closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 223

Thread: The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

  1. #1

    The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

    ..Has not surprisingly crashed the website lol

    I did manage to see a white dial Daytona on sale for £23k before the site crashed. Some will say I was dreaming or that I'm making it up, but it's true.

    Plenty of BLNRs for under £12k too.

  2. #2
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,957
    Yep, loads of BLNRs for £11,875-£14,950.

    About five for £11,875-£11,975.

    Maybe winter has come for Rolex sports models?

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yep, loads of BLNRs for £11,875-£14,950.

    About five for £11,875-£11,975.

    Maybe winter has come for Rolex sports models?
    The SS Professional market has been turning for a little while but when Watchfinder pile in you know momentum is building. They have probably had an external stock audit and someone has panicked.

    These pieces will find a solid support level still well in excess of the RRP though as the performance of Watchfinders website in the last 30 minutes testifies!

  4. #4
    Interesting it's coming up to Christmas as well.Once they have sold them will they invest in new pieces at greater prices thus making the new customer happy with their purchase and fueling the market? Cynical..
    Moi.

    Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    68
    Some disruptive price reductions there which will hopefully quickly filter down to 'flippers' on FB forums etc. BLNR, Sub Date, Deep Sea, Hulks all with sizeable reductions (from a ridiculous starting price I may add)

  6. #6
    Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,957
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    These pieces will find a solid support level still well in excess of the RRP though as the performance of Watchfinders website in the last 30 minutes testifies!
    Their website crashing suggests the prices of some were a bit too cheap possibly, depending on what's left by the time the website's working again. £11.5k-£12.5k for a blnr seems the going rate, but not from a place like WF. Does this mean one on SC is now worth £10.5k, £11k?

    I think someone at WF has just realised (or been told) there is a recession coming.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Their website crashing suggests the prices of some were a bit too cheap possibly, depending on what's left by the time the website's working again. £11.5k-£12.5k for a blnr seems the going rate, but not from a place like WF. Does this mean one on SC is now worth £10.5k, £11k?

    I think someone at WF has just realised (or been told) there is a recession coming.
    Iím not sure this is the case at all. I think loads of people went to the site to look, not necessarily to actually buy.

  8. #8
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,935
    Blog Entries
    14
    Quite an increase in the number of Rolex's being sold on SC recently too. I have wtb's for a number of pieces but have decided to hold off on any new purchases now and wait for the prices to hopefully drop.

    Edit: when was the last time you saw the words 'Rolex' and 'sale' in the same sentence!

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Quite an increase in the number of Rolex's being sold on SC recently too. I have wtb's for a number of pieces but have decided to hold off on any new purchases now and wait for the prices to hopefully drop.

    Edit: when was the last time you saw the words 'Rolex' and 'sale' in the same sentence!
    And your stated strategy is exactly how a self correcting capitalist market operates. Watchfinder appear to believe their size allows them to set the UK market, let's see if they are correct.

    First we had F.O.M.O now we have reverse F.O.M.O!!

  10. #10
    The bottom has dropped out no doubt, now the question is who wants to catch a falling knife

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    They have a lot in stock.....they were clearly holding back!

    They even have a Hulk on sale!

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    The bottom has dropped out no doubt, now the question is who wants to catch a falling knife
    This! Watchfinder putting on a sale will make a lot of flippers/other dealers nervous. A lot more may hit the market and put further downward pressure on prices.

    No harm.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,827
    Hold on, they've had loads of Rolex only sales before haven't they???

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    3,221
    Some very weak auction results recently also, especially the Nautilus seems to have tanked completely, but Omega and Rolex barely reaching estimates too.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Watchfinder putting on a sale will make a lot of flippers/other dealers nervous.
    Couldn't care less about it.

    A dealer who habitually charges well over the prevailing market pushes its prices too far, overstocks and then temporarily reduces prices to levels similar to competitors.

    It highlights yet again what one individual company's pricing structure is about, but no more than that.

