closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2019, a Year Without a New Watch

2019, a Year Without a New Watch

As 2019 draws to a close, with there being no watch under the Christmas tree, I can now say this year has been the first in many, and certainly the first since joining TZ in which I have not bought/acquired/received a watch!

In fact the last watch I bought was on the 24th December last year. That was this little beauty bought for SWMBO, a Seiko Presage. It has a fantastic dial as you'd expect and the wife loves it. First watch she has ever owned that she genuinely wears most days.

You have to go back a further 6 months to my last purchase for myself. The intent at that time was to consolidate my collection and buy a watch to suit all (if not, most) occasions. I decided on this Grand Seiko GMT. Apart from a gorgeous and rare SBCM023 worn on the odd weekend, I am nearly a one watch man*. I have not looked back.

*Of course I own a G-Shock or 2!

I came very close to picking up one of the new Seiko 5 range later this year, but all it did was reiterate how much I enjoy owning just one automatic. I love just picking up my watch, putting it on wrist and then off I go. The problem with owning a handful of automatics is they really become a manual wind collection, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being an auto. I like knowing my wearing the watch is what keeps it going.

Sure there are nice watches out there that I'd like to try, but the GS still feels special every time I put it on. When I don't, the SBCM023 also feels special owing to it's small size, accuracy, rarity and all other things that make it a nice watch.

I've ended up with a perfect 2 watch combo, and I can't see it changing. I had thought maybe 6 months in I'd have flipped or at least added some more affordable watches and built a collection again, but I've chosen to admire watches from afar rather than amassing ownership and it's still been enjoyable.

So there, it can be done! Almost a one watch collection.

I think that's a perfect one-watch solution, frankly. GMT, 100m WR (if I'm not mistaken), bracelet and... well, beautiful.

Craftsman
    May be in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk