closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: The new Defender - and James Bond..... soft roader? I know it isnt.....

  1. #1

    The new Defender - and James Bond..... soft roader? I know it isnt.....


  2. #2
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    20,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    It looks like any other LR product,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  3. #3
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    8,065
    Lovely Disco 5

  4. #4
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Scottish Riviera
    Posts
    15,467
    “And I want you to pay particular attention to this, 007. In the glovebox you will find the warranty documentation. You’ll need it.”

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    “And I want you to pay particular attention to this, 007. In the glovebox you will find the warranty documentation. You’ll need it.”
    Yep. LR should concentrate on making their current line up actually reliable, rather than banging out new models with the same issues.

  6. #6
    Journeyman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    "Winner" of Most Disappointing New Car of the Decade, imho.

    Still, at least it's not made in Britain any more, so build quality and reliability should improve...

    *sigh!*

  7. #7
    Grand Master TheFlyingBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire and your back garden
    Posts
    16,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    “And I want you to pay particular attention to this, 007. In the glovebox you will find the warranty documentation. You’ll need it.”




    Very good!

    A month ago I took delivery of a new Merc GLC Coupe 300d. It has been faultless so far - as it damn well should be.
    My next door neighbour took deliver the following day of his brand new Discovery HSE - £70k. It has been back to the dealer twice so far. In four weeks.

    I did consider a Velar, but then took advice.
    So clever my foot fell off.

  8. #8
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,480
    These are going to be sooo popular!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,473
    I want a Landrover but I'm going to buy a Cayenne...

  10. #10
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    6,732
    Blog Entries
    1
    ... and then, the final shot of the video, a LR with a non-British license plate. Normally, not a problem. But on a promotional video of a British car, it's a major marketing fail!

  11. #11
    Journeyman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... and then, the final shot of the video, a LR with a non-British license plate. Normally, not a problem. But on a promotional video of a British car, it's a major marketing fail!
    JLR DGAF - it's an Indian company who are building it in Slovakia, its biggest markets will be China and India, the UK is an absolute irrelevance to them - beyond sticking some Union Jacks on it here-and-there.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    852
    We are launching it at JLR Oxford on Monday from 2-8pm come and see it

  13. #13
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,036
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    JLR DGAF - it's an Indian company who are building it in Slovakia, its biggest markets will be China and India, the UK is an absolute irrelevance to them - beyond sticking some Union Jacks on it here-and-there.
    Sad. Sad but true.

  14. #14
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,480
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I want a Landrover but I'm going to buy a Cayenne...
    Sooo new money....
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  15. #15
    A mate of mine bought a brand new 110 Defender in 2004 from a main dealer. When he collected it, he asked the chap at LR if it came with any guarantee, and the guy said "I guarantee it will let you down!"

    It did - new gearbox needed after a year or so - but he still has it and will never sell it. Probably won't sell my 2000 Defender 90 in a hurry either!

    Best wishes,
    Martyn.

  16. #16
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,480
    It's just style really. You either have it or you don't.

    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  17. #17
    Indian owned and made in Slovakia?
    Great!
    I can dislike it without feeling unpatriotic
    Macan please

  18. #18
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Indian owned and made in Slovakia?
    Great!
    I can dislike it without feeling unpatriotic
    Macan please
    Like your work.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    These are going to be sooo popular!
    Agreed, I think these will sell like hot cakes!

  20. #20
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    17,896
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... and then, the final shot of the video, a LR with a non-British license plate.

    Russian plate. Suppose that's where plenty of them will be heading.

    Btw, that car looks absolute sh*te. Money can buy you lots, but fortunately it still cannot buy you taste or style.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser - probably not Socrates

  21. #21
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Yep. LR should concentrate on making their current line up actually reliable, rather than banging out new models with the same issues.
    Bullseye!

    Nail

    Hit

    on

    Head.

  22. #22
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,480
    Purposeful looking rear end..



    Coming to a country pub near you soon........

    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  23. #23
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    20,318
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Purposeful looking rear end..



    Sat outside a school near you soon........

    Fixed
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  24. #24
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,480
    Land Rover owners have kids too, apparently....(although it's mostly BMWs, Volvos and Audis outside our local school!)
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    2,402
    standard Lanny boxy shape.

    but what was good was that youtube link had this on the page,so thank you for that.

    https://youtu.be/lYpnfKmz9Rk

  26. #26
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,976
    You guys are overstating the reliability issues. I picked up my new Velar in March and it's only been back to the garage for repairs twice......

