closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best packed lunch sandwich combo?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    A double decker

Two pints of Stella "sandwiched" between three Marlboros
    This sounds rather indulgent!

Brilliant responses so far, a good months worth to try I think. Some will need careful planing since I work in an office environment and colleague well-being is a priority...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    This sounds rather indulgent!

Brilliant responses so far, a good months worth to try I think. Some will need careful planing since I work in an office environment and colleague well-being is a priority...
    Just pack some extra and hand it out to your co-workers. A bite from a tasty sandwich will kill all negative comments.

Last year, I did some teaching in a class with refugees. Schools don't provide lunches here, so all had to bring their own. I've tasted the most exotic food last year - and they were all happy and proud to give me a small bite. As well as they shared lunches (= tastes from their homeland!).

Menno

forgot to add chrimbo favourite toasted sandwich of: turkey, stuffing, cranberry jelly and blue cheese

Master
    French Baguette with the bread ripped out of the middle then filled to the brim with slow cooked beef in gravy and a couple of blobs of English mustard.

So nobody on this thread has ever made a packed lunch (apart from the OP), and looks like the majority had to Google what a sandwich even is 🤣

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    So nobody on this thread has ever made a packed lunch (apart from the OP), and looks like the majority had to Google what a sandwich even is 藍
    Not sure about that tbh! I always made my own before retiring. Coudn't trust the missus to put the Walkers crisps, Laughing Cow cheeses, and pickled onions in with the sandwiches! There are some things the fairer sex will never grasp.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Sliced cheese (usually something like Edam for me as lower cals and higher protein, or Leerdamer light) and Tesco Finest thick cut ham cooked on the bone (half pack per sandwich), on Molenburg medium sliced, with Branson pickle, bread buttered one side, and smeared with ketchup on the other. Alternatively I swap the ham for corned beef - same sandwiches every time for me - quick and easy. I always make them the night before and put them in Sistema 450g sandwich boxes.

Easier to make up 2 days worth at a time and leave in the boxes in the fridge ready to go. Alternatively, make up a whole weeks worth and put in the freezer, in the boxes, and take however many you want for the next day out and put in the fridge the night before.

Works well for me
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Meatloaf sandwich lots of yellow mustard with sour cream and onion ruffles potato chips.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I'm amazed nobody has mentioned Pickled Onion Monster Munch yet.

Surround with the cheapest white sliced you can find together with a couple of layers of processed burger cheese for just about the claggiest comestible imaginable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    So nobody on this thread has ever made a packed lunch (apart from the OP), and looks like the majority had to Google what a sandwich even is 🤣
    5 days a week for 30 years...

Corned beef, tomato and pickle on tiger bread doorsteps, had one yesterday very nice.

Just remembered, my Nan used to give me lettuce and sugar sandwiches when I was a nipper. Don't know why.

Craftsman
    Pesto, salami and rocket. Best on ciabatta...tomato and cheese optional extras. Or, if you're feeling like going up-marker, tomato sauce and wotsits.

Corned beef and mango chutney is genius. Thick sliced bread though ... otherwise it’s too moist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    some of us remember the delights of a haver ration from the cookhouse.

A limp cheese or ham sandwich on cheap white bread, spread with foul tasting margarine and wrapped in clingfilm to sweat.
    A packet of the cheapest crisps available out of date and crushed into crumbs.
    A piece of fruit thats never going to ripen in a week let alone on the 5 hour back of a Bedford road trip to somewhere wet and muddy.
    A cheap brand of panda pop or something equally laden with sugar.
    and if your lucky a mini pack of custard creams just in date but again in crumbs and going soft.

happy days

This would be a Maltese thing but very tasty- we use crusty sourdough, no butter, spread with tomato paste (the Maltese version is very sweet compared to the tomato purée you find in British supermarkets but a tiny drizzle of honey compensates), then some fine chopped fresh parsley, finely sliced onion, tinned tuna, dot some capers on it (preferably brine cured if you can find them), pinch of sea salt, good twist of black pepper and a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Looking forward to Christmas dinner purely for the left-overs, basically the entirety of Xmas dinner; including cold sprouts, in a crusty baguette. Yum!

Turkey
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast tatties
    Stuffing
    Parsnips
    Sprouts
    Chestnuts
    Carrots
    Gravy
    Baguette
    Cranberry sauce

Master
    TZ Sandwich thread?? Yes I am interested!

In a lunchbox, cheese and pickle, on any bread, and heavy on the pickle!! Some times, just for a change cheese and onion, and in 2 sandwiches (4 slices) at least half an onion sliced up. Could eat that every day for lunch!

If I’m having a sandwich at home, thick brown bread, proper butter, and asparagus just boiled and put into the sandwich hot so that the butter melts, but I only tend to have those in asparagus season. Down here in Sussex every farm shop is awash with the stuff for about a month every year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bite! (pun intended).

My all-time fave is 2 slices of white Warburtons thick toast sliced bread, lurpack butter with thick sliced corned beef, sliced vine tomatoes and some HP brown sauce.

That is all.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Doesn't anyone have Branston pickle anymore?
    Corned beef and Branston on white bread.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yes, and lots of others posting too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    No! Sharwoods Mango Chutney every time.

Blue cheese (as strong as you like) and mango chutney. A surprisingly good combination.

Master
    Lemon curd when sweetness is required.
    Savoury, I’d say coronation chicken or Red Leicester with Heinz sandwich spread.
    For a really weird one, Fry’s chocolate cream and loads of butter. Weird I know but it’s much nicer than it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheese and pickle! Flippin’ ‘eck.

Right, this is how you do ham. None of yer namby pamby pickled gherkins or nothing.

White bread, home made. If you can’t do home made, Sainsburys are doing the nearest I’ve ever found, San Francisco style sourdough, lovely. Butter. Home cooked ham, at least as thick as the bread and just a tiny sprinkle of salt, not too much, you don’t really want to taste it but it has to be there. And don’t cut all the fat off the ham either. That’s where the special taste is my friend.

If you absolutely have to buy ham, don’t whatever you do buy reformed. Yuk. Get cooked on the bone but basically your own cooked will taste soooo much better.

Master
    Pit piece, cheese, jam with sliced banana put on just before you eat it. Mmmmmm.

Toast (white or brown, as preferred), sausages halved lengthwise and spread with marmalade.

Not just delicious, but also won’t go all soggy if wrapped in a napkin, stuffed in a pocket and taken onto the hills in Scotland.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm in a similar position as the OP, so I appreciate all the suggestions.

When I'm lacking ideas my go to sandwich is: white bread, good ham, English mustard, lashings of Mayo. Lettuce if you want to feel healthy.

Lacking ham you could always use Spam......

Tapatapatapatapatalk