closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

Hybrid View

The Watchfinder Rolex Sale

..Has not surprisingly crashed the website lol

I did manage to see a white dial Daytona on sale for £23k before the site crashed. Some will say I was dreaming or that I'm making it up, but it's true.

Plenty of BLNRs for under £12k too.

Yep, loads of BLNRs for £11,875-£14,950.

About five for £11,875-£11,975.

Maybe winter has come for Rolex sports models?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

The SS Professional market has been turning for a little while but when Watchfinder pile in you know momentum is building. They have probably had an external stock audit and someone has panicked.

These pieces will find a solid support level still well in excess of the RRP though as the performance of Watchfinders website in the last 30 minutes testifies!

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    These pieces will find a solid support level still well in excess of the RRP though as the performance of Watchfinders website in the last 30 minutes testifies!
    Their website crashing suggests the prices of some were a bit too cheap possibly, depending on what's left by the time the website's working again. £11.5k-£12.5k for a blnr seems the going rate, but not from a place like WF. Does this mean one on SC is now worth £10.5k, £11k?

I think someone at WF has just realised (or been told) there is a recession coming.

Master
    Their website crashing suggests the prices of some were a bit too cheap possibly, depending on what's left by the time the website's working again. £11.5k-£12.5k for a blnr seems the going rate, but not from a place like WF. Does this mean one on SC is now worth £10.5k, £11k?

I think someone at WF has just realised (or been told) there is a recession coming.
    I’m not sure this is the case at all. I think loads of people went to the site to look, not necessarily to actually buy.

Blog Entries
    Quite an increase in the number of Rolex's being sold on SC recently too. I have wtb's for a number of pieces but have decided to hold off on any new purchases now and wait for the prices to hopefully drop.

Edit: when was the last time you saw the words 'Rolex' and 'sale' in the same sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Quite an increase in the number of Rolex's being sold on SC recently too. I have wtb's for a number of pieces but have decided to hold off on any new purchases now and wait for the prices to hopefully drop.

Edit: when was the last time you saw the words 'Rolex' and 'sale' in the same sentence!
    And your stated strategy is exactly how a self correcting capitalist market operates. Watchfinder appear to believe their size allows them to set the UK market, let's see if they are correct.

First we had F.O.M.O now we have reverse F.O.M.O!!

I sure hope so! A short wait at an AD and no silly games, or perhaps a small a small premium to purchase with no wait for impatient people like myself :)

Interesting it's coming up to Christmas as well.Once they have sold them will they invest in new pieces at greater prices thus making the new customer happy with their purchase and fueling the market? Cynical..
    Moi.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Some disruptive price reductions there which will hopefully quickly filter down to 'flippers' on FB forums etc. BLNR, Sub Date, Deep Sea, Hulks all with sizeable reductions (from a ridiculous starting price I may add)

Master
    The bottom has dropped out no doubt, now the question is who wants to catch a falling knife

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    The bottom has dropped out no doubt, now the question is who wants to catch a falling knife
    This! Watchfinder putting on a sale will make a lot of flippers/other dealers nervous. A lot more may hit the market and put further downward pressure on prices.

No harm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Watchfinder putting on a sale will make a lot of flippers/other dealers nervous.
    Couldn't care less about it.

A dealer who habitually charges well over the prevailing market pushes its prices too far, overstocks and then temporarily reduces prices to levels similar to competitors.

It highlights yet again what one individual company's pricing structure is about, but no more than that.

In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale. This follows the obvious warning signs of the company holding a successful Autumn Sale, innovative Summer Sale and traditional Spring Sale. Optimistic buyers looking for the rare black and blue orthopaedic recliner dare to predict there may even be a Spring Sale around the corner.

"These repeated sales are a clear sign that DFS has been failing continually for the last fifteen years," one concluded.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 19th November 2019 at 13:20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

A dealer who habitually charges well over the prevailing market pushes its prices too far, overstocks and then temporarily reduces prices to levels similar to competitors.

It highlights yet again what one individual company's pricing structure is about, but no more than that.

In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale. This follows the obvious warning signs of the company holding a successful Autumn Sale, innovative Summer Sale and traditional Spring Sale. Optimistic buyers looking for the rare black and blue orthopaedic recliner dare to predict there may even be a Spring Sale around the corner.

"These repeated sales are a clear sign that DFS has been failing continually for the last fifteen years," one concluded.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    You forgot the “mid-season” sale H!

Master

A pretty good summary IMO. They are only coming back to the general market with the ‘sale’.

Craftsman

It is only a percentage of their current stock that has been reduced. If it had been a wholesale reductions on every piece of stock, a lot of sellers and dealers would be taking note but with this limited sale it is more likely trying to kickstart the Christmas run in.