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    17,896
    Second car I see this week which appears to have been stolen from my daughter's sketchbook.


    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser - probably not Socrates

  28. #28
    Master Tifa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Shropshire UK
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You guys are overstating the reliability issues. I picked up my new Velar in March and it's only been back to the garage for repairs twice......

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    What's a Velar please?

  29. #29
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You guys are overstating the reliability issues. I picked up my new Velar in March and it's only been back to the garage for repairs twice......

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Ryan, on a brand new car, twice is not a remarkable performance tbh. No axe to grind, just saying. And for balance, I had a Disco D4 for two years, without a single issue.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You guys are overstating the reliability issues. I picked up my new Velar in March and it's only been back to the garage for repairs twice......

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Teying to work out if this is sarcasm or something. Sounds like awful reliability.

  31. #31
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Purposeful looking rear end..



    Coming to a country pub near you soon........

    Vitara with an oversized spare.

  32. #32
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,976
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Teying to work out if this is sarcasm or something. Sounds like awful reliability.
    Guys I'm being sarcastic lol. Electrical issues the 2nd time involving an entire new infotainment system

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    17,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Vitara with an oversized spare.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser - probably not Socrates

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Guys I'm being sarcastic lol. Electrical issues the 2nd time involving an entire new infotainment system

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Ha, hence my post. Certainly seems rather unacceptable given the price. My "new" VW is ove 10 years old and over the last 12 months hasn't missed a beat. I'd have been rather upset if it did.

  35. #35
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,949
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Guys I'm being sarcastic lol. Electrical issues the 2nd time involving an entire new infotainment system
    Consider yourself lucky it's a lease!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  36. #36
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Consider yourself lucky it's a lease!.
    PCP actually so I'm screwed!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    My spare is to scale.

  38. #38
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Guys I'm being sarcastic lol. Electrical issues the 2nd time involving an entire new infotainment system

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Fair enough.

  39. #39
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,949
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    PCP actually so I'm screwed!
    Ah.

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Velar

    Best of luck.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,809
    A guy close to me is an Indy Landy specialist and for some reason his garage (and presumably his business) keeps getting bigger and bigger every time I drive past

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, and Devon/Wiltshire, UK
    Posts
    2,251
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Ha, hence my post. Certainly seems rather unacceptable given the price. My "new" VW is ove 10 years old and over the last 12 months hasn't missed a beat. I'd have been rather upset if it did.
    We like our VW Golf R, but in the first two months it had to go back for a new turbo, then a little later a new valve in the heater system was causing a coolant leak.

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    569
    My brother had a Merc GLA, front tyre wear was terrible and tyres were only lasting 4k miles. Eventually MB admitted the design was wrong and fitted new front suspension arms. They collapsed, whilst the car was parked on his drive, puncturing both from tyres. It’s was buy-back after too much wrangling.

  43. #43
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Teying to work out if this is sarcasm or something. Sounds like awful reliability.
    There were over 17 niggling faults with my brand new Toyota Hilux at time of delivery, some are still not fixed now, 3 years later. I just live with them now, as the dealers couldn't give a flying *** about customer satisfaction or repairing known faults.
    Shame, as I moved away from Land Rover (Discovery) as I wanted a more reliable vehicle.

  44. #44
    Journeyman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    There were over 17 niggling faults with my brand new Toyota Hilux at time of delivery, some are still not fixed now, 3 years later. I just live with them now, as the dealers couldn't give a flying *** about customer satisfaction or repairing known faults.
    Shame, as I moved away from Land Rover (Discovery) as I wanted a more reliable vehicle.
    Sorry to hear this, the latest generation do seem particularly prone to faults. I own a 16-plate 3.0L from the previous generation and the damn thing's been faultless so far...
    I wonder if it's in any way explained by the fact that all European-market truck manufacturing was imposed on the Thailand plant at fairly short notice when they realised the 2.8L-engined vehicles made in ZA couldn't pass the latest Euro emissions tests...?

  45. #45
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Sorry to hear this, the latest generation do seem particularly prone to faults. I own a 16-plate 3.0L from the previous generation and the damn thing's been faultless so far...
    I wonder if it's in any way explained by the fact that all European-market truck manufacturing was imposed on the Thailand plant at fairly short notice when they realised the 2.8L-engined vehicles made in ZA couldn't pass the latest Euro emissions tests...?
    All niggling little faults in the main.
    Parking sensors don't work when wet/foggy, DAB doesn't work, front safety camera doesnt work, front screen constantly fogs up, Truckman top fitted incorrectly and stripped the paint off the tailgate down to bare metal within 2 weeks, bluetooth phone volume far sound too low, tow bar installed too high, bumper gone rusty, sat nav didn't work, service indicator set to wrong intervals, the list just goes on.

