closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend an ice scraper for windscreens please

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I use a 5 litre empty mineral water bottle which I fill up in evening and so I am ready to go in the morning. I put the heater on with visors pulled down which apparently helps clear windscreen quicker.

As mentioned I do open windows when parking up the night before which I think helps.
    Will only stop frost inside window.

Master
    What about something like Duxback? Meant to be good for rain and prevent frost sticking - apparently anyway as I haven’t used it. Anyone had any experience with it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere that if you lower all your windows when you get home for about 20 mins to equalise the interior / exterior temp, then they'll be no ice to scrap the next day.
    You can of course just turn the heater temp to cool for the last 5 miles of your journey and open the window a smidge.

Craftsman
    Best scraper I've used - Iceplane. Available on Amazon

Master
    I have in the past with decrepit works vans filled a hot water bottle (or 2l bottle, pop etc) with hot water and put it on the dash early on, this means I could relock the vehicle, the heat from the bottle was enough to melt/soften the frost whilst I got ready for work at leisure and come to drive away with minimal effort. The bottle of warming water was kept handy in case of frozen washer jets and I used to clear the muck away if reqd.

Master
    Warm water from a plastic milk bottle followed by a rubber wiper. Job done. See some folk sitting in their car with a frosted windscreen with just the wipers on. Beats me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is it metal? Never found an un-heated one uncomfortable.
    Maybe you never get cold hands. I suffer from mild Reynauds syndrome so after a few hours in cold weather- hiking on the moor or standing on the rugby club touch line my fingertips go numb and white. Heated steering wheel sorts that out in minutes.

Journeyman
    I use my B&Q trade card.

But that only gets around 10% off.

Current car has pre conditioning, which just simply means I programme the time I want to set off and when I jump in it’s a cosy 23C and windows are all clear, other than that a couple of litres of tepid water. Never ever scraped the screen unless stuck at work in bad weather.

Ford own patent.
    I’m sure I read that the patent had now expired which is why it’s now available from other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’m sure I read that the patent had now expired which is why it’s now available from other manufacturers.
    Yes, think you're correct. Not sure why they're not more widespread.

Master
    Can’t say I get the scraper thing myself. When I stay at my GF’s, her neighbour opposite will be scraping sometimes at 5:30am and honestly scrapes his car for a good 10 minutes solid, back n forth in tiny movements removing every last trace of frost (a good thing, yes) but it’s so loud especially so with those harder clear scrapers that seems to make the sound worse.

I get up and pour water over my windows and drive off within about 20 secs of leaving the house! Seems to be some old school fear of windows exploding when doing this but I’ve been doing it for 25 years and never had an issue.

And then there’s the other thing mentioned, the large screen cover. Again, what’s the point of wrestling with that when you’re leaving for work when 10 secs of pouring water sorts it?

I get that it’s not an option in other countries when severe below, but the majority of time in the UK water does the trick.

But it’s just one of those things where people are stuck in their ways and won’t change how they do it. I’ve even waved morning to the guy opposite when ‘defrosting’ my car as he scrapes mm’s at a time. I have visions of him saying to his wife “that idiot across the rd is gonna be sorry when his windows explode”

I’m tempted to get him a can of de-icer as an anonymous xmas gift (not that I condone the use but he might get the msg)

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I’m tempted to get him a can of de-icer as an anonymous xmas gift (not that I condone the use but he might get the msg)
    De-icer doesn’t have to be in a can. Spray bottles are available (or make your own).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

De-icer doesn’t have to be in a can. Spray bottles are available (or make your own).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which naturally leads to the next question: Is there a recipe for homemade de-icer?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Which naturally leads to the next question: Is there a recipe for homemade de-icer?
    It’s usually a mixture of isopropyl alcohol (try 30-50%) and water.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Yeah, water!

But as mentioned above, IPA and water mix in an old window cleaner bottle if you must.

I use Rain-X on my screens and an additional benefit is less frost to deal with, a spray bottle with water sits in the garage and that's warm enough to deal with whatever's left.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Most everyone in Finland has one of these. You can reach the middle of the windscreen without humping the dirty side of the car. The scraper part is removable and has three business ends. It’ll outlast the snow brush. Costs less than a fiver. Only downside is that you’ll need a separate squeegee(?) for those misty mornings.

Edit. These come in sizes from about 50cm to 90cm long
    Trust the Finns - they sell their snow-how.

I used to use a car cap. The neighbours used to laugh, but I was always the first away in the morning, without paying for aerosols of de-icer, or watching people pour kettle of boiling water on their windscreens.
    Last edited by Templogin; 25th November 2019 at 00:04.