    In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale. This follows the obvious warning signs of the company holding a successful Autumn Sale, innovative Summer Sale and traditional Spring Sale. Optimistic buyers looking for the rare black and blue orthopaedic recliner dare to predict there may even be a Spring Sale around the corner.

    "These repeated sales are a clear sign that DFS has been failing continually for the last fifteen years," one concluded.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 19th November 2019 at 13:20.

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    1000

    It is only a percentage of their current stock that has been reduced. If it had been a wholesale reductions on every piece of stock, a lot of sellers and dealers would be taking note but with this limited sale it is more likely trying to kickstart the Christmas run in.

    The reductions on the BLNR shows just how ludicrous their asking prices are on most of their stock and will be interesting to see how much of this reduced stock actually shifts over the next few days, which would be a good barometer on the current market.

  17. #17
    For what itís worth Watchfinder this week are still offering between £12k and £13k for a stickered up unused BLNR on jubilee.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    Naff

    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Some very weak auction results recently also, especially the Nautilus seems to have tanked completely, but Omega and Rolex barely reaching estimates too.
    The Nautilus/Aquanaut and I would include Rolex sports are like Gucci loafers or Hermes/Vuitton belts, they all have a moment in the Sun with the luxury buyers but that fades, the buyers move on to the next exclusive and the loafers, Nautilus etc start to look at bit Naff.

    Must haves, as dictated by the market or Instagrammers will be in hot demand because people are told they are hot but with Social media influences these demands can just as easily be extinguished. The power social media currently has within every marketplace is quite frightening and can pretty much kill a brand overnight if it wished.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,816
    Is it time to sell my Seiko collection for the impending crash which will allow me to pick up a 1680/16800 matte dial next year for £4K?

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    62
    Some one email a link to AC3 please, he'll explode.....

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Some one email a link to AC3 please, he'll explode.....
    What's that maniac on about now ( I unsubbed after he started pimping real animal fur)?

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington , England
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    The bottom has dropped out no doubt, now the question is who wants to catch a falling knife

    Slight market adjustment more like , canít for the like of me see the bottom falling out completely.

  23. #23
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Couldn't care less about it.

    A dealer who habitually charges well over the prevailing market pushes its prices too far, overstocks and then temporarily reduces prices to levels similar to competitors.

    It highlights yet again what one individual company's pricing structure is about, but no more than that.

    In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale. This follows the obvious warning signs of the company holding a successful Autumn Sale, innovative Summer Sale and traditional Spring Sale. Optimistic buyers looking for the rare black and blue orthopaedic recliner dare to predict there may even be a Spring Sale around the corner.

    "These repeated sales are a clear sign that DFS has been failing continually for the last fifteen years," one concluded.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,840
    You forgot the ďmid-seasonĒ sale H!

  25. #25
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    133
    A second email to say they have fixed the "Broken Website"...... but no they haven't , so i guess the interest is still there.

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Herts UK
    Posts
    785
    Our sale was so popular that it broke the website. Course it did🤣 PMSL

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    792
    I mean this could all also just be a clever sales tactic. Watchfinder is so big that it can almost dictate the secondary market in the Uk at least. So if it keeps inflating prices, some will buy but a lot won't because the prices are so huge! But then they drop the prices to closer to what they should be and suddenly people will rush in and buy, probably at a higher rate than if they had just kept prices lower.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    669
    It is working now. No less that 3 white dial Daytonas at £23.9k reduced from around £26k but still not tempting me! Still available if anyone fancies it?

    Interesting some of the BLNRs are being sold for less than they bought my 2014 model for in Sept...

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Winter is coming!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    prices wont drop too low because all the people waiting for the reduced prices then jump on them ,that then creates the demand and the cycle starts again

  31. #31
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Slight market adjustment more like , canít for the like of me see the bottom falling out completely.
    I think thatís the consensus. A Batman at 12-13k from WF is a decent deal. A couple on there with Rolex warranty at that price and full sets...

    Canít really see the value dipping below 10-11k but who knows.

    As a watch to own and enjoy, whatís a couple of grand here or there anyway?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,878
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    prices wont drop too low because all the people waiting for the reduced prices then jump on them ,that then creates the demand and the cycle starts again
    Not if people believe prices will continue to fall. Watches selling for well over list price us a strange situation that (logically) canít last forever, if the perception that these watches are a sound investment changes tge market could fall sharply. This would be a good thing, the current situation is unhealthy for genuine watch enthusiasts and most watch fans would like to see an end to it.........except those who currently own one (or more) of these sacred items.

    Itíll be interesting to see how it all pans out in 2020.

  33. #33
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not if people believe prices will continue to fall. Watches selling for well over list price us a strange situation that (logically) canít last forever, if the perception that these watches are a sound investment changes tge market could fall sharply. This would be a good thing, the current situation is unhealthy for genuine watch enthusiasts and most watch fans would like to see an end to it.........except those who currently own one (or more) of these sacred items.

    Itíll be interesting to see how it all pans out in 2020.
    But these Ďgenuine watch enthusiastsí are also driven by the thought that their Rolex purchase will always be worth more than they paid. Take away that - and the cachet of Rolex diminishes also............

  34. #34
    Market adjustment maybe, but no doubt it's going to pull a lot of people in

  35. #35
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    133
    They have 14 116710 LN for sale.
    They offered me £8.5K for mine 3 weeks ago.
    Even the cheapest, with no papers, in the sale, will still make them money.

    They just settle for less profit, which is what they were doing 5 years ago....

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    Cachet

    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But these Ďgenuine watch enthusiastsí are also driven by the thought that their Rolex purchase will always be worth more than they paid. Take away that - and the cachet of Rolex diminishes also............

    Would love to know when this cachet of Rolex started to grip watch buyers. Was certainly not prominent a number of years ago and doubt that many genuine watch enthusiasts were thinking along the lines of making a profit on their Rolex or that it was some kind of future investment. A single Rolex were bought by many to be there only watch and used through thick and thin, not to be babied or stored in a wardrobe with stickers attached and kept in delivery coffins to add value potential nonsense. Everyone now believes and certainly with sites like a Hodinkee feeding the craze, that every watch is going to be the next million dollar future hit. People who cannot afford to play the Art or housing market, moved into the more financially accessible watch market and have manipulated it and the general public into a perception that money just flows from this ever giving tree.

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    Shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I mean this could all also just be a clever sales tactic. Watchfinder is so big that it can almost dictate the secondary market in the Uk at least. So if it keeps inflating prices, some will buy but a lot won't because the prices are so huge! But then they drop the prices to closer to what they should be and suddenly people will rush in and buy, probably at a higher rate than if they had just kept prices lower.
    I remember an independent clothing outlet in Glasgow who used this tactic at Sale time, would mark up the original asking price by about 20/30%, then at sale time drop it down by 20/30% making it look like your weíre making a good saving when it fact you were paying full price. Funnily enough they ended up closing down.

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    2,676
    I got the email this morning and said 210 now says 198 so sold some like. Was shocked for watchfinder batman 2018 £12875 Bi metal submariner blue kit 2019 £11350

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    The Nautilus/Aquanaut and I would include Rolex sports are like Gucci loafers or Hermes/Vuitton belts, they all have a moment in the Sun with the luxury buyers but that fades, the buyers move on to the next exclusive and the loafers, Nautilus etc start to look at bit Naff.

    Must haves, as dictated by the market or Instagrammers will be in hot demand because people are told they are hot but with Social media influences these demands can just as easily be extinguished. The power social media currently has within every marketplace is quite frightening and can pretty much kill a brand overnight if it wished.
    My Nautilus remains one of my favourite watches, after seven years of ownership. It's widely seen as a modern classic. I know it's a marmite design, but calling it "naff" is a bit much.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    Classic

    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    My Nautilus remains one of my favourite watches, after seven years of ownership. It's widely seen as a modern classic. I know it's a marmite design, but calling it "naff" is a bit much.
    To be straight here, I do not think a couple of years ago anyone was shouting out the Nautilus or Aquanaut as Modern classics but the market changed and suddenly these two inauspicious model from Patek took the spotlight. Whether they remain in the spotlight or continue with the surprising modern classic moniker, we will see.