    The truck has never actually let us down, but I just don't expect a massive list of faults on a brand new truck, and if it does happen it seems I was being unreasonable with my demands to expect the dealer to deal with them.

    I have given up with it now and just put up with all the issues, as I just cant be bothered with it any more. Complaining to Toyota was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mountsorrel uk
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    All niggling little faults in the main.
    Parking sensors don't work when wet/foggy, DAB doesn't work, front safety camera doesnt work, front screen constantly fogs up, Truckman top fitted incorrectly and stripped the paint off the tailgate down to bare metal within 2 weeks, bluetooth phone volume far sound too low, tow bar installed too high, bumper gone rusty, sat nav didn't work, service indicator set to wrong intervals, the list just goes on.

    The truck has never actually let us down, but I just don't expect a massive list of faults on a brand new truck, and if it does happen it seems I was being unreasonable with my demands to expect the dealer to deal with them.

    I have given up with it now and just put up with all the issues, as I just cant be bothered with it any more. Complaining to Toyota was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
    I'm suprised to hear this Toyota used to have some of the best customer service in the buisness I've had 4 Toyota cars and reliability wise the have been excellent the last being a 19 year old avensis and the only thing that didn't work was the sunroof, the hilux seems to have gone down hill my mate ran one for nearly 18 years and I'm sure they blew a building up with one on top on the old top gear and it still started and drove

  47. #47
    Car reliability issues really surprise me given my experiences over the last 10 years - touch wood! - 2x VW Tourans from new, each kept for 3 years from new, zero issues. Ford Fiesta 1.0l ecoboost from new - door trim came slightly unglued after a couple of months, fixed by dealer at first service, apart from that no issues whatsoever. Volvo XC60, now nearing 4 years old, also no problems at all. VW Golf Cabriolet - used approved by VW and 4 years old when purchased, had it 7 months, roof squeaked slightly when closed, fixed it with a squirt of oil on the latch mechanism. No other problems.
    I think I’ve been lucky but I follow a strict rule of ‘nothing made by LR and nothing French’ which seems to work!
    I haven’t even had to resort to Japanese or Korean cars for reliability - I can’t get over the styling tbh.
    Why do people continue to buy deeply flawed products at huge prices? Just don’t get it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    Journeyman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    All niggling little faults in the main.
    Parking sensors don't work when wet/foggy, DAB doesn't work, front safety camera doesnt work, front screen constantly fogs up, Truckman top fitted incorrectly and stripped the paint off the tailgate down to bare metal within 2 weeks, bluetooth phone volume far sound too low, tow bar installed too high, bumper gone rusty, sat nav didn't work, service indicator set to wrong intervals, the list just goes on.

    The truck has never actually let us down, but I just don't expect a massive list of faults on a brand new truck, and if it does happen it seems I was being unreasonable with my demands to expect the dealer to deal with them.

    I have given up with it now and just put up with all the issues, as I just cant be bothered with it any more. Complaining to Toyota was as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
    Damn, sorry to read that, that's not so trivial really - this is basic kit nowadays, and most of it would have been transplanted from other Toyota models, so really should be bug-free.

    Sadly, judging by the Hilux forum, you're far from alone experiencing these kind of issues (and more).

    Still, you could always be worse off - you could have got a Navara and watched the chassis break in half ~7 years old...

  49. #49
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    6,732
    Blog Entries
    1
    The son-in-law and daughter of an elderly couple near me have done a 33k kms (20k miles) trip to Asia with their 10 y/o HiLux camper. The only thing that went 'wrong' was the loss of an small emblem hubcap on the rear left wheel. No kidding. It was their second trip; 5 yrs ago they had their HiLux shipped to Alaska and did the trail from Anchorage to Ushuaia in Argentina, from there back to Montevideo in Urugauy where the harbour was with the ship that took their car back to Holland. Again, nothing went wrong. (Yes, they have no kids and he inherited a lot of money from his parents)

    They have no intention to swap their 10 y/o HiLux for anything else. Perhaps the old(er) HiLuxes are better than the new ones? Apart from that, I can't see any generation LR doing this trip without problems.

  50. #50
    Sooo.. I was seriously considering getting an Evoque Sport next year, so i guess the general consensus is, not to touch any Land Rover/Jaguar cars with a barge pole???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •