closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideal partner for a Datejust

Ideal partner for a Datejust

Having bought a late 80's Datejust off this very forum just over a year ago I'm conscious that the remainder of my collection is now getting very little attention, so I'm considering trading at least a couple of them in for something that'll get an equal amount of wear.

First thoughts went to another Datejust in a different style or colour, but since then I've also been very taken by the angular case of the Oysterquartz version.

I'd also considered a sub as a more rugged alternative, but that would mean parting with the entire collection aside from the DJ and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to do that. If I didn't then I'd be looking at a budget of £2-4k.

Thoughts?

Sorry to be boring but I would go SubC date or GMTc on Oyster. I consider a light dial Datejust on jubilee with a GMTc on oyster to be a perfect 2 watch collection.

Most people ask for opinions on ideal date just for their partners!

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Sorry to be boring but I would go SubC date or GMTc on Oyster. I consider a light dial Datejust on jubilee with a GMTc on oyster to be a perfect 2 watch collection.
    Interesting - any reason you favour the ceramic bezels other than durability?

Hmm, maybe I have got to the point where I need to have a "cabinet reshuffle" after all...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Most people ask for opinions on ideal date just for their partners!
    Haha!

Maybe so, although it'd be wasted on my OH - she's got a jewellery box full of one-off pieces, yet its only ever the tat from Claire's Accessories that actually gets worn.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    Interesting - any reason you favour the ceramic bezels other than durability?

Hmm, maybe I have got to the point where I need to have a "cabinet reshuffle" after all...
    I prefer the +2/-2 superlative chronometer rating of the more recent models plus the bracelets are a massive improvement. Also, with prices going so nuts for earlier Subs and GMTs I'm loathed to pay so much over the original RRP for them (I suspect this view isn't shared by many here).

I’d suggest either a Speedy, Sub, or GMT-Master II / Explorer II to go with the DJ.
    Last edited by vortgern; 19th November 2019 at 18:21.

Master
    My current collection stands at: 36mm DJ, Speedmaster FOIS, 38mm Zenith El Primero tri colour.

I’d say the DJ and either of those would be a nice combo. The Speedy and DJ would probably be what I’d walk away with.

Grand Master
    Buy another Datejust, there's an excellent example on SC at the moment, very fair price and a highly regarded seller..................OK, God lovers a trier, but I`m surprised how little interest I`ve had on it!

If you like Rolex, a nice contrast to fluted bezel/Jubilee Datejust is an Oyster 36 116000, a watch I like a lot, or an Explorer 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    My current collection stands at: 36mm DJ, Speedmaster FOIS, 38mm Zenith El Primero tri colour.

I’d say the DJ and either of those would be a nice combo. The Speedy and DJ would probably be what I’d walk away with.
    I sometimes regret selling my speedy, but for whatever reason I just didn't seem to wear it enough. That Zenith on the other hand would come within the magic 38mm I seem to be sticking to these days...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Buy another Datejust, there's an excellent example on SC at the moment, very fair price and a highly regarded seller..................OK, God lovers a trier, but I`m surprised how little interest I`ve had on it!

If you like Rolex, a nice contrast to fluted bezel/Jubilee Datejust is an Oyster 36 116000, a watch I like a lot, or an Explorer 1.
    Haha, good effort! Although I am also surprised its still there.

I do like the Oyster 36 and although it may seem wrong to some there's also the option of a DJ with a smooth bezel and oyster bracelet.

The more I think about this the more I wonder if the issue is that I'm just drifting away from sports watches in general.

Grand Master

The more I think about this the more I wonder if the issue is that I'm just drifting away from sports watches in general.
    I was never really into them! I`ve owned a few but I've gone back to where I was 15 years ago, I`m back into the vintage (non-sports) Omegas that fuelled my interest 15-20 years back. That's one reason why the DJ is for the chop, it's a nice watch but I have others that I prefer.......and I still own a near-mint 1986 16013 bimetal version that I'll never part with.

Sports watches have been marketed strongly and they have their fans, but I find it odd when I see collections that are exclusively divers and/or chronos.

Craftsman
    Explorer (1) would be a great partner. Less robust and obvious than the usual sports model suspects yet still different enough to the DJ to add variety.

Outside Rolex, speedy pro is great too. My personal preference is the sapphire sandwich. Having owned the hesalite, the sapphire just makes it that bit more special, including the display back. Others will disagree of course😀

Grand Master
    Why is the Explorer 1 less robust?

It’s got enough water resistance for all but the serious divers in our midst, and more importantly for the typical owner, it’s easier to refinish if it gets marked. No divers bezel to worry about, a reasonably skilled mobkey can refinish an Explorer 1!

This perception of ‘ robust’is very much that......a perception.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why is the Explorer 1 less robust?

It’s got enough water resistance for all but the serious divers in our midst, and more importantly for the typical owner, it’s easier to refinish if it gets marked. No divers bezel to worry about, a reasonably skilled mobkey can refinish an Explorer 1!

This perception of ‘ robust’is very much that......a perception.
    Yep, just a perception.... It has a less robust appearance. Less tool like and less bulky.

Journeyman
    I would go for a Rolex sprts model. Maybe an Exp 2 to stay in the lower end of the budget

Having bought a late 80's Datejust off this very forum just over a year ago I'm conscious that the remainder of my collection is now getting very little attention, so I'm considering trading at least a couple of them in for something that'll get an equal amount of wear.

First thoughts went to another Datejust in a different style or colour, but since then I've also been very taken by the angular case of the Oysterquartz version.

I'd also considered a sub as a more rugged alternative, but that would mean parting with the entire collection aside from the DJ and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to do that. If I didn't then I'd be looking at a budget of £2-4k.

Thoughts?