The reductions on the BLNR shows just how ludicrous their asking prices are on most of their stock and will be interesting to see how much of this reduced stock actually shifts over the next few days, which would be a good barometer on the current market.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post

Slight market adjustment more like , can’t for the like of me see the bottom falling out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Slight market adjustment more like , can’t for the like of me see the bottom falling out completely.
    I think that’s the consensus. A Batman at 12-13k from WF is a decent deal. A couple on there with Rolex warranty at that price and full sets...

Can’t really see the value dipping below 10-11k but who knows.

As a watch to own and enjoy, what’s a couple of grand here or there anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have a lot in stock.....they were clearly holding back!

They even have a Hulk on sale!

Hold on, they've had loads of Rolex only sales before haven't they???

Craftsman
    WF have continued to up prices, likely this was done recently in order to facilitate sale so punters think they are “getting a deal” right before Christmas.... prob not a coincidence!

For what it’s worth Watchfinder this week are still offering between £12k and £13k for a stickered up unused BLNR on jubilee.

Journeyman
    Some one email a link to AC3 please, he'll explode.....

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    Some one email a link to AC3 please, he'll explode.....
    What's that maniac on about now ( I unsubbed after he started pimping real animal fur)?

Craftsman
    Our sale was so popular that it broke the website. Course it did🤣 PMSL

Master
    I mean this could all also just be a clever sales tactic. Watchfinder is so big that it can almost dictate the secondary market in the Uk at least. So if it keeps inflating prices, some will buy but a lot won't because the prices are so huge! But then they drop the prices to closer to what they should be and suddenly people will rush in and buy, probably at a higher rate than if they had just kept prices lower.

Master
    It is working now. No less that 3 white dial Daytonas at £23.9k reduced from around £26k but still not tempting me! Still available if anyone fancies it?

Interesting some of the BLNRs are being sold for less than they bought my 2014 model for in Sept...

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    It is working now. No less that 3 white dial Daytonas at £23.9k reduced from around £26k but still not tempting me! Still available if anyone fancies it?

Interesting some of the BLNRs are being sold for less than they bought my 2014 model for in Sept...
    The white dial Daytona has a retail price of £9550 its being sold at 24k reduced from 26k and people think the market is collapsing?

It's not a proper 'sale'.

Just a lessening of the premium to shift some stock at what is typically a slow part of the year.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The white dial Daytona has a retail price of £9550 its being sold at 24k reduced from 26k and people think the market is collapsing?
    No. But it’s the first time WF have reduced prices on these “in demand” pieces.

Do people expect it to collapse over night and half in price? No.

But there is downward pressure for a change.

Craftsman

Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I mean this could all also just be a clever sales tactic. Watchfinder is so big that it can almost dictate the secondary market in the Uk at least. So if it keeps inflating prices, some will buy but a lot won't because the prices are so huge! But then they drop the prices to closer to what they should be and suddenly people will rush in and buy, probably at a higher rate than if they had just kept prices lower.
    I remember an independent clothing outlet in Glasgow who used this tactic at Sale time, would mark up the original asking price by about 20/30%, then at sale time drop it down by 20/30% making it look like your we’re making a good saving when it fact you were paying full price. Funnily enough they ended up closing down.

I am sure there will have to be a price correction at some point with most sports Rolex currently selling over RRP.
    If you go back only 2-3 years nearly all the then current sports models were obtainable from dealers below RRP.
    Example I purchased a 2016 Sub ND which was a few months old at the time and retailed at £5000 for £4600 from Blowers.
    Anyone who cannot see it is deluded in my opinion.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 20th November 2019 at 16:30.

Winter is coming!!!

prices wont drop too low because all the people waiting for the reduced prices then jump on them ,that then creates the demand and the cycle starts again

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    prices wont drop too low because all the people waiting for the reduced prices then jump on them ,that then creates the demand and the cycle starts again
    Not if people believe prices will continue to fall. Watches selling for well over list price us a strange situation that (logically) can’t last forever, if the perception that these watches are a sound investment changes tge market could fall sharply. This would be a good thing, the current situation is unhealthy for genuine watch enthusiasts and most watch fans would like to see an end to it.........except those who currently own one (or more) of these sacred items.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not if people believe prices will continue to fall. Watches selling for well over list price us a strange situation that (logically) can’t last forever, if the perception that these watches are a sound investment changes tge market could fall sharply. This would be a good thing, the current situation is unhealthy for genuine watch enthusiasts and most watch fans would like to see an end to it.........except those who currently own one (or more) of these sacred items.

It’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out in 2020.
    But these ‘genuine watch enthusiasts’ are also driven by the thought that their Rolex purchase will always be worth more than they paid. Take away that - and the cachet of Rolex diminishes also............

Market adjustment maybe, but no doubt it's going to pull a lot of people in

Craftsman

Cachet

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But these ‘genuine watch enthusiasts’ are also driven by the thought that their Rolex purchase will always be worth more than they paid. Take away that - and the cachet of Rolex diminishes also............