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    1,340
    The only thing that will end the daft trade well over list is Rolex turning the taps on at the factory and ending the shortage.

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Couldn't care less about it.

    A dealer who habitually charges well over the prevailing market pushes its prices too far, overstocks and then temporarily reduces prices to levels similar to competitors.

    It highlights yet again what one individual company's pricing structure is about, but no more than that.

    In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale. This follows the obvious warning signs of the company holding a successful Autumn Sale, innovative Summer Sale and traditional Spring Sale. Optimistic buyers looking for the rare black and blue orthopaedic recliner dare to predict there may even be a Spring Sale around the corner.

    "These repeated sales are a clear sign that DFS has been failing continually for the last fifteen years," one concluded.
    A pretty good summary IMO. They are only coming back to the general market with the Ďsaleí.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Jockland
    Posts
    473

    Dealers

    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I got the email this morning and said 210 now says 198 so sold some like. Was shocked for watchfinder batman 2018 £12875 Bi metal submariner blue kit 2019 £11350

    Wonder how many other dealers were getting phone calls today on their available stock and being asked to drop the asking price as WF had dropped their prices.

  44. #44
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,861
    Same MO as the mob who had made - a few thousand cheap chronos and advertised them at £1000 in upmarket magazines for a few editions. Mags like BMW-specific mags, Mercedes-specific editions etc.......

    Then 8 months later - they advertised at £450 - citing the original ads (which probably netted them zero sales)

    They flew off the shelves, and only cost them £50.

    (figures are representative, not necessarily accurate).

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Wonder how many other dealers were getting phone calls today on their available stock and being asked to drop the asking price as WF had dropped their prices.
    I do wonder too image that watchfinder is cheaper than yours you are selling

    Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The only thing that will end the daft trade well over list is Rolex turning the taps on at the factory and ending the shortage.
    Could not think of anything better Rolex flooding of premium watches pipe dream

    Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Would love to know when this cachet of Rolex started to grip watch buyers.
    Interestingly, all though Iím relatively new on here, Iíve always seen Rolex as something to aspire to. Whether that aspiration was valid or not is questionable but itís definitely been there for 20+ years.

    During those 20 years, I probably wouldnít count myself as a WIS. More someone with a strong interest. I bought a few Ďniceí watches but even at the lower prices, Rolex were always out of my reach. Family growing up, mortgage to pay, etc, etc. Move forward to now and I have more disposable income and managed to buy my one and only Rolex, a Milgauss, from my local AD. I still see a Daytona as my own personal grail but itís still out of my reach.

    Personally, WF having a sale is still pretty inconsequential to me. £23k vs £26k.... itís disposable income but not Monopoly money!



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    It is working now. No less that 3 white dial Daytonas at £23.9k reduced from around £26k but still not tempting me! Still available if anyone fancies it?

    Interesting some of the BLNRs are being sold for less than they bought my 2014 model for in Sept...
    The white dial Daytona has a retail price of £9550 its being sold at 24k reduced from 26k and people think the market is collapsing?

  49. #49
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,942
    It's not a proper 'sale'.

    Just a lessening of the premium to shift some stock at what is typically a slow part of the year.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The only thing that will end the daft trade well over list is Rolex turning the taps on at the factory and ending the shortage.
    There is no shortage as such. A quick search onChrono24 alone shows 564 unworn 116610's.

    A few grey dealers I know have 5+ subs in stock. They are going straight from the ADs to grey dealers who then falsely inflate the prices.

    I monitor multiple greys on social media and a few of them are sitting on items for weeks if not months. Regardless of what they would have you believe; watches are not flying off the shelves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •