought a 'new' Macbook Air (a 2014 one) to supplant my Macbook, simply because the Macbook weighs so much it caused me to exceed my hand baggage allowance limit last time I flew for work!

The Macbook Air is a fair bit quicker and weighs a couple of kilo less (I think, may be a couple of pounds or 1 kilo), but it only cost me £350, which seems good value for something that will probably still be going strong in 5 years time.

Maybe worth looking at something like that for a fashion-conscious student?

On reflection, I would grudgingly agree that, whilst expensive, Macs do seem to be reasonable value for money, it's not all about the tech spec.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 21st November 2019 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The Windows OS and all Windows laptops are just plain ugly. End of.

I had to use one for a job I was doing as favour a few months ago and I lasted an hour before I wanted to throw the thing at a brick wall. Horrible!
    To be fair that was 100% my experience when I first got my MacBook...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

No, do you really think I was suggesting that everyone rush out and build hackentoshes, or perhaps as I quoted a post from a long term Mac user bemoaning the cost vs spec for the Mac Pro’s and expressing a wish for a cheaper modular option I was checking that they were aware of hackentoshes and giving them options.

I wonder how many people stop and think before posting...
    Just keeping on topic with my opinion on this threads opening question and suitability of a DIY computer for a student. I wonder how many people read the question before answering...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Just keeping on topic with my opinion on this threads opening question and suitability of a DIY computer for a student. I wonder how many people read the question before answering...
    Yeah because there have been so few direct responses to the op’s question so far I’m sure he must be stuck with what to do...

If you can you show me where anyone recommends a hackentosh for the op’s daughter I’ll bung a £10 in the fundraiser.

I wonder how many people read a post directly quoting an earlier post and offering a suggestion targeted at said post and cop a sulk because it’s not directly related to the opening post...

My son was given a chromebook by his 6th form college which was fine for his A levels, he just started at University and bought himself a MacBook Air from his savings. He has commented how many of the girls at his college had the latest iPhone and MacBook etc as they treat it as a fashion item. Personally I’d just say no, buy her something cheap and functional - if that makes me sound like Scrooge, whatever!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Daughter is going on about getting a MacBook.

Looking at the technical specs they seem massively overpriced for what’s in them.

I’m a big fan of iPhone/iPad but lumping a load on a laptop that a good quality equivalent could be had for hundreds less doesn’t sit well.

Am I missing something here?

Both my daughters worked before going to university, and paid for basic macbook pros from their savings; they (obviously) love them. They are doing art-y subjects so photo and video editing and animation are important, and the laptops are great for that.

They also like the way things just work; hardware; connecting to screens, scanners, printers, graphics tablets etc. Software; seamless connections with iPhones and iPads, for email, videophone, telephone, messaging, file and photo sharing.

The hardware is robust (no creaking cases) and long lived; although these new keyboards are a worry, but Apples customer support and service is excellent relative the to computer sector average.

As others have pointed out, if you open a Mac laptop, it is ready before you are ready to type your password. Has been like that since my first MacOS X laptop in 2001. My last windows (10) laptop (handed back this september) was still a game of russian roulette, at least once every couple of weeks it ended up having to be rebooted (losing my work context) on waking from sleep.

So your daughter may appreciate the real-world ease of use, straightforward connectivity, robust stylish case and reliability, and think the premium over flimsy plastic laptop with patchy support (naming no PC manufacturer names) , or lack of absolute 'spec' power compared to similarly priced premium PC laptops is a price worth paying.

Unless she needs serious processing power, a basic Mac laptop will last her A-levels and beyond and be better value than a cheap PC laptop.

IMHO

-- Tim

(30+ years in IT as a computer programmer, but a lot of my PC/Linux/Mac opinions are irrelevant here!)

Some interesting perspectives thanks.

My mind has opened a little, I’ll be trotting off to John Lewis with her at the weekend to have a play, but the outcome is inevitable!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My son was given a chromebook by his 6th form college which was fine for his A levels, he just started at University and bought himself a MacBook Air from his savings. He has commented how many of the girls at his college had the latest iPhone and MacBook etc as they treat it as a fashion item. Personally I’d just say no, buy her something cheap and functional - if that makes me sound like Scrooge, whatever!
    You have not read the thread properly - it's her money, her savings.