Would love to know when this cachet of Rolex started to grip watch buyers. Was certainly not prominent a number of years ago and doubt that many genuine watch enthusiasts were thinking along the lines of making a profit on their Rolex or that it was some kind of future investment. A single Rolex were bought by many to be there only watch and used through thick and thin, not to be babied or stored in a wardrobe with stickers attached and kept in delivery coffins to add value potential nonsense. Everyone now believes and certainly with sites like a Hodinkee feeding the craze, that every watch is going to be the next million dollar future hit. People who cannot afford to play the Art or housing market, moved into the more financially accessible watch market and have manipulated it and the general public into a perception that money just flows from this ever giving tree.

[QUOTE/]In other news, over on Furniture Forum members are discussing a massive depression in that market as DFS announces a Winter Sale.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that Rolex is a premium luxury brand (a cash cow at that) and DFS are a retailer of generally unknown brands.

As someone stated above, the words "Rolex" and "Sale" have never been seen together for at least 3 years. The fact that the biggest used reseller in the UK is selling them off reduced should be enough to show that they are struggling to shift them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jackin_jill View Post
    The difference is that Rolex is a premium luxury brand (a cash cow at that) and DFS are a retailer of generally unknown brands.

As someone stated above, the words "Rolex" and "Sale" have never been seen together for at least 3 years. The fact that the biggest used reseller in the UK is selling them off reduced should be enough to show that they are struggling to shift them.
    Er......they are yo-yo pricing recidivists, repeatedly swinging the pendulum as high as possible, then dropping it when they have gone too far, before quickly trying to swing it back up again.

The comparison with DFS is valid and they HAVE held Rolex sales consistently for as long as they have been in business. I know, because I used to write them six figure cheques to take a dollop of excess (mainstream) stock off their hands before they started the public sales.

You say that you "monitor multiple greys on social media." That may not give you a complete, real world picture. It is my rather extensive experience that anything properly priced at the moment is flying off the shelves almost as soon as offered.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 19th November 2019 at 21:19.

Still loads of Batmans (Batmen?) for sale. Struggling to sell at 12k

Many trust Watchfinder more than chrono24 and other greys, so I would suspect they can charge a premium above market rate

So maybe something closer to 11k is where the market achieves clearing on Watchfinder

Might mean 10-10.5 is where everyone else needs to be...

Craftsman

Selling

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Many trust Watchfinder more than chrono24 and other greys, so I would suspect they can charge a premium above market rate

So maybe something closer to 11k is where the market achieves clearing on Watchfinder

The BLNR, Daytona’s and Pepsi are not flying out of any of the secondary dealers windows from what I can see with the current stock levels in tandem with the ludicrous pricing and that is why the surge in interest in the Explorers and datejusts over the past 12months.

There is undoubtedly a sweet spot for your average Rolex buyer and maybe an inflated over RRP 6k on an Explorer1 or 8k for an Explorer 11 are a little more manageable than a 25k Daytona outlay or 12-13k on a GMT.

Watchfinder are maybe finding that out but will be of interest to see how much of this sale stock does sell and not just the so called Hot pieces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Was offered a Batman and a Pepsi last Friday at an event at a jewellers, price was 14k and 14.5k !! Politely turned them down and perused the new Seiko instead!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Loads on Watchmaster shown with a discount also -

For eg https://www.watchmaster.com/en/shop/rolex/gmt-master-ii

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    Loads on Watchmaster shown with a discount also -

For eg https://www.watchmaster.com/en/shop/rolex/gmt-master-ii

Hahahahahahaha......search for previous threads about Watchmaster and discounts.

Edit : here’s a freebie for you https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...aster+discount

There is a lot of wishful thinking about prices in the current crop of threads.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 19th November 2019 at 22:42.

Hahahahahahaha......search for previous threads about Watchmaster and discounts.

Edit : here’s a freebie for you https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...aster+discount

Slightly off topic but I just spotted this on that link:

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/rolex...ode=CPFG4MLLGX

What an abomination!

Master
    as usual haywood is right, WF's MO is to chase the market up, such that they are always ahead of it, if they have to drop the premium a little so be it, they can chase it up again if there is demand.

for most of us it matters little, my hulk might be worth less than i think but the cost to change it to a daytona is around about the same, i.e. too high

Craftsman

I’m only noting that they’re showing discounts currently. I’m not interested in buying from them myself. I think it’s interesting how many of these hard to buy from Rolex Rolex’s are available on the pre-owned market also - just looking at GMTs for example, there’s 15 on watchfinder, 43 on watchmaster alone.

Quote Originally Posted by benwisback View Post
    I’m only noting that they’re showing discounts currently. I’m not interested in buying from them myself. I think it’s interesting how many of these hard to buy from Rolex Rolex’s are available on the pre-owned market also - just looking at GMTs for example, there’s 15 on watchfinder, 43 on watchmaster alone.

And hundreds on chrono24