FFS.

OP - let her get what she wants, in the colour she wants.

All will be good and Apple are great with warranties/problems.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 21st November 2019 at 23:52.

Craftsman
    I bought a 2012 MacBook Air, it was my first flurry into a Mac so a learning experience. I still use it everyday and its running the latest OS and still going strong. No reason to change it. If you use iPads and iPhones its a no brainer, everything just works together.

Blog Entries

Oh I see, obviously the razor sharp quick startup and bullet proof OS of Windows, with little to no down time from endless updates, viruses and malware, and up to the minute graphics has won you over.

Craftsman
    Dont forget student discount

Blog Entries
    As predicted, wide differencs of opinion. Personally have always used different platforms according to the jobs. In the lab is a Unix environment, or some simpler machines have their PC. At home have all Apple stuff, because it works, its simple and cross-compatible in a whim.
    In my Office, a fairly powerful iMac and this, a Mac Air which I use almost exclusively to project at lectures. Students love it:

http://squelettewatches.com/wp-conte...019/11/123.jpg

Last edited by Franco; 22nd November 2019 at 12:11.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1..._repair_costs/

The Register is one of those sites that reports on the tech industry.

Blog Entries
    Rereading this thead, it suddenly strikes me that this is like the: ‘why a Rolex when you can use a cheap Chinese quartz as well...’ -question

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1..._repair_costs/

The Register is one of those sites that reports on the tech industry.
    ...and despite being one of the most widely read are not invited, or I believe knowingly admitted, to any of their corporate press events.

Blog Entries
    There are only few topics, (not counting politics and religion - here not allowed) that guarantee to elicit a few pages of discussion:

1- Coffee types and coffee machines
    2- Ferrari vs Mercedes
    3- Mac vs PC
    4- Which car to buy
    5- please add ......

Master
    Blog Entries
    As said the student discount is defiantly worth looking at. As is the refurb store. I can’t a discount too via work if you want me check in prices.

Oh I see, obviously the razor sharp quick startup and bullet proof OS of Windows, with little to no down time from endless updates, viruses and malware, and up to the minute graphics has won you over.
    I'd prefer to stay with Apple obviously, but for the first time in 29 years as an Apple owner there isn't a machine in their lineup that suits my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Rereading this thead, it suddenly strikes me that this is like the: ‘why a Rolex when you can use a cheap Chinese quartz as well...’ -question
    As evidenced by the fact that this thread is still running. Apple are a lot like Rolex, although I would say they are really more like the "old" Rolex when they were expensive but not unattainable tool watches rather than the brazen veblen goods Apple products are often mischaracterised as. They are genuinely good value for money if you actually look into all the stuff they include as standard that most cheap PCs don't. A good quality screen, for example. It's just that not everyone values those things, or they value things like a high-end gaming GPU more, which has never been a strong point for Apple. More generally, Apple are very opinionated about what they think is good for 90% of users being the best (and hence only) option for 100% of their customers.

Another good comparison is residuals. You can buy any Apple laptop and sell it in 3 years. You'll lose some amount of money reasonably in line with the value gained from having a fairly nice computer for that length of time. If you buy literally any other computer from any other manufacturer, it will be basically worthless after 3 years. If you look at it that way, Apple are actually better VFM than anything other than an essentially "disposable" low end PC, or sticking with say, second-hand Thinkpads (which are at least sought-after enough to retain some value after the initial depreciation from new).

The only realistic competition to Apple in this regard is the new Microsoft Surface laptops which are pretty good, somewhat desirable and might have enough longevity not to burn all their value at purchase time, but I think the Jury is still out on that.

MacOS is currently a nicer OS than Windows, especially for developers, but the scales are gradually shifting in the other direction. If Microsoft can address a few issues like their horrendous auto-update mechanism and invasive adware, while Apple continue to spectacularly mess up their software then I think we'll start seeing Apple return to where they were before the Second Coming of His Steveness. The new 16" Macbook Pro suggests Apple are starting to see the error of some of their recent ways, but they haven't completely turned the ship around yet.

Software-wise Apple are currently in the same Bad Place Microsoft was in 2002 when Bill Gates had to send his famous memo about the dire state of Windows security. The difference is that Microsoft is and has always been an absolute beast in terms of software development capability. While it took them a while to dig out of the very deep hole they were in, they really did turn things around. Apple on the other hand have always been staggeringly incompetent software developers but outstanding software designers. They've always had an edge over everyone else for hardware engineering, but it's only fairly recently that anyone else has seriously tried to compete with them at the same level.

TLDR: Right now, you can't go far wrong buying Apple hardware. In a couple of years? Who knows. Best advice: buy used, 1-2 years old or. If you are a pro, stick with a Macbook Pro from 2013-2015 because that is probably still the best laptop of all time, or get the new 16" one if you have unlimited funds and don't need physical function keys, USB-A and lack of Magsafe isn't a deal-breaker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    MagSafe was brilliant, I bought an aftermarket version for my new air as I wouldn’t want a laptop without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    MagSafe was brilliant, I bought an aftermarket version for my new air as I wouldn’t want a laptop without it.
    That's right, I forgot those exist. Someone on a different forum posted a link to one on Amazon, supposedly rated to 100W over USB C for charging. I've got a few lower wattage magnetic USB cables which are very convenient, but given how unreliable they can be I'm not sure I'd trust a 100W one from a random Chinese non-brand not to start a fire, especially given all the other problems with USB C.

Where did you get yours? Is the magnet strong enough to keep it connected reliably? The biggest thing I'd be worried about is the plug constantly wobbling around and potentially arcing across the pins. I'll probably wait until a well-established brand has had these on the market for over a year before I'd be willing to trust them entirely, but then again, I'm not planning to upgrade my MBP anytime soon anyway.

I`m in the very good but overpriced for what you get hardware wise.

I always buy used ex business laptops such as latitude or X1 Carbon

MacBook waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You have not read the thread properly - it's her money, her savings.

FFS.

OP - let her get what she wants, in the colour she wants.

All will be good and Apple are great with warranties/problems.
    My mistake. Not sure the FFS was warranted but I’m used to general online rudeness.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My mistake. Not sure the FFS was warranted but I’m used to general online rudeness.
    Warranted?

Why not just read the original post and consider your reply before responding, as opposed to feigning offence on the back of being lazy?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm not a huge Apple fan, seeing their stuff, mostly, as over priced fashion accessories, but...

For the last 18 months I've been doing my work using a 10 year old MacBook and, once you get over the hurdle of it not being Windows (if you're used to that), I have to say it's fine.

I know for a fact that very few 10 year old PCs would run the latest versions of Office, etc.

I just bought a 'new' Macbook Air (a 2014 one) to supplant my Macbook, simply because the Macbook weighs so much it caused me to exceed my hand baggage allowance limit last time I flew for work!

The Macbook Air is a fair bit quicker and weighs a couple of kilo less (I think, may be a couple of pounds or 1 kilo), but it only cost me £350, which seems good value for something that will probably still be going strong in 5 years time.

Maybe worth looking at something like that for a fashion-conscious student?

On reflection, I would grudgingly agree that, whilst expensive, Macs do seem to be reasonable value for money, it's not all about the tech spec.

M
    I think you may have to check your 'facts' M. Amongst my 3 laptops and 2 desktops I have an Acer 5920G bought somewhere around 2003 IIRC. It's running Windows 10 and the only issue with that is the IR port is no longer supported, (no loss as I've never needed it), and happily runs the latest version of Office including, and especially, Microsoft Access. It has been the main demonstration machine for showing a very sophisticated and specialised Sales, Service and Inventory management database program to potential customers.

There's a lot of myths around Windows, particularly in the areas of boot time and updates. My experience, (over 40 years in IT), have shown me that these are more usually down to the Nut on the Keyboard than the OS itself, (Vista excepted!).

At the end of the day, Apple Mac are the computer equivalent to Rolex watches. Good, but not necessarily the best. They have a certain 'cache' though that, like Rolex, makes them more desirable than better alternatives.

Having said that, OP, you'd be crazy to talk her into buying something she hasn't set her heart on. Get her what she wants, and smile nicely as she enjoys it.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.